Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Corrupted Files in Lightroom

Has anyone else had problems with corrupted DNG files from the K-5 when processing in Lightroom. I've had anywhere from 1 to 4 in pretty much every shoot. This has happened with two different cards (both brand new) and three different shoots. Happended with both Lightroom 3 and 3.3.

The camera can see the file fine, but when imported to Lightroom the bottom half of the image is white with horizontal colored strips.

Any ideas? Problem with the card, software, card reader...?

12-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had that experience not infrequently with Lightroom 2 and my K10D PEFs. It was very frustrating when it happened. Have you tried opening the same image files with another raw converter? If the second program can read them successfully, then the problem is an incompatibility with ACR/LR. As a general rule, I think that everyone should have at least one other raw converter as a back-up.

Rob
12-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently downloaded a free PhotoScape and am having the identical problem even with my K20 D. I assume it is in the software of the program, never has happened in Elements.
Regards!
12-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I doubt LR3.3 is the culprit here. I was using LR3.2 with most of my DNGs and they all came out fine. Same goes with LR3.3.

It looks like you already eliminated the SD cards as the source of the problem already. Next you should check whether the reader is at fault. Try importing the same corrupted files through the camera using the USB cord that came w/ the camera. If those files don't end up corrupted, then you know the reader is the problem.

- Jason

12-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with checking the reader and also trying another converter. But I would still be suspecting the card. If your cards are brand new, and the same brand, bought from the same place, maybe they came from a bad batch.

The only time I have had this happen was with some RiDATA CF cards I was using in my D3. I bought 4 cards at once, and it happened randomly with all of them.....maybe 1% of the files on average. What brand of card are you using, btw?
12-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had some problems with corrupted files that had to be reloaded. Then thought it was the ext hard drive, so bought another hard drive with more problems.

Finally figured out it was the connecting cord between the drive and my laptop - threw the damn thing in the trash. intermittent short. Problem solved.

best wishes, but watch out for those cords - they're out to get you :-)
12-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
The cards are two Sandisk Extremes that I got at the same time. I'll try to import through the camera; have been using the slot in my laptop.

12-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blockamon Quote
have been using the slot in my laptop
This sounds familiar. I recall a thread not so long ago where some other dude found his in-built laptop SD card reader was corrupting files. They must be very prone to getting dust and dirt in them, or something.
12-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had similar problems a few years ago when my DS was new. I was only capturing in JPG at the time and Elements would open the image to a certain spot then stop. Opening the file in Paint.NET revealed pixel corruption at the spot that the images stopped loading in Elements. The corruption showed as a group brown pixels. Cloning the brown areas out fixed the problem, and Elements would then open the file. I was using a Sandisk Ultra card and I always transferred by a cheap card reader which died long ago.
I have since been diligent in always formatting the card rather than just deleting all images and now have a quality reader. I have never had any problems since, but have no idea which "solution" was the real solution, if it was either.
12-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm pretty good about formatting cards between shoots. So, I'm guessing it's the built-in card reader. Something else to add to the Christmas list!
12-13-2010, 03:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blockamon Quote
Has anyone else had problems with corrupted DNG files from the K-5 when processing in Lightroom. I've had anywhere from 1 to 4 in pretty much every shoot. This has happened with two different cards (both brand new) and three different shoots. Happended with both Lightroom 3 and 3.3.

The camera can see the file fine, but when imported to Lightroom the bottom half of the image is white with horizontal colored strips.

Any ideas? Problem with the card, software, card reader...?
I'm getting this exact same problem, with my 6 week old iMac's built-in card reader. Approximately 5-10% of shots are affected. I'm not sure what to make of it yet, if I re-insert the card and try again I can successfully import the images without corruption. I have a couple of card readers somewhere, will try and rule out the built-in reader.
12-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #12

Had exactly the same problem in windows PC. After weeks trying to determine the problem, it came down to my memory sticks. One stick was bad. Replaced both memory modules and no more problems.

There are free programs available on the internet to check you memory module. Go to Memtest86.com. Memtest86 is a thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 architecture computers. BIOS based memory tests are a quick, cursory check and often miss many of the failures that are detected by Memtest86.

By the way, this problem in documented on the Adobe Lightroom forums.

Hopes this helps

David
12-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
What is odd to me is that I have tried deleting the file from Lightroom and re-importing from the card. Same result.
12-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I had a few bumps early then settled on Sandisk cards and Sandisk MicroMate readers. May be just dumb luck, but no problems since.

And I got all from well-respected dealers rather than the Bay or the Amazon or Buy Marketplaces. There are some folks in those marketplaces who need a lot of ethical supervision and happily take advantage of the Amazon or Buy.com name.
09-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #15

I am having issues too. After they load bad, I delete them, and I can reload from my camera and they are fine, once they are ruined on the harddrive they are toast. But when I edit in Lightroom, and all looks good, then i go to open in elements bad things happen then too.