Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just Posted: Pentax K-5 in-depth review

Hope it is not a repost.

Don't know why I cannot post the URL. the review is in dpreview dot com

12-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
<yawn> Gold Award. What did I expect: they have always been biased toward Pentax, right?

Yippeeeeeee! WTFG Pentax!
12-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

on first glance it looks pretty favorable, this will surely help sell many cameras
12-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I have true "metrics" most people need make a decision, I will recommend this to my friends and colleagues without any subjectivity. Despite photography being 99% art, and maybe 1% tools, people still tend to get hung up in numbers. Perhaps it is time for us Pentaxians to play that game!

12-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well I am genuinely surprised!
I wonder if it was all the Pentax noise that put the extra pressure on ol' DPewReview

Anyways, I was genuinely surprised with the results of the head to head ISO testing against the D7000(K5 more detail). Well it looks that way in the working samples I saw at least. Either way, I think this will do good for the Pentax sales margin this year.
12-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'm genuinely surprised!
I wonder if all the Pentax noise has put the pressure on ol' DPewReview
Maybe DPR was worried their reputation would be "stained" if they didn't wholeheartedly recommend K-5
12-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

They do seem to be going out more to justify on the K5 in the conclusion with comments like its a joy to use; that prices will be expected to drop; advantages of old lens compatibility; small unique pentax primes.

Anyway; a well deserved award.
Hopefully Pentax gets an extra monetary boost that will mean them being around to give us that K1

12-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Surprising that they liked it this much. Of course, according to them, they loved the K7, just hated its sensor (a lot of others agree with that).

Found this comment a little odd from them: "Please note: the noise graphs on this page show indicated ISO, not measured. We are working on an updated widget which will display measured ISO, but in the meantime, please bear in mind that the Nikon D7000's measured ISO is 1/3EV higher than indicated (so ISO 100 is actually ISO 125) and the Pentax K-5's measured ISO is 1/3EV lower than indicated (so ISO 100 is actually ISO 80). As already mentioned, this has little bearing on normal photography with either camera but it does make a difference to how you should interpret these graphs. "

According to Dxo Mark, Pentax K5's measured iso is higher at every iso point than the D7000's. They are not significantly different, for instance at iso 1600, Dxo measures the K5 at 1417 and the D7000 at 1269. Very different from what the D P Review comment says.
12-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #9

funny that the build quality of the K7 is better than the K5 ;-)

and funny: not so good for "shooters who need the quickest possible access to movie mode."

-- seems like they were really looking for some negative stuff.

However, good to see that the results are fair, imho!
12-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i was expecting 81, but WOW. pentax is really impressing everyone!
12-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

An interesting read, but most of it was familiar to me (and makes my wallet ache). That said, it is great that the K-5 is being recognized for what it is and how it fares against its current competition (some quite recently released). For good or ill, Pentax lenses will now get more expensive... sigh.

On a related note, a good friend (a pro landscape photographer) who has clung to film for his artwork (35mm Leica, and medium-format Hasselblad and Mamiya) got tired of processing and scanning, and a little sheepishly asked me "okay, okay... what digital SLR should I look at?"

If it was this time last year, I'd say "Nkon," and the year before "Cnon," but this year I said "Pntx?"

He researched, he looked, he talked to others, and finally held a K-5. Pretty soon he'll have more Pentax limiteds than I do, and I'm okay with that.
12-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #12

The praise on AF performance put many people's minds at ease. I am not sure why the build quality is considered not as good as the 7D or 300s though. I do not have any of those cameras, but the exceptional WR capability should give the K5 extra bonus on it buld quality.
12-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

For those of us that are Gold Members ourselves, having been booted from DPR, it has been a long time since I had anything good to say about them....but I will give them an A+ for being honest on the K5.....from all reports here at ground zero, where the truth is in the results, the K5 is a huge Winner. We should all be very proud...and I know we are!
Best Regards!
12-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
Forum Member

One has to wonder or at least I wonder what the score would have been if....

if the AF on the K5 tested as fast as the Nikon

if the K5 had movie button

if the K5 would auto focus in movie mode

if the K5 had tethering

if the K5 had been tested with updated firmware

if the larger buffer with updated firmware

........just wondering........do they have a "Diamond" rating?...LOL!

I did read the review and thought it was fair considering the past Pentax reviews......
12-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

anyway; a well deserved award.
Hopefully pentax gets an extra monetary boost that will mean them being around to give us that k1 :d
+1