Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by myeates Quote
Thanks for that, I have to say that Cliftons have been very good they are arranging collection from me for next week, they did say it would not be collected until after the 4th I guess they are aware of the closure. I will keep you posted.
Not at all impressed with Mifsuds.
I had to start quoting the sale of goods act just to get them to refund the return postage costs.

12-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #197

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
Strange, Pentax France simply told me they would "Contact me again soon re/ this issue". Well that was almost 2 weeks ago, but it's holiday season and I didn't really expect any prompt action. I called them 2 days ago for the focus issue (as my K-5 suffers both…) and it seems they had somewhat lost track of my request. Oh well.
They promised they would call-me-back-soon-really-this-time, but never advised me to get a new one from my retailer.
They also said the AF problem would "probably" be solved with a firmware update "in January"
I used the web form to submit my question, and this is the response (received a day after I sent it)
"
Thank you for your enquiry.
Please contact your dealer. Your camera will be replaced.

I hope that your question has been answered to your satisfaction.
Should you have further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

When replying, please make sure this email is included."

With kind regards,
Pentax Digital Camera Support Team
01-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #198

I'm glad to be able to say I received my replacement body today, serial #395xxxx. No stains. I'm in Sydney, Australia, and I was very impressed with Digital Fun Stuff, where I bought my unit from. They are only a small shop, but they were completely fuss-free and very prompt with their communication and actions. It only took a couple of emails (both replied to within a couple of hours) and a photo showing the problem (and mine wasn't as bad as some I've seen around). They rang Pentax the same day and confirmed it will be replaced, and that they will notify me as soon as they have unaffected stock. I got an email notificaiton yesterday, and today I have the new body. Credit also to the local importer, C R Kennedy, for their part.
01-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #199
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by syoon1970 Quote
I'm glad to be able to say I received my replacement body today, serial #395xxxx. No stains. ... They rang Pentax the same day and confirmed it will be replaced, and that they will notify me as soon as they have unaffected stock. ...
Great.
Curious, could you check the manufacturing date with PhotoME?
Just want to know what serial# I should ask for when I call my dealer.
(I have a 385xxxx which was manufactured 10-10-17)

01-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #200

QuoteOriginally posted by Wiker Quote
Great.
Curious, could you check the manufacturing date with PhotoME?
Just want to know what serial# I should ask for when I call my dealer.
(I have a 385xxxx which was manufactured 10-10-17)
Hi Wiker, manufacturing date field shows 2010 Dec 7th. I hope your dealer will be as helpful as mine was.
01-07-2011, 04:09 AM   #201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My camera has been replaced by CR Kennedy with no fuss. Serial number 396*****
01-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #202
Veteran Member

Hello all, I am not sure if it is still important to mention, but anyway. I acquired a string-stained k-5 first week of december, no.3850624. Today I received from Pentax dealer De Beukelaer, BeNeLux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg) my brand new new K-5. No stains. No. 3954911. A perfect K-5. No hassle, no problems, just a bit of time, all well now.
Good luck to all of you out there to get one. Have faith, all will be well.

01-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #203
Veteran Member

I have been chasing the Pentax dealer I got my K5 from (southern UK) all the time but they have no idea when new stock will arrive.

They got one body in the other day but it went to somebody else.

Their entire stock was returned to Pentax after xmas.

I told them there are people out there getting new cameras but their response was these must be grey imports, probably from the USA. Well, they would say that - it's a standard response. I bought the K5 from this shop because their price matched any other, but other cameras (e.g. the Canons) are some 20% cheaper bought from the US sources (which often have UK fronts so you can't tell).

My feeling (as a businessman of 30+ years) is that a lot of people in the trade are scratching around for K5 bodies to ship to people who scream loudest or perhaps demand a refund. These are not new batches but cameras which made it through the dodgy QA of the original production run and which appear to be OK.

IMHO therefore it is better to wait until completely new stock starts to come through. Mine has a bad exposure wheel as well and god knows what else has not been inspected after manufacture. There is no point in getting another body as a swap if it comes from the same batch.
01-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote

IMHO therefore it is better to wait until completely new stock starts to come through. Mine has a bad exposure wheel as well and god knows what else has not been inspected after manufacture. There is no point in getting another body as a swap if it comes from the same batch.

Mine had very bad staining plus a dodgy front wheel.
It went back to Mifsuds nearly 4 weeks ago and Johnsons actually received it Thursday. Saying that they were closed for 2 weeks plus with Xmas post and the weather I suppose I can't really complain.

SRS Microsystems (who I would normally use for my Pentax gear) have replaced all their faulty batch with new bodies which have much newer serial numbers and apparently are marked on the box by Pentax as having been checked.

As I said .. can't really complain but after 4 weeks I'm starting to get a little annoyed.
01-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #205
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How much longer should I wait before buying one (US) ?

Has the inventory been depleted and have the newest lots been QCed for stains?
01-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #206
Veteran Member

Most of them have the higher serial#, should be no problems
01-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #207
Veteran Member

SRS are probably a US importer.

I normally use Park Cameras (up the road from me) but not unless their price is very similar to reputable mail order, which it quite often is. PC have no new K5s at all and the woman tells me she has no idea when...

But like I said I don't want a body which is from the old batch but been inspected by some ape in a UK warehouse, and I fail to spot something else on it.

I am rarely an early adopter, having bought my last Pentax (K200D) just about the time Pentax stopped making it I really liked the K200D but the K5 is in a whole new class when it comes to low light performance.
01-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #208
Veteran Member

SRS are the largest Pentax Pro retailer in the UK .. all their equipment is UK stock.

They sponsor the UK Pentax User forum and even give members free postage.
01-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #209
Veteran Member

In that case I would be really interested in why SRS are getting new K5s when Park Cameras claim to know nothing...
01-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
In that case I would be really interested in why SRS are getting new K5s when Park Cameras claim to know nothing...
LINK to thread on Pentax User forum.
Closed Thread