Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
That`s very nice Dgaies.... The clocks on the second picture do indicate the time 12 hours later than in the first pic.
If this is not what you want to show then it can only be that your camera is the only one that does not show the frontfocus issue under Artificial light. Congratulations !
I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of 12 hours later. I took them 5 minutes apart - one in my bathroom with the doors close (1st one), the other in my office next to the window.

EDIT: I noticed I had the date set wrong on the camera. Obviously I didn't take these pictures in July, before the K-5 was released. I must not have set the date when I switched to my replacement K-5 body.

Last edited by dgaies; 12-23-2010 at 02:03 PM.
12-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #167

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Furthermore, your logic is flawed in the statement that you don't understand why people "try to defend a serious fault in the K5 rather than smashing the problem in PENTAX face". The flaw is that you presume there is a serious flaw
Ha ha hahahahhaaa...... No it is not a serious flaw ... ha ha h aaaha.... Please leave me alone for a moment ... ha ha Ha hahhhaa.... Shit ... nothing to laugh about actually .
12-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #168
Veteran Member

If this is not what you want to show then it can only be that your camera is the only one that does not show the frontfocus issue under Artificial light. Congratulations !
Well, if my K-5 is the "only one" that doesn't show FF issues, then it's a shame, because it's going to be exchanged after Xmas because it has stains on the sensor
12-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #169
Pentaxian

I advise you not to shoot any Christmas dinner with your K5 as it will be quit a dissapointment for many shots.
Now you tell me. I just came back from one. Although I already knew that my k-5 cannot focus with my sigma 17-70 in dim light I did try a couple of shoots but failed miserably, they where not even close to being in focus. Admittedly it was pretty dark, mainly candles and some background lights.

So I resorted to contrast-focus for a few snapshots and the results where yaw-dropping (well they where for me, used to a k10d) so at least that was fun. Now If I could only focus without looking like a moron switching back and forth between live view and the view finder.

12-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #170

Original Poster
Dgaies you can`t have it all ! A pitty though.

Gimbal , contrast focus is great if only it would be faster. But for occasions that you don`t need speed of focus the solution is saving your shots. I look very much forward to the FUJI X100 that will have contrast detection . It is supposed to be nearly as fast as Phase detect on a Dslr. Can`t wait to check that.
12-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Perhaps because some of us see "smashing the problem in PENTAX face" as a rather childish over reaction.
you think that -8 at daylight and +5 during the night is overreaction? For me its just useless piece of junk - i can count out billions of situation where this "issue" make the photographer helpless and his work futile...
12-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
you think that -8 at daylight and +5 during the night is overreaction? For me its just useless piece of junk - i can count out billions of situation where this "issue" make the photographer helpless and his work futile...
I don't think anyone is arguing that using a body/lens combo that needs -8/+5 would be a real pain in the ass and a problem that Pentax should address as soon as possible.

12-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #173

@dgaies !!
Wait! Would you mind to swap K5 bodies with me? I am pretty sure mine does NOT have stains on the sensor. Just some ... well ... small FF issue that might be just something else, nothing a good photographer could not deal with! What do you say?
12-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by znieh Quote
@dgaies !!
Wait! Would you mind to swap K5 bodies with me? I am pretty sure mine does NOT have stains on the sensor. Just some ... well ... small FF issue that might be just something else, nothing a good photographer could not deal with! What do you say?
Well, unfortunately I'm not a very good photographer, so I doubt I could over come the FF issues you have on your body.

You should have let me know a couple days ago. I just sent back my original K-5, which also didn't have any FF issues, just a small stain on the sensor that could only be seen from f/11 smaller. Amazon just received it back in their warehouse, maybe they'd be willing to sell it to you at a discount
12-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is your problem PCARFAN ? You can see very well it is a box you focussed on isn`t it ? The sharp Porsche emblem and front lights are a bonus I would say !
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
LMAO

thats a good post mate..love the German car...

But, them Germans do make great cars...
12-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #176

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
just a small stain on the sensor that could only be seen from f/11 smaller.
not a good year for Pentax and the Japanese. Stains on sensors, FF, not functioning front/back wheels, flash issues, hot pixels, ... But I do think positive: I'm glad the K5 has no foot throttle ;-)
12-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #177

Original Poster
And a GOLD AWARD on dpreview !!!
12-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #178

But did you notice? The paragraph about AF was suspiciously short...
12-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by znieh Quote
not a good year for Pentax and the Japanese. Stains on sensors, FF, not functioning front/back wheels, flash issues, hot pixels,
On the contrary, I'd say it's a pretty great year. The K-5 is awesome. No new tech is without issues, and the issues get incredibly amplified on internet forums. If the bulk of their sales came from here, dpreview, etc., then yes, I'd say not a good year. But that isn't the case.

At any rate, I've just gone and retested my K-5 for FF, since it was beginning to sound like a firmware issue, thus making it kind of unlikely that mine was error-free. I used lower light this time, and a different tungsten source, and the FF definitely showed up. So my earlier post, with the perfectly-focused image, must have been more light, or different light. I'll be eager to hear of a firmware update, just like most of the rest of you.

In the mean time, I'm going to keep shooting, and be aware of when the problem might crop up. For me, luckily, AF is nice but not essential. And it will still work in 95% of the situations in which I shoot.
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #180
Fer
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Now you tell me. I just came back from one. Although I already knew that my k-5 cannot focus with my sigma 17-70 in dim light I did try a couple of shoots but failed miserably, they where not even close to being in focus. Admittedly it was pretty dark, mainly candles and some background lights.

So I resorted to contrast-focus for a few snapshots and the results where yaw-dropping (well they where for me, used to a k10d) so at least that was fun. Now If I could only focus without looking like a moron switching back and forth between live view and the view finder.
Reports like this are starting to trickle in. I wonder how much longer it will be before all those who have not noticed this issue have their epiphany... Since we're in Christmas, maybe they're waiting till January 6th

Sorry, I could not resist the bad joke... Jan 6 is an important religious holiday here in Spain. Seriously, though, other than this big AF issue, I love my K5, and nothing would p*ss me off more than having to return it because Pentax fails to fix it soon.

So Pentax, remain silent if you wish, but bring on the darned firmware already!
Closed Thread