Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 RAW files thread...?

Is it me or did the thread about the insane shadow detail you can pull out of K-5 RAW files disappear? I can't find it anywhere, and I just posted in it a few hours ago.

12-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

all the posts made in the last 24h seemed to have disappeared
12-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed. That's what I was just sort of figuring out.

I hope this isn't some kind groundhog day, infinite loop kind of thing. If I had to choose a day of my life to repeat, I wouldn't really choose this one. I took a tour of the hospital birthing center, had a latte, and got a new book. I guess it could be worse...
12-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I hope this isn't some kind groundhog day, infinite loop kind of thing. If I had to choose a day of my life to repeat, I wouldn't really choose this one.
HAHAHA !

12-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax Forums was having trouble with a hacker or the likes and was or is in the process of changing servers.

Wakey Wakey Rise and Shine its Ground Hog Day
12-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/124510-error-...data-loss.html

IT database error...
12-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just to get this thread restarted, here is a quickie... the photo was an error, I was twiddling with the shutter button and the shot just went off. The flash was off.

I know it doesn't look too good, but the point is that no work at all was done except +4 exposure and "auto adjust" in adobe camera raw. Originally shot at f6.7 iso400

I'm sure if I took the time to adjust exposure better, colour balance it, and a little shot in noise ninja it would look a lot better, but I was still impressed that what was essentially a handheld black frame had this much info in it!

Pat

12-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
THats freakin amazing. I will be more impressed after I try the same kind of process between my K20D and K-5 for comparison since I never tried a 4-stop adjustment with any camera.
12-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #9

Here is my pics again. My thread seems to be vanished.

Lr values:
Exposure +1,85
Fill Light +71
Brightness +116
Tone Curve: Lights +16, Darks +9
Noise reduction: Luminance 0, Color 25
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

this is really impressive

cheers
12-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Speaking of raw files, I never had this issue before but now since these files take up so much room, is there a program that lets you view .DNG files in windows explorer instead of having to open them in photoshop/lightroom? I use to save both jpeg and raw but these files are huge compared to my D40....I want to only save raws now.

Sorry if its a little off topic but I am searching all over the net and xoming up empty.
12-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok here are my images again... Gah. If this all happens again tomorrow I'll freak.

Here is an very poorly exposed image from a recent shoot.

Here it is after excessive Lightrooming.

And here is a closer in crop with a split screen so you can see a direct comparison.

The part of his pants in the light portion of the split image was straigh up black. When hovering the cursor over is in LR before the processing, that section was reading from 0.0 to 0.4 percent. So effectively, so black that it's not even showing up as existing in places. The amazing thing is not only how much shadow detail can be preserved, but how freaking clean it is. There's barely any NR on these shots, and it's really not even needed. I don't know what kind of crazy, voodoo, unicorn riding, witch doctor designed this chip, but it's nothing short of magical.

Excuse the rather awful image quality. I pulled these over from FaceBook. They look much better in lightroom.
12-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

And this is more-or-less where I posted my pointless comment about needing to sell a kidney so I can afford a K-5 of my own.

The zombie thread, it lives, IT LIVES!