Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #211
Aon
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I asked my service center about this. They said that Pentax has acknowledged that some cameras have this problem. The guy told me that i can send my camera to them. They will check if it's normal dust (in which case i'll have to pay for the cleaning) or whether it's the case we're talking about here (in this case it goes under warranty and they'll ask Pentax what to do about it).

12-08-2010, 04:36 AM   #212

Mine, I'll have to wait a bit more than a month (my parents are taking the camera overseas with them), supposing that I even hear anything more from Pentax before I can get it looked at.
12-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #213
Veteran Member

I got my replacement K-5 body yesterday.

The bad new is there is a "string of pearls" on the second sensor as well.

The good news is it's lighter in color and tough to see in the vast majoirty of shots not designed to try and find the issue (i.e. "real" shots). This is in contrast to the first defect which even at f/8-11 could be seen without too much difficulty on the preview LCD of the body at 2x.

Also, the defect on the second sensor is in the lower left quadrant of the frame while the original defect was just above the center of the frame. So in terms of placement, the second defect is also an improvement. Obvisouly I would prefer it wasn't on the frame at all, but given that there is an issue, at least in a less noticable location.

So short of spinning the wheel one more time and trying a third body, I'll probably just return the first body, keep the second body and see how it goes. I have a year to send it back to Pentax if it becomes an actualy issue in my images and/or I just want to have it taken care of.

Here are the two defects, 100% crops at f/32, without the application of levels or anything to enhance them - so basically how they appear on a light background under "normal" conditions.

Last edited by dgaies; 12-08-2010 at 05:40 AM.
12-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #214
Forum Member

At f22 there is the "string of pearls" stain. I have serial number 3889386. I already have the return authorization from Amazon, and will just use my K-7 and new K-x for a while to see how this all shakes out.

12-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #215
Forum Member

Sorry. I previously reported that my K-5 had a stain. It turned out to be dust that I was able to blow away with my Rocket Blaster. Please adjust my report from yes to no.
12-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #216

sensor Perfect

Serial number 3858xxx, received from Adorama 3 weeks ago, sensor is absolutely immaculate... and I really tried hard...
Seems like later serial numbers are less affected...
xGene
12-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #217
Forum Member

Just came back from MAPCAMERA in Tokyo. could not resist the price. Thanks to the picture submitted here - I knew what to look for. First body I checked had 3 spots . showed it to the guy at the shop + showed him the forum pages - so with no question asked he gave me another box. check the second body gone up to F 36 - this on is clean! so I bought me a present for new year hope it will stay this way!!!
The only problem I have is the manual is in JP and Pentax site has an error so I could not DL the english manual to my PC. any link guys?
Thanks

12-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ofer Hadas Quote
Just came back from MAPCAMERA in Tokyo. could not resist the price. Thanks to the picture submitted here - I knew what to look for. First body I checked had 3 spots . showed it to the guy at the shop + showed him the forum pages - so with no question asked he gave me another box. check the second body gone up to F 36 - this on is clean! so I bought me a present for new year hope it will stay this way!!!
The only problem I have is the manual is in JP and Pentax site has an error so I could not DL the english manual to my PC. any link guys?
Thanks
http://www.pentax.ca/pdf/o_manuals/om_K-5_e.pdf
12-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #219
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Serial number 3858xxx, received from Adorama 3 weeks ago, sensor is absolutely immaculate... and I really tried hard...
Gene, you don't have to "try real hard" to see the contamination. It's quite apparent at f22 and up at 1:1 (100% zoom), no need for crazy magnifications. If you don't see the contamination at that normal size, then chances are your sensor is fine so enjoy your great camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ofer Hadas Quote
Ofer, have a look at: http://pentax.ca/pdf/o_manuals/om_K-5_e.pdf

Pat

edit: D'oh!!! Alex beat me to it!!!
12-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
edit: D'oh!!! Alex beat me to it!!!
I had to download the manual yesterday, so I still had the link...

Frankly speaking though, after being used to Nikon's "?" button, I felt like an idiot having to open the manual...

Last edited by alexeyga; 12-08-2010 at 10:28 AM.
12-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #221

One dot, almost in the centre of picture, visible from F/9. Bought in Poland, SN: 38395xx. Tomorrow I will send my camera to local service center.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
12-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do the serial numbers show a "trend" at all for the problematic sensors?
I mean: any way of knowing if this is only for a certain serial number range?

JP
12-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #223

I woud like to report two more

First one: Yes - SN 3839455
Replacement: Yes - SN 3882858

Tomorrow I`m going to the store to take another one. But I think it might be the same.
Bought in Poland.

Last edited by micopat; 12-08-2010 at 02:48 PM.
12-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #224
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LDevil Quote
One dot, almost in the centre of picture, visible from F/9.
Are you sure thats not just dust? It doesn't look like the usual cluster of "cells". I assume you tried to clean it with a blower?

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
It seems to be all over the place up to now... but then again we have no way to know how the Pentax manufacture assigns serial numbers (the contaminated models may all come from one work station? who knows!) or uses batches of sensors.

Pat
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

JP
JP I think that would help only if we had the sensor assembly S/Ns. There is no guarantee that sensor ass'y xxx1 will go into camera xxx1 and etc. I'm sure pentax has a record of what sensor went into what camera, but it may not be linear.

NaCl(it would be nice if it was tho)H2O
Closed Thread