Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #1

How effective is SR in the K-5?

Hello. I'm wondering if K-5 owners could talk about effectiveness of Shake Reduction, and to post some pics. I'm coming from Nikon and certainly VR is a good tool (about 3 steps). Thanks

12-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

"It depends" on shooting conditions , especially the user and focal length. On average I can get 3 stops or 8x slower shutter with SR than the 1/(Fcl length x 1.5) secs. shutter speed (for APSC) rule.

It gets harder with longer exposure times. For example a 1/2 second exposure, even with a short focal length, gives you so much more opportunity for an unexpectedly strong hand-movement, which would ruin the photo, SR or not.
12-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. A question: i think that when you use SR you don't see the effect in the viewfinder, doesn't you? Is there any reference or signal in camera, like Sony, about the level of shake?
Regards
12-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Malake Quote
Hello. I'm wondering if K-5 owners could talk about effectiveness of Shake Reduction, and to post some pics. I'm coming from Nikon and certainly VR is a good tool (about 3 steps). Thanks
The effectiveness of Pentax SR is an interesting question. I'll probably do a quantitative test of it when time permits.

From my measurements for the K-7 and my first results for the K-5, I'll say it depends. My impression is as this:

For tele lenses you may expect about 2 stops if you stay faster than maybe 1/160s.

Between 1/160s and 1/40s, I'd say it is between 1 and 2 stops depending on the focal length (better for longer focal lengths but then, a shorter focal length doesn't need much improvement here).

Below 1/40s, the gain seems to be 2 to 3 stops with a "sweet spot" around 1/15s where the gain can exceed 3 stops indeed.

With respect to lens base IS, there are lenses outperforming Pentax SR and vice versa. It will really depend on the lens and its focal length and deployed shutter speed.

For any SR or IS, it is good advice to attempt 2 or 3 shots in the critical region. The difference between best and worst shot is always significant (probably by more than a stop different) due to the nature of shake physics.

12-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Malake Quote
Thanks. A question: i think that when you use SR you don't see the effect in the viewfinder, doesn't you? Is there any reference or signal in camera, like Sony, about the level of shake?
Regards
VF doesn't see shake reduction. But honestly, what you see is what you get, i.e., there is as much shake as you see in the VF

The VF has an SR ready signal (a hexagon). If you shoot before SR is ready, you shoot unstabilized. So, watch out for it if you have to rely on SR.

LV is stabilized and seems to work better than lens-based IS when it comes to stabilized video. Esp. as it compensates pitch, yaw and roll movements and not only pitch and yaw like lens-based IS.
12-02-2010, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
VF doesn't see shake reduction. But honestly, what you see is what you get, i.e., there is as much shake as you see in the VF

The VF has an SR ready signal (a hexagon). If you shoot before SR is ready, you shoot unstabilized. So, watch out for it if you have to rely on SR.
Could it be? Could falconeye really be human after all

The green hexagon is the focus confirmation, it's the green hand that is the SR ready indicator.
12-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

The green hexagon is the focus confirmation, it's the green hand that is the SR ready indicator.
Man, am I glad I am human

Thanks for spotting this.

12-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #8

I replaced my K20D with a K5. The SR on the K5 seems to be significantly more effective than the K20D at low shutter speeds. Especially using the camera in low roomlight at from 1/30 down to about 1/8.
12-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #9

I did an SR test with my k-x. In movie mode, I was driving...no in the passenger seat, at night just filming other cars and what I did was point the centerfocal point at a spot on another car and see how well I could hold steady and record for a few seconds.

Then I did that same test with SR off, and when I watched both videos, I noticed a nice dampening and not too much noticeable shake with SR on. I don't have much experiences with other cameras, but I think it did a good job. Try it!
12-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

Oh man, this puts the entire shutter blur test in a new light...

12-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.
12-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #12
Banned

Well Falk, would be nice to have a real test. I think that the SR from the K-5 kicks in just a little faster then the K-7 did. Without real messurement. So that would mean that for people who don't look at the hand in VF they have more pictures stabilized because the K-5 is ready earlier. Or am I wrong in this? Love to see the test.
12-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
I've just switched from an Olympus E-30 to the K5.

I think the SR in the Oly cameras is more effective. I would say from the anecdotal evidence from around the web for Pentax K5/7, is that one can expect about 2 stops of correction, more perhaps for long lenses. As always, use the fastest shutter you can, and try to stick to 1/focal length (equivalent) if possible.