Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Positive K-5 review

Good to see the K-5 downing the D7000 ...

Products and Reviews | Search | TechRadar UK

12-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice find. Now try to find a negative review on K-5. That would be quite a challenge.
12-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, it's a good read - but roughly the same as the other reviews I've read (which is all good!). It is so nice to see Pentax's flagship DSLR model directly compared to and beating the competition.
12-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
Yeah, it's a good read - but roughly the same as the other reviews I've read (which is all good!). It is so nice to see Pentax's flagship DSLR model directly compared to and beating the competition.
Enjoy it while you can, because when Nikon releases the D400, I expect the reviews to be even more glowing. Not that it will necessarily be a better camera than the K-5, but that reviewers are conditioned to ranking Nikon and Canon above Pentax. And what does it really matter? We all know that the K-5 is a winner.

Rob

12-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #5

Feel very happy to see K5 getting the good reviews it deserves in many websites.
12-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
but that reviewers are conditioned to ranking Nikon and Canon above Pentax
Disregarding medium format such Pentax 645D, Phase One and Hassy you could be right.
But about D400, i doubt nikon is brave enough to release a camera without its secondary video capability such as D90 and D7000. Just think, what if the the 645D has the EXMOR sensor. Don't you think the users around will say... * WHOAAAA !! * , maybe NOT.
...buaobao
12-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Closed Account

I'll add my 2 cents on that!
I have a K10D and just received my K5 last week. Many out there have or have had a K this and K that...but I now consider that the K5 is a major step from the K10 and are the 2 major milestones of Pentax development in recent years. I truly enjoy all the new features and consider them all very extremely usefull. The next step will be a full frame using, there again, the 645D experience. Strangely enough, still very little is said about the K5 in the press and maybe that means that Pentax is finaly resurfacing at the top alongside the big C and the big N, where it was long ago (spotmatics, LX, 6x7...) and more to come, I'm sure.

12-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Enjoy it while you can, because when Nikon releases the D400, I expect the reviews to be even more glowing. Not that it will necessarily be a better camera than the K-5, but that reviewers are conditioned to ranking Nikon and Canon above Pentax. And what does it really matter? We all know that the K-5 is a winner.

Rob
Well, I hear ya and there's only one way I can see Pentax changes this:

1) Expand market share (TAKE IT FROM CANIKON) by competitive prices for high quality equipment.
2) Expand lens line (Why must I buy a long lens from Sigma?????) to be competitive (notice I did not say directly compete) with Canikon
3) Market the product (love this site - but I think this site does more for marketing Pentax than Pentax does...). Do this by doing the following:
a) Directly compare products - it's worth doing especially when old glass is factored in!
b) Do this little thing called advertise
c) Court pros who publish photos and get some published from Pentax equipment
d) Did I say advertise?
e) Court the magazines like Canikon does
f) Ummm...advertise some more

So I digress...(did I say market the product in any way)...the conditioning you mentioned is a result of Canikon courting the reviewers, magazines, pro photographers, and all the others supposedly 'in the know'. Canikon sells good products - I don't question that. So does Pentax - they need to play at least a some component of the game if they plan to successfully remain in business. That's why this matters. If Pentax doesn't maintain a viable business we all lose...
12-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #9

Pentax K-5 has been rated as the best DSLR (in the up to 2000 € league) by the german photography magazine ColorFoto. Olympus E5 scored 2nd and Canon 60D/Nikon D7000 are tied in 3rd place.
Such tests don't matter much to me but it's definitively not bad for this competitive market if Pentax is ahead of the rest for once.

overview
(English translation)

test result
(English translation)

Last edited by aguest; 12-08-2010 at 01:06 PM.