Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

Memory card error

I bought a K-5 last month and I've encountered the error "Memory card error" several times when turning on the camera. Just turning the camera on and off obviously doesn't help; however, ejecting and inserting the card again resolves the matter.

This is with a Sandisk 16 GB Extreme SDHC. I haven't found a specific way to reproduce the error. Just now I turned off the camera (the card was functioning correctly), popped out the card, put it in again, turned on the camera, and... error. Hm. Took it out and in again and it worked.

It's not a big problem but it's slightly unsettling. Not sure if it's the card or the camera. Any ideas?

Last edited by andersju; 12-05-2010 at 08:38 AM.
12-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tried formatting the card in the camera?

- Jason
12-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andersju Quote
I bought a K-5 last month and I've encountered the error "Memory card error" several times when turning on the camera. Just turning the camera on and off obviously doesn't help; however, ejecting and inserting the card again resolves the matter.

This is with a Sandisk 16 GB Extreme SDHC. I haven't found a specific way to reproduce the error. Just now I turned off the camera (the card was working), popped out the card, put it in again, turned on the camera, and... error. Hm. Took it out and in again and it worked.

It's not a big problem but it's slightly unsettling. Not sure if it's the card or the camera. Any ideas?
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
Have you tried formatting the card in the camera?

- Jason
I've had that happen with my 8Gb SD extreme in my K7 (Well, someone else's k7 now) but haven't seen it yet in the k5. In fact, I can't recall it happening in the K7 after I updated to the latest firmware.

It's an intermittent issue and since I take the card out of the camera to put it in the computer's reader, the rabbit is lost so to speak. I've never tried it in the camera because when it happens(ed), the camera wouldn't do anything that required access to the card. It might be something as simple as dirty contacts but I don't know. The card has a lifetime warranty (IIRC) so next time it happens, Sandisk will be sending me a new card.

12-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just now I turned off the camera (the card was working)
You mean the camera was writing data to the card (red light flashing on back of camera) when you turned it off? Uhm, not a good idea...

12-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
You mean the camera was writing data to the card (red light flashing on back of camera) when you turned it off? Uhm, not a good idea...
No. Sorry, bad wording there. I just meant the card was functioning correctly at the time; i.e., it didn't give me the error.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's an intermittent issue and since I take the card out of the camera to put it in the computer's reader, the rabbit is lost so to speak. I've never tried it in the camera because when it happens(ed), the camera wouldn't do anything that required access to the card. It might be something as simple as dirty contacts but I don't know. The card has a lifetime warranty (IIRC) so next time it happens, Sandisk will be sending me a new card.
I'll try a different card for a while and see if the error disappears. They do indeed have some kind of lifetime warranty, so I'll contact them too.
12-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a flaky contact ... have you tried another card? If that helps (and the problem still persists when you switch back) changes are that the problem is with the card, otherwise it could be the camera connector.
12-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Just now I turned off the camera (the card was working), popped out the card, put it in again, turned on the camera, and... error.
Thats a pretty good way to create a problem.
Why do we go out of our way to make things not work and then complain when we succeed?
Anyway, I had a couple of card errors on my K20 and K7. Formatting the card in my computer (fat32, not ntfs) and then formatting it again in camera solved it.

12-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Thats a pretty good way to create a problem.
Why do we go out of our way to make things not work and then complain when we succeed?
Anyway, I had a couple of card errors on my K20 and K7. Formatting the card in my computer (fat32, not ntfs) and then formatting it again in camera solved it.
If you (like a poster above) interpreted it as if I turned the camera off while it was writing to the card, I apologize for the ambiguous wording. I just meant that the card was functioning correctly. As I wrote just a few hours ago, the camera was NOT doing anything when I turned it off - I'm not that stupid

Trying a different card now.
12-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

Just recently with my K200D I got the same errors on two different SanDisk class 4 cards. Never any problems for two years until now.

My problem was after turning on the camera with the grip on, firing off a photo
the screen would stay black and the blinking light would flicker for about a good
twenty seconds before I would get one of two messages "camera cannot save
photo" or "memory card error" which would then delete the whole card.

I have taken off the batt. grip hoping that has something to do with it since
I cannot get it to do it again with the grip off.

So far my opinion and my point is I do not think my similar problem to yours is the cards.
Even after reformatting. Unfortunately I think it is a camera problem.

For the point of money I hope it is a card problem for you but for two quality cards to do it
for me seems to be a camera issue.

Last edited by PinarelloOnly; 12-06-2010 at 09:13 AM.
12-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #10

I had that problem with 2 Sandisk Extreme cards on a K10D years ago. I changed
to Lexar and never had the problem again. It's a fairly common problem not all
cards work in all equipment.
12-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have used more than a dozen SanDisk cards, all but two Extreme III, on K10D, K-X, K-7.

Never had that problem.

Never did anything special to keep cards clean and safe other than always returning them immediately to the plastic case. Always formatted them in camera and did so with each new insertion. Used them with exclusively Windows computers (for those who see import in that). Always downloaded from card readers rather than camera. Card readers were generally, and now exclusively, SanDisk MicroMate.

I don't know who cares about the above info, though ......
12-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #12

Still fake cards out there!

If you bought it from a reputable source you're probably OK, but there are plenty of fake cards still being produced and sold. Some of them have found their way into normal distribution channels. The fakes often have good counterfeit packaging and can be hard to spot.

I would run a check on the card size and speed to make sure it really is what you think it is!

Mike
12-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
If you bought it from a reputable source you're probably OK, but there are plenty of fake cards still being produced and sold. Some of them have found their way into normal distribution channels. The fakes often have good counterfeit packaging and can be hard to spot.

I would run a check on the card size and speed to make sure it really is what you think it is!

Mike
Mine came from Newegg. It included sandisk's recovery software which successfully registered on the sandisk site.

12-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be aware that it may also be the SD card unit thats the problem.

My first K20d would freeze solid at random when trying to write to the card. After trying and buying a whole bunch of cards (some premium cards) I had to exchange the camera and never saw the problem again. The store tech did confirm the problem when I returned the camera.

Pat
12-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #15

Original Poster
Just a quick update - I tried the same card in a video camera. It detected the card, but wanted to format it, and failed at formatting it. Ejecting the card and inserting it again, it worked fine... I also had problems with it when trying it in my Zoom H2 recorder. So, I'm certain my K-5 is fine. And yes, it is a real Sandisk, bought in a reputable brick-and-mortar store locally. Never had a problem with Sandisk before but I suppose sometime's gotta be the first