Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Cool video, like it. Made me smile

Babya is a cool name too. Let's hope it's a girl though
Thanks. Haha. The Baby A thing is a bit of a joke, because for a while now Genny and I have been pretty focal with the fact that we have chosen a name for her (she is a girl, or at least she better be), and that we're not telling anyone what it is. So are friends and family are always trying to extract it out of us, and we're always egging them on with taunts and clues. We decided to give everyone the first initial 'A' for a Christmas present.

12-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really great! As a rank newcomer to DSLR video, I'd like to ask a basic question. How did you edit/merge the various clips? Is there some sort of software available that's not really expensive? I've just done some video test shots - the HD resolution is quite impressive.

John
12-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Thanks for all the great information on the focus techniques. Sounds like there is a lot to learn.

Glenn
Of course there is. But that's why it's so fun! If there wasn't a whole lot to learn, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Really great! As a rank newcomer to DSLR video, I'd like to ask a basic question. How did you edit/merge the various clips? Is there some sort of software available that's not really expensive? I've just done some video test shots - the HD resolution is quite impressive.

John
John,

This was edited together in Final Cut Express, which is a pretty capable, middle of the road program, and is pretty affordable at $200. On the real cheap, you can get decent results with basic operations from iMovie, but I always found the user interface and learning curve to be a bit annoying. For how limited it is, I would think it should be easier to learn. And since my aspirations with video have always been towards professional video, my logic was that I shouldn't waste time learning iMovie, if I'm invariably going to upgrade to one of the pro level editing suites. But if you only want to make videos for fun, it might very well be worth your while. I've seen some pretty good stuff come out of iMovie.

I decided to start with FCE, since it's the same basic controls as Final Cut Studio, and I figured that way, when I upgrade, I will already be familiar with it. The only downer is that FCE is not upgradable to FCS, so even if you already have FCE, you still have to pay full price to get FCS. And at the moment, I'm still a bit torn between if I want togo with Final Cut Studio 7 or Adobe Premier Pro CS5.

Cheers,
Ben

12-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ben,
as we are at it, do you have an educated opinion about FCe vs Adobe Premiere Elements 9? I hear that both programs leave a lot to desire, esp. in their support for 1080p or intuitive controls. E.g., I was put off in APE that a still photo cannot be imported at full size and therefore, a full Ken Burns effect will show jaggies. And the time involved to figure it out...
12-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
Forum Member

Ben, thanks for sharing. It puts a very personal touch on the use of video, and reminds me that story and people are far more important than technique. Lovely family.
12-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ben,
as we are at it, do you have an educated opinion about FCe vs Adobe Premiere Elements 9? I hear that both programs leave a lot to desire, esp. in their support for 1080p or intuitive controls. E.g., I was put off in APE that a still photo cannot be imported at full size and therefore, a full Ken Burns effect will show jaggies. And the time involved to figure it out...
Falcon,
Sorry, but I don't have any experience with Adobe Premiere Elements. I have so far only used FCE. But in my researching about Final Cut vs Premier, it seems like they are very comparable, with each on being slightly better at different things. They seem to be in very much the situation as Lightroom and Aperture, where it becomes more an issue of preference and opinion, and if there is a better program, it is very marginal, and changes back and forth with various releases. I would assume the same to be true for FCE vs APE.

12-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Falcon,
Sorry, but I don't have any experience with Adobe Premiere Elements. I have so far only used FCE. But in my researching about Final Cut vs Premier, it seems like they are very comparable, with each on being slightly better at different things. They seem to be in very much the situation as Lightroom and Aperture, where it becomes more an issue of preference and opinion, and if there is a better program, it is very marginal, and changes back and forth with various releases. I would assume the same to be true for FCE vs APE.
Thanks. But is it correct that the current version of FCE cannot import native K-5 data, i.e. 1080p at 25p? It would be hard to believe...
12-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. But is it correct that the current version of FCE cannot import native K-5 data, i.e. 1080p at 25p? It would be hard to believe...
I have the feeling that might be true. The video I did was 720p30, so that worked fine. But I have yet to work on something at full 1080p25 in FCE. I'l do it soon and will let you know. If it doesn't, it's not a huge deal to transcode into something else. But it would be nicer to have native support.
12-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ben, nice inspiring video.

If I recall what you told me, the due date is coming up soon. Best of luck to you and Genny in the New Year!

Cheers,
Seth
12-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Ben, nice inspiring video.

If I recall what you told me, the due date is coming up soon. Best of luck to you and Genny in the New Year!

Cheers,
Seth
Thanks, Seth!

Yup, we're in the final week. Could be any day now, yikes!
12-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice job on the video..I'm sure you'll get good use of it when the crawling one comes along :-)
First evidence I've seen of jello shutter on the K5 though :-P
The short pan sequence w/ the tree leaves near the start and the final sequence w/ the bow on yourself, unless that's youtube messing with the video...
12-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great! Thanks for sharing.
12-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Nice job on the video..I'm sure you'll get good use of it when the crawling one comes along :-)
First evidence I've seen of jello shutter on the K5 though :-P
The short pan sequence w/ the tree leaves near the start and the final sequence w/ the bow on yourself, unless that's youtube messing with the video...
Thanks. I'm fairly sure that it is just vimeo playing back a bit choppy. Because I've noticed it a few times, but it seems like it's always in a different place. The panning shot was on a tripod with a fluid head, so I don't think there would be the high frequency camera shake that produces wobble, plus I think it was panning too slowly to produce skew. And the dolly push in on the belly was on a tripod on a dolly, so that was also a rock solid shot, and I don't think I was pushing fast enough to create skew.

So, I think that it is most likely a playback issue, because Idon't think the right kind of speed of movements needed to create any jello effects were present. Also, that bow is on my wife's belly. I'm not pregnant.