Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Hi Neil.
I was not getting the option of P-TTL when pushing the mode button but I took kittykats suggestion and changed batteries and also played with the m/c/s button and everything works now! I don't know what did it but thanks everyone.
Good to see James... sometimes the 540 has a mind of its own.

let us know how you go with the K-5... I have been getting a few over exposed images in P-TTL mode when bouncing as there seems to be a known issue. Once in a while also I get over exposed images in straight flash shooting so I now set compensation and dont seem to have as much of a problem.

Dont know why they could not match the K-7 and Pentax flash system with the K-5. When the K-7 came out I thought all my flash problems had gone... which they had but the gremlims have returned with the K-5

cheers

Neil

12-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Jeff - my 540 sits solidly on the hot shoe of my K10 (I just tried it) without even moving the locking lever. No wobble to speak of at all. I even had difficulty lining it up to get it in the shoe, the clearance is so little, and I'm out of practice mounting flashes on hot shoes. Once it was in it was firm as could be. I didn't turn the locking lever because I don't feel like performing surgery on my expensive equipment to get the flash off if the pin does get stuck. When I turn the locking lever off camera, the lever comes right down to the foot of the flash with no clearance at all. I cannot remove it from the flash foot stand if I turn the lever to the locking position. I can only speak to my AF540FGZ and K10d, of course, but it's solid as a rock.
I should clarify wobble, it isn't much, but it does move and sliding the flash on the shoe is a tight fit. Perhaps I need to make sure everything on the flash it tight. I do see that the lock goes all the way down to the top of the shoe mount when the flash is removed from the camera and I know that the locking pin is spring loaded (so nothing could possibly restricting the travel of the pin).

12-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The only things I can think of is either the Flash isn't making full contact with the camera or the lens isn't. The only time I'm ever unable to select P-TTL (or the flash doesn't default to it) is when I'm using a manual lens such as the M50 f1:1.4. I'm assuming you checked all that though. The exact same combo is working fine here.

That's why I asked which lens.

Yes, I've had contact problems with my 3 new Pentax camera's as well.
With my Metz the effect is that the flash stays in TTL mode and does not switch to P-TTL when mounted.
Scratching the contacts on the socket with a pocket knife normally does the trick.

- Bert