Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If i were shooting sports for a living i'd go for the Canon 5dmkii (10 frames a sec, excellent L glass etc. But since you have a pentax 300mm f2.8, i think renting a K5 is an excellent idea. I look forward to your test/findings and if you decide to switch, the sale of the 300mm f2.8.

Last edited by ivoire; 12-07-2010 at 06:33 PM.
12-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
If i were shooting sports for a living i'd go for the Canon 5dmkii (8+frames a sec, excellent L glass etc.
5d mkII shoots less than 4fps and has the same AF system as the original 5d.

It's not a sports camera.

To the OP, I have the K-5 and the FA* 300mm f2.8 but haven't yet tested them together. I was hoping for more AF points in the K-5 as well but am hoping that the new 5 point AF mode should help me some. The screw drive lenses that I've tried so far on the K-5 all seem slightly faster to lock it should be enough for me.

If I were to get serious about sports shooting then I think I'd do it properly and go the Nikon D3s.

bazz.
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

For sports, I would jump.
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
5d mkII shoots less than 4fps and has the same AF system as the original 5d.

It's not a sports camera.

bazz.
Right u r, should have said EOS-1D Mark IV

12-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
You must have missed the second part of my post then )
Yeah having two parts is not playing fair.
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
You've captured some nice action shots with the K-7. IIRC you had a rugby shot in the pouring rain that was great. It will be sad to see you go.
Thanks and I agree with allof what you say, I love the size, weight and weatherproofness of the K-7 and am very annoyed that I even have to consider switching. I love to be able to afford to run two systems, one for sport and Pentax for everything else, but can't.

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The K5 is very likely a great camera body for sports, but that with the one lens that has DC won't get you very far in the sports arena when competing against a Nikon D3s. The K5 sensor is fantastic, but the D3s full frame is still a bit better. (although perhaps not enough to warrant an additional $4K)

I shoot some sports, but not enough to make the $12K switch worthwhile (what I figured I need for all new body and lenses). I'm sure I could take a percentage of great shots with Pentax, but could I do better with top-of-the-line Nikon equipment? Probably.
If you're happy with the crop sensor the Nikon D300s or Canon 70D are fine machines and very capable at sport. But yes, it's not just the body the matters.
12-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I also love it when I got to something and I'm the only Pentax there! Have to use a Sigma lens though.
12-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #22

Original Poster
I appreciate all the great feedback. But I should probably clarify a couple things. I am a track and filed coach and as such don't make a ton of money. For me Photography is more of a hobby, if i make over a $1000 a year i'd be ecstatic. That being said there is no way I'm going to ever get a D3 or for that matter Nikon's version of the 300/2.8.

It's pretty obvious that any full time sports photographer will be using a nikon or canon. But i will never be able to afford the top end bodies or glass.

If i jump it's going to be to a d7000 and a 70-200/2.8 with a tele-converter. To get that I'm going to give up 2 k10's, 18-55 kit lens, Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5, FA* 300/2.8, a 50/2, k1000 and a AF540FGZ.

Most of my photography is sports, but i also do a good bit a creative photography. I feel like i would be giving up a lot. If the k5 was good enough, i could sell my k10's and save up a little cash and still have a good lens selection.

On a side note, i hacked into my k10 yesterday and calibrated the focus for the 300/2.8. It is a wold of difference... I used to not be able to shoot at 2.8 and use auto focus. So we'll see how that works.