12-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about if the cat is moving?

12-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it's Schrodinger's cat, we'll just never be certain.

Jer
12-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
How about if the cat is moving?
drug it.
12-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Really? At what distance?

Even without a contrast grid pattern that most flashes use for af-assist (which would be so awesome if this was put into bodies given how effective and unobtrusive it is)?

12-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
If it's Schrodinger's cat, we'll just never be certain.

Jer
Thanks, Jer. Best chuckle of the day

In answer to the original question, yes. But if the very dim light is on the red/yellow end of the spectrum, it will focus but may well do so incorrectly. Reportedly (by the same Spanish source) to be fixed in next SW release.

In the meantime, I'm boarding my dog until we get this straightened out. I'd rather keep the lights on but the neighbors would rather that the dog goes .....
12-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Yes, with the AF-assist light, the K-5 can focus on a black cat (or in my case a black dog) in complete darkness. Your success will, in part, depend on how close you are to the subject.
Unless you're shooting at F22 in total darkness, how the heck can AF properly lock in focus when you don't know what it's actually locking in on for proper focus?

My answer:

If you can't visually confirm the focus with your own eyes in the viewfinder, you can't expect AF to do any better.
12-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Unless you're shooting at F22 in total darkness, how the heck can AF properly lock in focus when you don't know what it's actually locking in on for proper focus?

My answer:

If you can't visually confirm the focus with your own eyes in the viewfinder, you can't expect AF to do any better.
I don't know the answer as to why, buy my AF locks in light far below what I could possibly confirm through the viewfinder. Probably the best lens for the job is the DA40, which can autofocus in just about any light.

12-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

My answer:

Except for long exposures and flashes (particularly off camera flashes). Oh and I hear the K-5 is a bit of a freak when it comes to pulling detail out of shadows.