Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Have been using generic batteries from ebay -china for years in my pentax and other cameras with no problems but I do have a problem paying pentax Australia $140.00 for 1 battery. I just bought a battery grip and battery from china $61.30 delivered both work just fine. The grip claims to be dust and water resistant.

Last edited by Osama Binhidin; 01-07-2011 at 08:25 PM.
01-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
No idea, but I don't trust generic batteries, and generic lithium even less. Sorry for being unhelpful but I think it's a dumb idea to risk a 1.5k camera with a cheap batt. I can cheap out on many things but never on batteries which can go wrong in so many ways.
I trust them. I have two Pentax batteries and a few generic batteries for my K10D and K20D. Had no problems whatsoever with any of them.

I've just ordered a K-5 and ordered 2 generic batteries too.

As mike-P said above, in the UK a Pentax battery is 7 times the price of a generic one.

If Pentax started selling batteries in the UK at a non rip-off price then I will buy them
01-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Itse en käytä mitään tuntematonta romua misään omissa laitteissa. Hyöty on minimaalinen häviö voi olla arvaamaton. Käytän aitoja alkuperäisiä Pentax tuotteita minun K-5, haluan tukea Pentaksin kehittymistä aina paremmaksi ja paremaksai.
01-08-2011, 05:28 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The biggest thing that I have seen with non branded batteries is that they lose their charge amazingly fast in temperatures below freezing. I was shooting recently -10F (-23 C) and the branded Pentax battery was good for about an hour, shooting stills and video. On the other hand, the generic batteries from Digital Extreme lasted about 10 shots and then gave up the ghost. I hadn't really noticed much difference when shooting at room temperature or above as far as battery life, however, the difference was really huge in this situation.

01-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #20

K5 Battery replacement

ADDLI90 Replacement Battery for Pentax Type DL-i90 Camera 7.4v,1550mAh

!$15.00

I'm going to call Pentax today and see what they have to say about 7.4 volts over the 7.2 that comes with the camera. Will update here today sometime. The would not pick up the phone, funny!!!!

Last edited by Rick Clark; 01-08-2011 at 02:20 PM.
02-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Sorry for resurrecting the thread guys, but I'm facing the same dilemma.... Canadian retailers are charging 90-100$+TX for the Pentax-branded battery... that's 10 times the price of the same battery sold on ebay with no name on it... beyond ridiculous...

Imho there's a mentality problem... for as long as there will be people ready to pay for the brand name - they will get owned doggy style... shamelessly...

Last edited by alexeyga; 02-18-2011 at 07:53 AM.
02-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I have had no problems with the CTA batteries sold by Cameta Camera (an Amazon affiliate).

I had a pack of two CTA branded batteries along with a nice travel charger that worked great in my K20D for years.

I now have a similar kit from Camera that has Power2000 branded batteries (They are still listed as CTA on Amazon, but apparently Cameta had issues with recent CTA branded batteries and switched brands.) I don't have the specs with me right now, but it has been working well for me so far. I can't remember if I have the factory battery in the grip or internally - I'm running one factory and one third-party, with a spare battery in my bag. With my K20D the spare never got used and in fact I charged the in-body batt maybe once a year, with the K-5, video might possibly drive me into the in-body batt and even the spare.

02-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not all generic batteries are the same.
I have had Hähnel batteries in my K 10, K 7, and K 5. They are not by any means inferior to the original Pentax ones.
02-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Sorry for resurrecting the thread guys, but I'm facing the same dilemma.... Canadian retailers are charging 90-100$+TX for the Pentax-branded battery... that's 10 times the price of the same battery sold on ebay with no name on it... beyond ridiculous...

Imho there's a mentality problem... for as long as there will be people ready to pay for the brand name - they will get owned doggy style... shamelessly...
I just purchased a battery pack for my k20d at eBay Canada Seller: neewer: Digital Camera Accessories, nikon lens on eBay.ca at low prices it is located in Ontario and there is a 1 year warranty on them. So far everything is good and the battery is working great and there was free shipping as well.
02-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Well I've had my K-5 over a month now and have been using my single pentax battery that came with the camera and the 2 generic spares in rotation and I've noticed no differences between any of them.

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote

I agree. People scaremonger themselves too much IMO. millions of batteries out there I've never heard of one case of a battery frying a pentax camera.

Planes crash now and again. people still fly.
02-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Never heard of any generic battery fried a camera before...

Generic batteries are just fine, I've been using generic batteries in my K7/K5, no problem so far, and the one I'm using actually lasts longer than the Pentax one.
02-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The quoted shutter life expectancy of the K5 is 100,000 actuations. Even at $140 a battery x3 ($420) the per shutter actuation cost would be $.0042 per actuation over the life expectancy of the camera. At that cost, I'll stick with the Pentax battery.
02-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #28
Forum Member

Been using generic batteries for years they are no different, also battery grip
02-19-2011, 02:29 AM   #29
Inactive Account

K-5 ei kannata olla videokuvauksessa kun pentax omia akkuja. Koska akut kuumenee pitkissä videopätkissä ja voi vaikka räjähtää.
02-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #30
Forum Member

Something lost in translation there!