Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K5 without video

Is there a Pentax model that has as good specs as the K5 without video capabilities. I already have a great camcorder and do not require video out of a digital camera. I love the specs of the K5 just don't want to have or pay for video capabilities that I don't need and will never use. Thanks for reading my post.

P.S. I know about the K7 but I understand it has video capabilities as well and does not have as good specs as the K5.

12-21-2010, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
you could try to get your hands on a 645D.. has no video so you wouldnt have to pay for that.. as far as I heard, the 645D should be slightly above the K-5 specs..
12-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just buy the K-5 and don't worry about it. You're not really "paying for video" capability. That's now just crap that camera manufacturer's are putting in everything because most people think it's neato.

I wish I could buy a decent mobile phone without "paying for the photo capability." But It ain't gonna happen..
12-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess DLSRs are bound to have video for marketing reasons. Also, the direct cost of that isn't much as this can be had with the same hardware which is needed for still shots. The software development cost is there, but if this is done for one model, offering another without the software support isn't really going to lower the cost / unit. I would much prefer that the software development effort was concentrated on the key still shooting features for a high quality initial implementation of these. In general I suppose that most modern gadgets would benefit from less features for improved (software) quality, but I'd strongly advise against holding one's breath while waiting that to happen :-)

12-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The last consumer grade Pentax DSLR to not have video was the K-m/K2000. It is basically 100% guaranteed that every consumer level DSLR Pentax will ever make from now on will have video.

You're not "paying" for video. The sensor was already designed by Sony to handle video in the first place. The video software is pretty much unchanged from the K-7 with the exception of resolution and framerate. These minor tweaks incur basically no developmental costs in the big picture. Besides, if there was another camera with video concurrent with the "no video K-5", that would imply that the developmental costs have already been paid, meaning that there are 0 savings to be had.

If anything, I suspect you would actually pay significantly more if Pentax had a DSLR without video, in order to offset the cost of running an additional production line, producing and testing separate, redundant software, and to recoup the losses Pentax would take from the inevitable thrashing it would take in the review world for not having video. You think the complaints about no AF in video are bad? Imagine the uproar if the DPReview category for video read "0". The camera would garner significant negative publicity, and not all the "anti-video" enthusiasts in the world would help offset the loss.

In short, it will never happen. The only camera line Pentax will produce from now on without video is the medium format line (645D).

Last edited by Cannikin; 12-21-2010 at 07:50 PM.
12-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
The last consumer grade Pentax DSLR to not have video was the K-m/K2000. It is basically 100% guaranteed that every consumer level DSLR Pentax will ever make from now on will have video.

You're not "paying" for video. The sensor was already designed by Sony to handle video in the first place. The video software is pretty much unchanged from the K-7 with the exception of resolution and framerate. These minor tweaks incur basically no developmental costs in the big picture. Besides, if there was another camera with video concurrent with the "no video K-5", that would imply that the developmental costs have already been paid, meaning that there are 0 savings to be had.

If anything, I suspect you would actually pay significantly more if Pentax had a DSLR without video, in order to offset the cost of running an additional production line, producing and testing separate, redundant software, and to recoup the losses Pentax would take from the inevitable thrashing it would take in the review world for not having video. You think the complaints about no AF in video are bad? Imagine the uproar if the DPReview category for video read "0". The camera would garner significant negative publicity, and not all the "anti-video" enthusiasts in the world would help offset the loss.

In short, it will never happen. The only camera line Pentax will produce from now on without video is the medium format line (645D).
I agree. The thing is that having video is really a side effect of having sensors with fast read outs, capable of doing high numbers of frames per second. Pentax doesn't manufacture their own sensors, they buy them from companies like Sony and Samsung, who currently only put out sensors capable of video. I guess because the "marketplace demands it."

Some people feel like cameras should be like cars and that you should be able to pick your options: tilt steering, CD carousel, etc. It doesn't really work that way. The camera companies design two or three cameras that they hope will appeal to the broadest audience and then they market them. If there is a feature you don't like, just don't use it, but don't feel like you are paying extra for it either.
12-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I wish I could buy a decent mobile phone without "paying for the photo capability." But It ain't gonna happen..
ditto!

12-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hal_a Quote
ditto!
Actually, in France, you can buy an old Nokia, you the 3310 style, refurbished. 75€. Ouch it's more expensive that a 2010 phone with a screen color and a camera!
12-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

economies of scale would actually make it cost more to do one without video now. If they did one without video it would very likely just be disabled in software too :P
12-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just put a bit of black tape over the movie icon on the Mode dial and you'll be good to go!
12-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Is there a Pentax model that has as good specs as the K5 without video capabilities. I already have a great camcorder and do not require video out of a digital camera. I love the specs of the K5 just don't want to have or pay for video capabilities that I don't need and will never use. Thanks for reading my post.

P.S. I know about the K7 but I understand it has video capabilities as well and does not have as good specs as the K5.
Pentax uses MJPEG for video - video support with MJPEG is basically free. A tiny bit of firmware development effort and that's it.

As others have said, economies of scale would mean that it would be impossible to have a K-5 without video at a cost savings - it would actually cost MORE since they'd have to remove a feature from the firmware and regression test it.

The only hardware they added for video was the mic jack and an internal mic - these are so cheap that you'd save $10 at most on the camera, without taking economies of scale into account. Take them into account and you'll probably spend $100-200 extra to remove video.

(Just like sometimes cell phones without cameras cost MORE than their camera-equipped counterpart - "no camera" is a niche feature for those entering areas where cameras are forbidden, and as a result, the phone that has a part removed actually costs the user *more* because it's such a niche product.)
12-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Pentax uses MJPEG for video - video support with MJPEG is basically free. A tiny bit of firmware development effort and that's it.

As others have said, economies of scale would mean that it would be impossible to have a K-5 without video at a cost savings - it would actually cost MORE since they'd have to remove a feature from the firmware and regression test it.

The only hardware they added for video was the mic jack and an internal mic - these are so cheap that you'd save $10 at most on the camera, without taking economies of scale into account. Take them into account and you'll probably spend $100-200 extra to remove video.

(Just like sometimes cell phones without cameras cost MORE than their camera-equipped counterpart - "no camera" is a niche feature for those entering areas where cameras are forbidden, and as a result, the phone that has a part removed actually costs the user *more* because it's such a niche product.)
This is precisely why every electronic device in my house blinks 12:00 12:00 12:00
12-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
This is precisely why every electronic device in my house blinks 12:00 12:00 12:00
lol..... j/k ... i ever had the same experience...
12-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you want the capabilities of the K-5 but have no use for video? Buy the K-5 and never use the video. It's really a simple thing...and much simpler than finding a late model DSLR anywhere on par with the K-5 without a video function (Year 2010), which I do not think exists.

Jason
01-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #15
Forum Member

Many people seem to bother regarding the video mode included in all new pentax cameras... I just want to say that at first place it was not my top priority either. But now I started to seriously use it and I think the video function is absolutely fantastic!
There is a good reason why manufactures include it into their camera bodies: You have a fast, large sensor so why not use it for as much as possible!
You only pay with one extra setting on your menu-wheel, that's it. And the results can be just as far from camcorder quality as your pictures are from a cheap pocket camera!

I personally don't use external flash at all, but I -hey- of course there is such a function included!
You don't buy a K5-like camera for half a year, so how can you know what you will be doing in the future?