Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Real photos (not test shots) showing the "string of pearls" stains?

I'm in the market for a K-5 (or Panny GH-2, but that's another story) and want to get a sense for how the "string of pearls" stains is affecting photos.

No test shots please - there are other threads for that.

Real videos (not test videos) demonstrating the impact of the "string of pearl" stains appreciated as well.

Thanks.

12-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have found a string of stains on my sensor under highly artificial testing conditions (f/22, blank surface, completely out of focus to obliterate any detail, ISO 80), but I simply cannot find any real world photo I've taken where I can even see them, even though I know exactly where to look.

At f/11 they are completely indistinguishable from normal sensor noise in all my photos, even at ISO 100 against a blue sky. Thus, I have no shots for this thread because the effect they have on my photos is 0.
12-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cannikin - I actually am happy to read this. I have been thinking about checking for the spots on my new K5 but now worried I will find them but if in real world I would never notice why should I go looking. BUT.... it is a bummer that they are there if there wether I know or not.
12-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I have spiders in my basement. I know for sure they are there.
I don't have to go look for them.
As long as they stay in the basement, I'm not too worried.
I can't believe how worked up people are getting about this.
Stuff happens. If it happened to you, there is this thing called warranty.
Get it fixed and move on.

12-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

John,
While I can easily identify the string o' pearls (SOP) it is not visible in *any* real-world shot I've taken. I suspect I would detect it under magnification in, say, an architectural shot with expanses of white walls or facade if taken at a small aperture. But I rarely shoot above f/16 due to diffraction effect.

Looking over test photos submitted by other forum members one can see cases where there is/are larger spot/s off-center frame that is/are obtrusive. IMO those are not cases illustrating the SOP and can likely be removed via home or shop wet cleaning.

My net conclusion is that, assuming the defect remains static and never worsens, I will not have issues.

What concerns me is:
1) Will the SOP worsen in time and present an issue?
2) Will the SOP lower its resale value? I can just imagine posting it for sale here and being asked about the stain. Certainly I'm not going to lie.
12-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm in the market for a K-5 (or Panny GH-2, but that's another story).
As a sidebar, the GH-2 indeed looks fantastic. I'm getting it as soon as it's available. No DSLR on the market will touch it for video. And I'm guessing stills will compete at the K5/7D/7000 level. Wish it had a top LCD though.
12-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have spiders in my basement. I know for sure they are there.
I don't have to go look for them.
As long as they stay in the basement, I'm not too worried.
I can't believe how worked up people are getting about this.
Stuff happens. If it happened to you, there is this thing called warranty.
Get it fixed and move on.
Well said

12-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #8

While no "SOP" in the narrower sense, these here are supposedly stains that are impossible to get rid off. Doesn't look like dust to me either.
12-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
even if you dont have spots in real world shooting conditions you should check for them and make sure you get it fixed before you warranty runs out or else your camera will be worthless 2nd hand.
12-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That is unacceptable. I assume you're initiating a replacement?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rainer Dynszis Quote
While no "SOP" in the narrower sense, these here are supposedly stains that are impossible to get rid off. Doesn't look like dust to me either.
12-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
even if you dont have spots in real world shooting conditions you should check for them and make sure you get it fixed before you warranty runs out or else your camera will be worthless 2nd hand.
Since the camera will be "worthless" second hand, I offer to buy any K-5 with stains on the sensor for $1.00 US, each. Seller pays shipping.
12-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Since the camera will be "worthless" second hand, I offer to buy any K-5 with stains on the sensor for $1.00 US, each. Seller pays shipping.
At some point, used DSLRs are worthless anyway. Buying a DSLR based on resale value is a fools game at best.
12-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Zav
Pentaxian

What is this "string of pearls"?
12-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the upshot of what I'm reading here is that these K 5 "stains" are basically invisible in all practical applications of the camera. At least, no one can produce a real-world picture that shows the effect.

In other words, the whole thing is vastly overblown?

wow.
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I think the upshot of what I'm reading here is that these K 5 "stains" are basically invisible in all practical applications of the camera. At least, no one can produce a real-world picture that shows the effect.

In other words, the whole thing is vastly overblown?

wow.
You are right though some have reported it being visible at f11, the exception is macro photography where you tend to stop down to f22 or more in order to get better DOF. These tend to be a bit specialized in nature and the subjects tend to have a lot of contrast and detail which may mask the problem.

I am guessing if you took a light colored flower picture at these apertures they would show up.

The issue is though having spent $1500 on a camera do you expect it to have non cleanable dust sandwiched in the sensor array? I don't.