Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sensor Stains - A Worklow Workaround

After owning my K-5 camera for a week I did another check after taking some 'real world' shots (landscape snow scenes) and due to the small aperture immediately noticed the sensor stains on all shots. Following the gudiance I carried out further test and can confirm the marks in the centre of the sensor.

I am an optimist though and I am not consumed by it but I will still send it back to Amazon tomorrow for a replacement as it is not good for the type of photos and aperture sizes that I regularly use (and I have another good camera to use in the meantime). However, I did consider whether to hold on and use the following method to deal with the problem:

Possible workaround:
I did consider setting up an 'Action' on Photoshop to batch process or individually correct the shots (via Spot Healing Tool), removing the marks automatically which would be simple to do as the marks are always in the same place (obviously prior to any cropping).

Has anyone else considered this? I just thought it may be of help to some members who were not really wanting to send their camera back at the moment and wanted a simple workaround for now by pushing a single button to remove all the marks at once.

Hope this may benefit one or two out there
Dave

12-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adventura Quote
After owning my K-5 camera for a week I did another check after taking some 'real world' shots (landscape snow scenes) and due to the small aperture immediately noticed the sensor stains on all shots. Following the gudiance I carried out further test and can confirm the marks in the centre of the sensor.

I am an optimist though and I am not consumed by it but I will still send it back to Amazon tomorrow for a replacement as it is not good for the type of photos and aperture sizes that I regularly use (and I have another good camera to use in the meantime). However, I did consider whether to hold on and use the following method to deal with the problem:

Possible workaround:
I did consider setting up an 'Action' on Photoshop to batch process or individually correct the shots (via Spot Healing Tool), removing the marks automatically which would be simple to do as the marks are always in the same place (obviously prior to any cropping).

Has anyone else considered this? I just thought it may be of help to some members who were not really wanting to send their camera back at the moment and wanted a simple workaround for now by pushing a single button to remove all the marks at once.

Hope this may benefit one or two out there
Dave
Dave,

This actually is a good idea, especially for those who are keeping their K5 during the Holiday Season.
If you do have such an "action" written up for PS, by all means please post it here; I am sure some folks will be pleased to have it.

Cheers.

JP
12-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adventura Quote
would be simple to do as the marks are always in the same place
If you are using Photoshop, I think you can do that on ACR; simply use the spot removal tool on one image and synchronize all the files with this setting; all spots should be automatically removed.
Since the spot healing takes an aleatory sample to clone, an action may not solve the problem. Either way, it's a simple workaround that may easily solve the spot issue on the K-5 sensor.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 12-19-2010 at 03:02 PM.
12-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

On many pics the spots won't be visible because the image happens to be dark in that area, or because they were taken at say F8 or lower.

Where it is visible, it is very easy to patch it up in Photoshop. I just copy/paste a bit of the nearby image over the spot.

12-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In light room you can copy and paste spot removal as well as other settings.