Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #1

New (k-5) Member

I'm a professional living in Nashville where I have done CD covers for over 25 years. The last five I've switched to commissioned dog portraits. If interested have a look:

Peter Nash - Nashville Pet Photographer

There is a link which will take you to my humans if interested. If my web site doesn't appear just google Peter Nash.

I have been a Canon user since going digital. My 5d is up for sale since discovering
the K-5 at PhotoPlus, NYC. Mob scene. Canon and Nikon had major displays, talking heads, carpets, showcases, live demo's, giveaways, and lines of people waiting to touch product. And there was Pentax, a simple 15' display case with two guys. I wanted a look at the $10 grand mega-pix beast and then moved on after a quick look at the K-5 under glass. I knew nothing about it and assumed Pentax hadn't a pro camera since it quit the 6x7 and 645. I used both for years.
I fiddled with the Nikon d7000 and was intrigued by it's natural light ability.I needed a camera that works well in low light. Not to knock Canon or Nikon, as both have finally met head-on and it's a user preference game. Problem for me is both are trying so hard to include every possible hoo-hoo bell ringing option for every situation up to and including HD movies. Two weeks ago I read a review at DXO regarding the K-5 sensor and then found this forum and read more reviews and was intrigued. I ordered the K-5 and borrowed the D7000 from the Nikon guy. No contest. I kept the Pentax. Intuitive. Easy to use. Clear displays. Personally it feels better than any camera I have ever owned up to and including my Leica's living in the closet. You guys had me pre-sold and I thank you all for the clear reviews and insights. The camera is a gem. I bought it with the kit lens (it's OK) along with the 40 and 70. No more zooms for me. The K-5 is remarkable in high IS0s to 1600 which is all I need for portraits.

If you look at my dogs you will see the majority are lit with strobes. (Lighting has always been my strength, otherwise I am not very technical as noted by last nights post trying to find my firmware and wondering what the SR insignia meant.) The window for shooting dogs is about 20 minutes, no different than shooting a two yr old child. You need to get to it quickly.
Enclosed two pics. My dog was photographed with the kit lens and neighbor with the 40. He was lit with a 60 watt lamb in his darkened living room. Mr. Ed is a Nashville radio-voice icon and still at it on his 100th birthday.
I am not keeping the 40. You guys kept marveling over the 43 1.8 and that is arriving today. Thanks again for all the great reviews. I am so loving the camera. Peter Nash/Nashville

Attached Images

Last edited by phototoo; 12-17-2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: sp
12-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Pentax club, Peter! So many things you mentioned hits home with me - I chose Pentax for the exact same reason - although funny that back then everyone was bashing K10D for "soft JPGs," and having no experience with digital SLRs, it was quite a gamble. I liked Pentax for simplicity and no-fluff/gimmick approach, and focusing more on a great tool. Hope you enjoy your K-5 for a long time, I know I will once I get it next week!
12-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! Looks like an interesting niche that you have, probably plenty of horror stories to go with the photography.

If you are into small primes, I think you will be well pleased with Pentax.
12-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard

great dog photos.

As mentioned the Pentax primes are wonderful... you will enjoy the FA 43 believe me.
When I first got it I was disappointed... then it grew on me and I now use it more than any of my primes.... at F3.2 it's been recorded to be at its peak.

cheers

Neil

12-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #5

Great pictures. Really good to see new members!
12-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful dog and people pics! So your pet portraits are usually shot w/ short focal lengths? You must have a good way with animals to keep them from not getting startled by the flashes and the shutter clicks! Thanks for sharing your experience!
12-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

welcome, glad the k-5 works for you. nice portfolio. don't forget to get the grip as well (essential for your kind of work, i would think? i personally love it on my k20d, hope to get one soon for my k-5).

i have one very specific question for you, sort of offtopic: do you see any issue, in your experience, using strobes with dogs? does it bother them in any way, anything to be aware of?

12-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you here Peter, and to have another pro join the discussions on the forum.
Your personal reflections on the K-5 are great too.
Look forward to your posts here.
12-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #9

Hello Phototoo,

I haven't been here that long, but I think I've been here long enough to say hello and welcome. This is a great place. I've received more good advice and assistance here than anywhere else. Someone here is always available to lend a hand.

Don't miss out on one of the truly unique benefits of being a Pentax SLR/DSLR user. Go to the marketplace here or Ebay (or others if someone here knows) and find an old piece of Pentax glass (and the appropriate adapter). No auto focus or even auto metering on most, but if you've been a photographer for as long as it sounds you will probably appreciate exposing probably the best APS-C camera available through a 30-50 year old lens. More work than pointing and pressing a button, but imo a lot more fun. The other brands have their high points too, but this will never be one of them.

I don't have the k-5, I have last years k7 and k-x, which are also great cameras.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say we hope to see some of your experiences and photo's posted here.

Snydly
12-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #10

Original Poster
Strobes have never seemed to disturb dogs. I keep them quite focused and it's never been a problem. Fact is they get mesmerized by the flash. I insist on eye contact and no tongues. Lots of the session I've done were in natural light simply because it looked right and I was too lazy to set up lights. The Canon 5d never performed well above ISO 400. Lots of noise. The K-5 is perfect. If I had a quibble it would be with the wide format sensor dimensions. The best sized portrait sensor is on the olympus system. It crops to a perfect portrait shape, actual 11-16 or 16x20. I shoot everything full frame but still find myself lopping off the extra width. No, I don't want to lug around the Olympus. I love the K-5.

Last edited by phototoo; 12-17-2010 at 09:42 PM.
12-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pup series... love the black Pug(?) tongue and all...

Hmmmm... no Vizsla?

You've made a good decision. I'll be very surprised if you don't find the K-5 paired to the DA 70 and FA 43 perfect for your subjects. Don't dismiss the 40 too quickly. Give yourself some time with it. Took me a while to warm up to it, then it kinda grew on me. I own both lenses. The DA's unique 'quick shift' focus feature (which the FA lacks) tags that series as keepers for me. Very handy...

Cheers and enjoy the season... M
12-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #12

Original Poster
i'm sorry the 'quick shift' focus not on the 43 lens. I really like the feature. It could be a deal breaker. I'll hold both lenses this week and see. Vizsla. None yet. No bulldog either.
12-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phototoo Quote
i'm sorry the 'quick shift' focus not on the 43 lens.... could be a deal breaker. I'll hold both lenses this week and see. Vizsla. None yet. No bulldog either.
With the 43, just turn off AF and use Manual Focus... I suspect you do that with any camera you use, anyway... Also, if you wish to use AF and get the most out of your lenses, make sure to use the camera body's focus adjust feature. Fine tuning things is no big deal and easy. Once everything is optimized, you are good to go... As with the 40, I love the 43, too BTW.

As to V's as a subject... they have a delightful personality and are quite photogenic. V's are somewhat rare as a breed, so when you get a chance at one, jump on it. You should find the experience enjoyable.

Cheers... M
12-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #14

Original Poster
whippets in snow

Hey and thanks all for your warm welcome. I have a question or two and not sure how to post as I am new to forums. I put up this "new member" post with a few pic's.
If I want to post more pictures do I add to current thread or start another? Or post as new?
Also I have questions about Pentax the company. Is that another thread?
I'm so old school.
Pooches in snow. K-5 with 70mm 2.4
Attached Images