Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #31

Very interesting what makes people wait for a "new" camera. My sense is if you want "professional" video ...get a video camera. What particularly interests me is real jumps in quality and function. I don't buy a new camera often. Last one was K10D the Photokina Star award winner. Now the K-5 has taken the honors again 3 years later. From what I've seen...well deserved (and time to buy a new camera once the mystery staining is resolved).

12-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frudesappy Quote
Very interesting what makes people wait for a "new" camera. My sense is if you want "professional" video ...get a video camera. What particularly interests me is real jumps in quality and function. I don't buy a new camera often. Last one was K10D the Photokina Star award winner. Now the K-5 has taken the honors again 3 years later. From what I've seen...well deserved (and time to buy a new camera once the mystery staining is resolved).

have you see what people is doing with the 5D, 7D, D7000? do you know that they recorded a House episode with a 5D?
12-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #33
Veteran Member

My suggestion to Pentax is to get all of the quality niggles under control first. The brand really has a lot of potential.

It makes you wonder if they are thinking about releasing a "K3" earlier than expected. Perhaps the K5 (and K-r) will develop a black eye with all of the issues that have been reported. Imagine a K5 that delivers as promised and assembled with pride. I think people would get pretty excited about that.
12-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #34
Veteran Member

The K10d had the reported issue of "hot pixels" and "bad colour". I decided to get it anyways and was very happy with it. The K20d due to bad reporting on image quality, the K-7 had the dreaded "green line" issue. I have had multiple copies of those without ever experiencing a problem.

All of these issues seem to disappear after some time, and I'm sure issues with the K-5 will also soon be forgotten. A great deal of effort goes into finding fault with new camera products, with entire blogs being devoted to the cause. Someone will find a some sort of problem with the K-3 (or whatever it will be called) and that issue will also be eventually forgotten. This also isn't a Pentax issue, all the fuss when the 7D was released, a bad batch of 5Ds, etc etc.

There is some risk when being an early adopter. I bought the K-5 locally, so that if there was an issue, I wouldn't have to ship it off somewhere. If you need to purchase it online, I would expect that they already have the issue fixed, and once the existing stock is sold off, the new stock will be clean.

12-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #35
Veteran Member

The K-5 is and excellent camera even with its issues, but there are still several things that Pentax could address and a new body is needed for some of them. Dual SDXC cards would require a new body or make a grip that allowed for a second SD card slot, but you still need to make some slight design changes to the body.

VF could be bigger.
Tethering
Improved AF
Even quieter shutter
NO "shutter induced blur"
Improve the in-body IS. The Pentax version is lagging behind Olympus and even Sony.
Flash system needs to be improved.
Improved AF
Improved AF
Improved AF
12-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #36
Veteran Member

VF could be bigger -- Not in this body's form factor. Do you want a bigger body?
Tethering -- Has shown to have the ability, just need official pentax software
Improved AF -- check
Even quieter shutter -- Already has the quietest out there, maybe use earplugs?
NO "shutter induced blur" -- what "shutter induced blur"???
Improve the in-body IS. The Pentax version is lagging behind Olympus and even Sony. -- Any proof of this?
Flash system needs to be improved -- they could use more flash choices but the system is fine
Improved AF -- again, done.
Improved AF -- ...
Improved AF -- ...
12-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
VF could be bigger -- Not in this body's form factor. Do you want a bigger body?
Tethering -- Has shown to have the ability, just need official pentax software
Improved AF -- check
Even quieter shutter -- Already has the quietest out there, maybe use earplugs?
NO "shutter induced blur" -- what "shutter induced blur"???
Improve the in-body IS. The Pentax version is lagging behind Olympus and even Sony. -- Any proof of this?
Flash system needs to be improved -- they could use more flash choices but the system is fine
Improved AF -- again, done.
Improved AF -- ...
Improved AF -- ...
Did you not read the first line of my post....... "but there are still several things that Pentax could address and a new body is needed for some of them"

Bigger VF and dual SD slots would be worth some added size.
I have used Olympus (E-3) and Sony A900 and the in-body IS is better on both of those. The Pentax in-body IS needs to be improved.
I don't want to argue with anyone on what Pentax needs to improve. Just stating what I would like to see them improve. If you happy then more power to you.

12-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I think I remember reading reviews of the Sony body that said the same thing...they can compensate for another stop of shaking compared to Pentax's.

I wish Pentax would add full manual control to shutter/aperture in video as well (though you can do hacks w/ AE lock)...a lot of the bleeding edge stuff is being done w/ DSLR video (mostly the 5DmkII) nowadays...
01-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
For tethering, I've been looking at the eyefi x2 cards hooked to an Android tablet via adhoc wifi (needs some android hacking unfortunately). Might be a viable alternative depending on whether you want to change settings from the computer...
It's annoying that Android can so easily support adhoc wifi, but doesn't out of the box. I mean, it's a matter of replacing one stupid file! (I did the wpa_supplicant hack on my Huawei S7).

As to the Sony news about a sensor plant and its potential for meaning a FF Pentax - Sony already has FF sensors, so any new sensor plant news that indicates FF news does not necessarily mean a thing for Pentax. Given Pentax's attitudes towards FF (including releasing FF-capable lenses as "DA" series, such as the *200 and *300), not likely.

As to the Nikon F4 numbering - is it F4 in Japan or something else? Keep in mind sometimes cameras have different names/model numbers in Japan than the rest of the world. For example, Canon's "Digital Elph" series in the US are known as IXUS with completely different model numbers elsewehere.

As to firmware updates for video - I'd really like manual audio level control (should be easy) and maybe a mic attenuator (probably not possible w/o a hardware change, so will have to implement an offboard inline att for loud concerts.)

Just got my K-5 Thursday. Need to unpack my SD reader to find out how last night's video came out.

Oh as to video on DSLR - There are some basic features of my Canon HF100 I use all the time that are missing from the K-5, however, I think IQ is going to be much better, AND it's a lot easier to handhold a DSLR for video and still have it look stable.
01-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are all types of shooters here....needs are different for all of them, but my "old" K20D is still better than I am.....so when I get the K5 I can't imagine looking too far ahead for another model, it seems to have more of everything that I will be upgrading for.
My youngest son is going for his fourth wife this year.......do you ever reckon that the "problems" we have might be us, and a new model will not bring the satisfaction we seek? Just asking.......
Best Regards! & Happy New Year to All Here!
01-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
There are all types of shooters here....needs are different for all of them, but my "old" K20D is still better than I am.....so when I get the K5 I can't imagine looking too far ahead for another model, it seems to have more of everything that I will be upgrading for.
My youngest son is going for his fourth wife this year.......do you ever reckon that the "problems" we have might be us, and a new model will not bring the satisfaction we seek? Just asking.......
Best Regards! & Happy New Year to All Here!
+1.
Most of the features people want now are quite secondary to what the machine should do well.
A camera designed for still photography should do that well. A K5 that works as it should will be an excellent machine for what it's primary design is.
As the K5 sits, it has one issue that I think is pretty serious, in that there is no easy work around for it in a lot of instances, this being what appears to be mirror slap at shutter speeds approaching the low end of hand holdable.
If what you do with the camera involves a lot of shooting in or around the 1/15 second range, the K5 might be a frustrating camera to use.
OTOH, I'm far less concerned about video capabilities since that is secondary to the primary purpose of the camera. The SLR camera that comes out where still photography is an adjunct to video is the camera that I don't buy.
For example, a camera whose viewfinder is more geared towards video than still is a camera that I'd leave on the shelf.
It's probably not much of a coincidence that people who are drawn to video like electronic viewfinders while people who aren't interested in video range from mostly not caring to not wanting an EVF, at least not at their present level of usability.

I think you'd like a K5 based on what I've seen you post. It's hard to kick at an extra couple of stops of ISO performance when you are shooting with a long telephoto lens, and it's hard to disagree with improved AF when you are shooting little furry animals that dart about.

The shortcomings of the K5 are mostly imaginary, it's a pretty incredible piece of technology. They have a couple of things to tweak in, and hopefully they can resolve the mechanical issue with the mirror.
01-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #42
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wheatfield, I have a ton of shots at low shutter speeds, like this one at 1/20 hand held @ 500mm with the K10D and many more with the K20D in the same range, so that could pose a problem, no doubt. However, this one was shot at ISO 560 so how much more speed do you think I could have gotten with the K5 by bumping up the ISO and still maintaining an equal quality? Couldn't this offset the problem to a large degree? Although I do shoot at low speeds, I try to avoid it due to the ratio of shots that are good always being less than when I have a little speed....for the Bigma, that is usually anything over 1/90 producing usable shots with consistency.
Best Regards & Happy New Year!
Rupert

[IMG] [/IMG]
01-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Wheatfield, I have a ton of shots at low shutter speeds, like this one at 1/20 hand held @ 500mm with the K10D and many more with the K20D in the same range, so that could pose a problem, no doubt. However, this one was shot at ISO 560 so how much more speed do you think I could have gotten with the K5 by bumping up the ISO and still maintaining an equal quality? Couldn't this offset the problem to a large degree? Although I do shoot at low speeds, I try to avoid it due to the ratio of shots that are good always being less than when I have a little speed....for the Bigma, that is usually anything over 1/90 producing usable shots with consistency.
Best Regards & Happy New Year!
Rupert

[/url] [/IMG]
Nice one Rupert.
I found with the K20 that I wasn't really happy with it past ISO 800, and I preferred staying at ISO640 or lower. The K5 seems to be as good at 3200 as the k20 was at 640, so there is a couple of stops and perhaps a bit more of ISO advantage. In the handheld at 1/20th scenario above, that couple of stops advantage could put you up to 1/100 second, though judging from the picture above, you are steady enough that it might not matter so much.
If nothing else, it would give you the ability to stop any slight motion from the subject.
And yes, I am trying to enable you into a K5....
01-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #44
Banned

However, this one was shot at ISO 560 so how much more speed do you think I could have gotten with the K5 by bumping up the ISO and still maintaining an equal quality? Couldn't this offset the problem to a large degree? Although I do shoot at low speeds, I try to avoid it due to the ratio of shots that are good always being less than when I have a little speed....for the Bigma, that is usually anything over 1/90 producing usable shots with consistency.
Wow that is very nice shot. Well it is very simple. You van win at lest 2 stops with the K-5. Going back to this topic and looking ahead and the follower off the K-5 is a full frame, you would probably gain one stop more.
01-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I guess we are excluding the Canon 1D mark IV in your example.