Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Sean Reid testing K5 and pancake lenses

I just got an email from Reid Reviews that Sean is testing the K5 with pancake lenses. For those of you who've not read his reviews on the pay website or on Luminous Landscape, they're very thorough and well thought out. I'll post again when his reviews are up on his site. Chris

12-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisAZ Quote
I just got an email from Reid Reviews that Sean is testing the K5 with pancake lenses. For those of you who've not read his reviews on the pay website or on Luminous Landscape, they're very thorough and well thought out. I'll post again when his reviews are up on his site. Chris
Cool. He's one of the reviewers who liked the DA21 in the past, right?
12-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Cool. He's one of the reviewers who liked the DA21 in the past, right?
Yes he seemed to, but complained about the AF. I've just got one with my K-5 and shot extensively in near dark conditions tonight and had no hunting and very fast response. He should have no complaints about AF this tme! Chris
01-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

K-5 Reid review now complete today

I haven't subscribed in some time. A review of the review by anyone?

01-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The review is done. He gives it good marks. Especially praises it for being a professional photographer's camera due to the well thought out controls and ergonomics.

He really liked it for shooting things like plays and recitals, though noted it's high ISO as not quite in the same league as full frame cameras. He noted a tendancy to overexpose the red channel.

It focused well enough for him, but did say in low light his Canon 5dII does better as far as not hunting so much. He didn't get into the sensor issues, or tungsten focus issues that are bandied about on the forums.
01-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I haven't subscribed in some time. A review of the review by anyone?
The review is still in progress and what has been published so far is mainly relevant to ergonomics and operational characteristics.
In my view it can be biefly summarized as follows:
The reviewer's opinion is very positive in almost every aspect: compactness, dust and water sealing, quietenes of the shutter, viewfinder size and luminosity, size of the raw buffer, availability of compact prime lenses..
The Af accuracy only seems not to be completely satisfactory in comparison with high end other DSRL's.
Photographic performances (ISO, DR etc )have been not yet analized and will be covered in the near future as well as the performances of the lenses he has received for testing.
Sean is a professional photographer which normally uses Leica M and high end Canon DSRL's.
Cheers,
Ario