Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Only you can decide what value you place on the better features of the K5. It definitely is a step up, but someone who only shoots iso 100-400 may not see it as a significant step up for the price. The K7 is still an excellent camera and very capable, if you just learn to avoid its weaknesses.

12-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

interestingly enough, i do shoot mostly bellow 400iso with the k20d (mostly landscape, mostly tripod), but the k-5 simply won me over. the two main features i think are: dinamic range (for somebody who's used to shooting negative film, this is "back home" basically), and the ability to disable dark frame substraction (which is actually bad: i should have that on k-7 and k20d as well, in a new firmware ); the small size is just nice, and everything else is "gravy". otherwise, i still love the k20d, i think i can shoot it for a few years at least without feeling "the need to apologize" for the quality of my pictures (a few years is pessimistic, i am thinking more like "till shutter breaks")
12-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Snydly, the K-7 is and will always be a gem. So too the *ist D. But let's face it, since the K-7 came out there was talk of how much people wanted a sensor upgrade from that of the K20D. Then when the K-x came out there were lots of wishes of 'K-x sensor in a K-7'. Here now we have even more in the K-5 so what many were waiting for for some years is finally here. So no doubt users will be happy to applaud the K-5 more over the K-7. This is understandable, but the K-7 will remain an excellent camera.
Agreed, and I understand, but I was just surprised to hear some people here turn on the k7 from one day to the next. Unless I need to sell my k7 I never will.

I've also read a lot about the k10 here. I'm interested in what makes some owners really like this camera. I believe the sensor is a CCD type and I'd like to have one to compare. I know I could probably look back over the archives here and see the merits of either discussed, which I'll do when I have some time. I'm one that likes to master a camera and find it's sweet spot, regardless of it's limits, like a 10mp sensor. I still use my Sony F828 at times due to the 4 color sensor, especially when shooting scenes which make use of the fourth color.

Snydly
12-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I still quite like my K7, but I feel like the K5 has enough major improvements to warrant purchasing it as well. It dropped below my target price of $1400 today at Amazon, but since I have no pressing reason to buy now, I think I'd rather wait for the sensor thing to be resolved (it may be already, but I'd prefer some evidence). Anyway, I intend to hang on to my K7 as a second body for a while, probably until the K5 drops a whole lot more, at which point I'll replace it with a second K5.

12-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
Hooverfocus,

I wasn't going to say this, but since you started it I will chime in. I love my k7. Until about three month's ago most everyone here on the forums loved the k7 too. Now, according to some people here and on the DP forum, sensor test sites and camera review sites I own a piece of, uh, substandard photography equipment. I researched for months before buying my k7 and I think it’s better than any Canon or Nikon APSC equipment, which makes it all the more difficult reading the recent opinions about its shortcomings.

I am glad everyone loves the k5. I would like to have one too. I know it is better than the k7 but it just seems odd that people would attack the k7 when like I said, three months ago it was a gem. It's still a gem to me. I know this is the natural progression of digital photography, and in about a year when the k-3 comes out many will think of the k-5 what they think of the k7 now.

Getting a k5 just for the high ISO is only one of MANY reasons to buy a k-5. My wife has a k-x and we use that at times when at our kids sporting events. On the other hand, I grew up shooting ASA 25 to ASA 200 (used ASA 400 only a couple times) so I know how to make the best of anything under ISO 1250 (my normal limit for the k7). It’s a bit more challenging but that’s one of the things I like about photography. I still have the Canon A1 I bought in 1980, and am finally able to afford some great lenses I wish I could've bought when they were new.

If I had the money I would definitely buy a k-5, but for me the k7 will have to do for a while, and I'm not the least bit upset about that.

Snydly

I don't think anyone is bashing the K7. Its as good a camera wrt the competition of the same lineage. For what it can do (esp. at ISO below 800), its not a bad camera either. Detail retention at high ISO vs cameras of the same lineage, I'd still prefer the K7.
The thing though is that K5 is indeed a significant leap. Not just in sensor performance, but in other features as well (as mentioned, features that do help in photography and not some mumbo jumbo "buzzword" marketing gimmick)

The features and improvement may not mean anything for someone who does not use them (eg. Someone who only shoots non moving outdoors at ISO100 on a tripod ). But as a general photographer, I've found the improvements to be very helpful indeed.

Very improved in-camera HDR

Typically a scene like this would require a choice between exposing for lights or less lit areas. The in-camera HDR that is very improved (less chance of haloing) allows for a larger margin of error as well as recording more.

High ISO capability for a better range Auto-ISO without worries
Outdoors

Shaded

During a recent photo outing, the camera was set to ISO-Auto up to 3200. There was no worry of poor quality results or leaving ISO at too low settings when moving from outdoor to indoor/shaded areas.

Better and faster AF

A recent shoot for my local child care center. Few hundred little ones with no patience to hold still, lots of photos to cover and not too well lit rooms. But the K5 made it a breeze.
12-22-2010, 04:45 AM   #21

Original Poster
I've taken in consideration all your replies, and for my use the K-5 would indeed suit me better. On the other hand I had sorta gotten my mind over it, not really being able to justify a new camera in such a short time (bought the K-7 in February). But then a few days ago my father told me he was looking at DSLRs, and at this point I reconsidered the whole thing once again. I might be able to give him the K-7 and get a K-5 for myself. This way it would be staying in the family, should I ever need a second body (well, third if we count the *istD). We'll see if Christmas brings any surprises...

On a side note, I've had the chance to shoot an event last week, and I could finally put the K-7 to test in somewhat difficult light. It is a lot less forgiving than the *istD, when exposure is not spot on. I found ISO 800 to be very usable, ISO 1000 less so, but in this case the previous sentence applies as light was also virtually non-exhistant (so a very very difficult situation). I didn't go beyond 1000 for noise issues, though I reckon I should have shot a few for the sake of testing.

I guess with the K-5 I would have had less of a problem, on the other hand for concerts, which is what I usually do, the K-7 should still be fine as there's usually more light than what was available at that event.
12-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #22

Original Poster
Good news (hopefully), I ordered a K-5 body today, passing the K-7 along to my father. Hopefully it'll be here before the cashback promotion expires. I'll keep you posted!
At any rate, thanks for all of you who contributed to the discussion and helped me along the way