Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow Mokey!!! Your camera has it REAL bad!!!

Pat

12-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Wow Mokey!!! Your camera has it REAL bad!!!

Pat
ha ha, its like couple of strings mated and gave birth to a full colony..
12-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #33
bfo

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Mine's got it too. Pentax Canada hasn't gotten back to me yet, but my retailer will help me out if Pentax doesn't step up. Here is a shot with the "pearls" visible plus a crop. Their above the branch hanging over the mountain. Can't figure out how to add arrows.
Are you absolutely sure that's not birds?
12-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by bfo Quote
Are you absolutely sure that's not birds?
Please tell me your joking? No, they are not birds...they are on every shot tested in the same place with different lenses.
And yeah, I seem to have gotten a very "pearly" one...that's what I get for trying to get the first K5 in Canada.

12-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Mine's got it too. Pentax Canada hasn't gotten back to me yet, but my retailer will help me out if Pentax doesn't step up. Here is a shot with the "pearls" visible plus a crop. Their above the branch hanging over the mountain. Can't figure out how to add arrows.
Wow that's pretty bad. Do you remember the F stop or thereabouts?

Hope that they take care of you....they should
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #36

Oh Great! Now mine has it too!

Just got on the forum to ask about buying a flash and now I have Sensor Pox (aka S.O.P)... hopefully it is not the forum...

Anyway, don't have a lot of time to devote to it at the moment, but I did just pop outside and took some sky shots at different apertures...

Sure enough, at ISO 80, f29-f8 on my 18-55 wr kit lens and with my DA 40mm 2.8 I get them right in the middle of my frame... and if you know where to look, on mine, they are noticeable at ALL apertures, but most egregious from f8 and up... I will do some more shots later and post my findings.

Funny, didn't notice them before, guess the shots I have been taking are busier and wider open... but needless to say, I will be pursuing this with Pentax... as another poster mentioned, "it's not acceptable".

I will also post my findings from my contact with Pentax about the issue and hope others might do the same. I trust Pentax will want to rectify the problem pronto with those of us that didn't wait for all the bugs to be worked out of the camera. That way, we will keep reporting all the GREAT things about the K5.

Cheers!
12-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I am convince now that some of the camera do have a severe issue, that the one with the string of point. Some have minor issues and that the one with single point and light .
Now , my position will be to sent a a registered letter to Pentax (in Country were camera is bought and dealer ) informing them that you have a defective camera and include a photo of the defect . Informing them that you expect they resolve the issue but in the meantime your intention to keep the camera but you could returned at any time.

12-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Wow that's pretty bad. Do you remember the F stop or thereabouts?

Hope that they take care of you....they should
Aperture was 22 / iso 100 / shutter 45
12-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #39
Forum Member

as far as i'm concerned there will be string of Pentax k5s refurbished and available at a lower price.
12-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #40
Veteran Member

It's amazing that so many forum members were quick to trivialize and/or discredit, often in a snide, mocking tone, those who first reported this. Folks weren't given the benefit of the doubt but instead were treated to chest-beating remarks akin to Live with it Crybaby or Don't be such a Wuss.
12-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Always good getting things in perspective. I remember controversy over the K10 too, and it has ended up serving me very well. Seems I shouldn’t be overly concerned getting the K5.

Thommo is a fine chap. From what he reports, the solution is a new A-A filter, so the repair shouldn't be too hard. And that Pentax received faulty A-A filters from a third party manufacturer.

Leica handinspects, under close scrutiny, many products that leaves the factory. But guess few of us would be willing to shell out the extra for it.
12-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Thommo is a fine chap. From what he reports, the solution is a new A-A filter, so the repair shouldn't be too hard. And that Pentax received faulty A-A filters from a third party manufacturer.
Is this reliable information?
It isn't in line with what Pentax told me.

BTW, AA exchange is not easy. To replace the K-5's AA filter by a dummy costs about 480 Euro.
12-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Is this reliable information?
It isn't in line with what Pentax told me.

BTW, AA exchange is not easy. To replace the K-5's AA filter by a dummy costs about 480 Euro.
Hi Falk,
I’m just citing what Thommo stated, in the link from earlier in the thread :
Flickr: Discussing K5 problem in Pentaxians

“It looks like all they need is a new A-A filter, so a repair would not be hard. It's just a bit of glass.”

“He said it appears likely Pentax received faulty A-A filters from a third party manufacturer.”

Maybe for a big corporation it is possible to get the prices down, compared to what we as private persons would have to pay to be without the AA filter.

I believe the Leica M8.2 is an example of a camera that is though roughly checked before leaving the factory. But then we’re talking 3-4.000 $ camera. Don’t think many Pentaxians would go for that set-up instead. Then people would likely prefer to have a camera sent back under warranty.

Seems Thommo is taking it in stride :
“I'm not losing sleep over this - but it looks like I'll be back to the DS for a while - and that's not necessarily a bad thing!”

Those Aussies got a relaxed attitude at dealing with issues.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 12-09-2010 at 01:57 PM.
12-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member

jonson: that sounds like pure speculation, rather than actual statements/information. if you followed falk on the issue, you probably know that, by now "we know more" thanks to him.

point in case: most people (me included) tend to think of the sensor as "silicon sensor + aa filter thinggie". few people realize the (optical) complexity involved, or they don't stop to think about it if they do have the knowledge.

i'd chalk it up as gossip (with all due respect to an aussie shooting a ds )
12-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
What is this "string of pearls"?
It's a Glenn Miller song

Take a look at all the Sensor Stain threads in the K5 forums.

The photos shown in this thread pretty much confirm for me, no problems. I think I've been extremely lucky with these Pentax cameras. I never seem to experience the issues that plague others.