TAv is terrific !
High Iso is super !

12-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
TAv TAv TAv baby!!!

Set my speed and aperture, iso 80-12000 and let her rip!

Good dynamic range + high ISO performance really makes TAv into an amazing setting.

Pat
So true!!

I started to post a few more lines only to realize that I was repeating your own words!
Anyway ... TAv should be one of the "better" modes with the K5 from now on.

JP
12-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not really--at least not in the short run. The difference will be in the results I get. For example, I've been using TAv for quite a while for sports and wildlife but really good results were few and far between. Things are very different with the K-5 though--my basketball photos are getting great reviews.

In the long run, I'm sure the K-5 will open up some interesting new possibilities for me. Right now, I can't even spell DR
12-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #19
wll
Veteran Member

Not to Kick a Dead Horse, But Why Not ;- )

I have started using TAv on my K20D and love it.

Set it between 800 and 6400 in low light candle situations and let Topaz Denoise 5 do the rest.

The new DeNoise software (by anyone these days) is off the charts. That along with the new generation of cameras (which I will eventually get), changes the way we shoot.

This is a pretty exciting time for Digital, and it has grown up fast !

We have the fierce competition between manufactures to thank and Sony for producing a sensor that is off the charts. I'm sure the major sensor wars are about to take place between Sony, Samsung, Kodak, and Fuji. We will see what happens :- )

wll

12-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Changed when I shoot

My subject matter hasn't changed. However, there were plenty of times when I knew the light wasn't there to get the image I could see so I wouldn't bring the K20 to my eye. I'm just taking the shot now.
12-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I have started using TAv on my K20D and love it.

Set it between 800 and 6400 in low light candle situations and let Topaz Denoise 5 do the rest.

The new DeNoise software (by anyone these days) is off the charts. That along with the new generation of cameras (which I will eventually get), changes the way we shoot.

This is a pretty exciting time for Digital, and it has grown up fast !

We have the fierce competition between manufactures to thank and Sony for producing a sensor that is off the charts. I'm sure the major sensor wars are about to take place between Sony, Samsung, Kodak, and Fuji. We will see what happens :- )

wll
Thank you for everybody's input, we are all feeling the same excitement over the prospects.

I quoted wll because he's in the exact same place i am - don't have k5 yet but anticipating how we will use it.

I do mainly 2 kinds of photography, handheld for a theatre and tripod landscape work for an occasional sale or competition. For the theatre work, I'd shoot TAV with up to 6400 at times, heavy treatment from Topaz. In the future, TAV with only a touch of LR3. For my tripod work, often took 3 and 5 image hdr's. In the future, 3 image tripod and am looking forward to trying 3 image handheld. Perhaps even going to 2 image.

that 14 ev dynamic range sounds great at 80 iso, but the curve drifts down when one starts making use of that high Iso. which makes me think that blended images will still have a place.

an AWESOME camera with lots of credit due to Sony and Pentax. did i say that i really am looking forward to a quiet shutter.

Nikon appears to me to have a really interesting situation. I can see them having the 7000, then an exemore sensor with more the Pentax features in the D300 series, then what do they do in the FF area if they don't have an updated exemore style sensor? I think the FF sales will drop off some until they comes up with better sensors or drop prices.

as wll said: exciting times for digital.
12-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Any time something new comes down the pike that opens up possibilities for shooting something new, it's exciting. For me, the high ISO is a huge improvement. I've never used a Kx, so this is the first time I've used a camera that has excellent high ISO capabilities.
It's opened up a whole new world of fun for me.