Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
No coincidence....

that some of the new posters on here are Nikon users claiming to be trying to jump ship and sell all to get into a Pentax system. I think Nikon is in the crisis mode over the K5. It puts the D300 to shame and takes a solid stab at the D700 while making the D7000 seem like a mute point for a choice. I think Nikon knows that the K5 is a pretty serious threat.

12-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And don't forget: the K5 is WR, so I can use it as an anchor for my boat while I shoot landscapes with my Nikon!
12-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As much as I am a Pentax fan, there's just so many more Nikon users and availability out there that a few hundred, or even a few thousand Nikonians jumping ship will barely be noticeable by Nikon.
I see much more going the other way because they just can't get Pentax equipment in their city.

70% of the specialized camera stores in Montreal sell Pentax, but they sell the camera with kit lens. The number drops significantly if you wish to get more lenses. Very few have other lenses available, and for most they have to order it for you.

One example that affects me personally: There is only one place where I can rent Pentax equipment within 100 miles radius of Montreal. And that's only a single lens, the Sigma 10-20mm.

Whereas if I was looking to rent Nikon, Canon, Leica or Hasselblad...even Olympus and Sony, I have over 50 locations within 10 miles of my house, each with multiple options.

You'd think that the place that is open-minded enough to rent Pentax equipement would have it rented often enough to justify making other lenses available for rent. But alas,
I was the first to rent it since they made it available 2 years ago!

I really don't see how Pentax is a threat to Nikon or Canon over the next few years. However, if they continue to provide excellent equipment and slowly increase the user-base, maybe they'll begin to be a threat in 5 years.

That's my opinion, based on what I see. Maybe others have better Pentax availability in their region.
12-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote

That's my opinion, based on what I see. Maybe others have better Pentax availability in their region.
As with most things in Canada, it gets better as you travel west.....

12-28-2010, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Oh no... not another one... are anti-fanboyism pills out yet?

As a long time Pentax user and fairly long time Nikon user I'm very open-minded about limitations of both systems... So all these fanboys comments about how Pentax K$ beats D300s in that and in that make me... well... laughing about retarded people isn't the nicest thing to do... so I don't laugh anymore...

When it comes to beating anything, the only thing Pentax really has to offer over the competition is its size... Pentax bodies and Pentax limited primes are the smallest offering on the market... that's the only reason why i bought back a Pentax system... for the rest.... sorry guys, but the rest is sh#t... dodgy flash work, non-existent QC.... despite what everybody want to believe, AF speed is still lagging behind big boys, not to mention that accuracy, even in day light is questionable...

K5 is certainly a huge step forward for Pentax... sensor performance is just awesome... it surely gives a 3-years old Nikon camera a hell of run for more money paid... I'm anxious to see what fanboys will have an erection about when D400 comes out... Yeah, I know.... there's always SR and WR to brag about... and if SR is useful.... sometimes... right when K5 tends to front-focus a lot... Can somebody tell me what WR is good for if best Pentax lenses (Limiteds) aren't WR'ed?

And I still can't figure out the mystery of dust getting behind the rear LCD despite the fact that the camera is so super-dupper weather-sealed...

K5's AF speed is actually quite ahead of K7... I'd even say in dim light it locks in faster than D90... It's comparable to D300s... BTW, comparable doesn't mean "the same"... it only means that now you can actually compare them, because anything before K7 was just "not funny"... Hell, even D70 focuses a lot faster than any Pentax camera before K7/K5...

Of course, the biggest trade-of of owning Nikon gear, is that it's huge... everything of quality grade is just freaking big! I loved the 17-55/2.8 on D300s IQ-wise, but I hated the lens it-self for being a fuc#ing brick... sold it very quickly for the same reason... Nevermind the 24-70 and all the newly released Nikon lenses... At some point I had to realize that IQ and "performance" are not the only things that count...

And I really don't thing that neither Canon or Nikon really gives a damn about K5.... especially with the whole first batch gone bananas with spotted sensors...

Last edited by alexeyga; 12-28-2010 at 05:57 PM.
12-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FunkyMonk Quote
while making the D7000 seem like a mute point for a choice.
Huh? Why in the world would the D7000 be moot (not "mute"..LOL)??

Nikon added a crapload of features to the D7000 so it competes much better w/ the pentax prosumer (K10/K20/K7/K5) line which was always slotted between the Nikon D80/D200 and D90/D300.
I agree w/ Alexey...what a weird thread...
12-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote

And I really don't thing that neither Canon or Nikon really gives a damn about K5.... especially with the whole first batch gone bananas with spotted sensors...
Oh, you are wrong there my friend, it is just slightly more than half that is affected, even among pixelpeepers here.

You are right about the main Nikon "bad thing". The size. Although I am sure there are actually people who will say "oh no I like Nikon it feels so big and solid" so I bet there are people who disagree with you on that one as well.
SR , well people may or may not like it but I have found it usefull.
(If stabilization wasn't usefull, Canon and Nikon wouldn;t have had VR and IS lenses).

WR lenses... Although I seriously lament the lack of a fast wide sealed prime, there is some logic in not having sealed primes. Conditions requiring WR or sealing are not the most ideal conditions for swapping lenses a lot. WR weather is more "zoom weather".

12-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As with most things in Canada, it gets better as you travel west.....
Or not. Here at our local camera shop in Fredericton, N.B., you can play with a demo Kx, Kr, K7 or K5, and they have all of them in stock. And for each you can choose one of three lenses (18-55WR, DAL 35 and DA 18-135) as your kit, plus they have a fair supply of other Pentax and Sigma lenses (Pentax mount) on the shelves to make your wallet lighter. Exceptional for a town of 50, 000 in Atlantic Canada, but they say they sell a lot of Pentaxes, so they make sure they have them in stock. If you stock 'em and show 'em, people will buy 'em, seems to be their philosophy. If anyone is passing through, it's Harvey's (Foto Source) downtown.
12-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote

As a long time Pentax user and fairly long time Nikon user I'm very open-minded about limitations of both systems... So all these fanboys comments about how Pentax K$ beats D300s in that and in that make me... well... laughing about retarded people isn't the nicest thing to do... so I don't laugh anymore...

When it comes to beating anything, the only thing Pentax really has to offer over the competition is its size... Pentax bodies and Pentax limited primes are the smallest offering on the market... that's the only reason why i bought back a Pentax system... for the rest.... sorry guys, but the rest is sh#t... dodgy flash work, non-existent QC.... despite what everybody want to believe, AF speed is still lagging behind big boys, not to mention that accuracy, even in day light is questionable...

K5 is certainly a huge step forward for Pentax... sensor performance is just awesome... it surely gives a 3-years old Nikon camera a hell of run for more money paid... I'm anxious to see what fanboys will have an erection about when D400 comes out... Yeah, I know.... there's always SR and WR to brag about... and if SR is useful.... sometimes... right when K5 tends to front-focus a lot... Can somebody tell me what WR is good for if best Pentax lenses (Limiteds) aren't WR'ed?

And I still can't figure out the mystery of dust getting behind the rear LCD despite the fact that the camera is so super-dupper weather-sealed...

K5's AF speed is actually quite ahead of K7... I'd even say in dim light it locks in faster than D90... It's comparable to D300s... BTW, comparable doesn't mean "the same"... it only means that now you can actually compare them, because anything before K7 was just "not funny"... Hell, even D70 focuses a lot faster than any Pentax camera before K7/K5...

Of course, the biggest trade-of of owning Nikon gear, is that it's huge... everything of quality grade is just freaking big! I loved the 17-55/2.8 on D300s IQ-wise, but I hated the lens it-self for being a fuc#ing brick... sold it very quickly for the same reason... Nevermind the 24-70 and all the newly released Nikon lenses... At some point I had to realize that IQ and "performance" are not the only things that count...

If the major advantage that Pentax has over Nikon is size, I would say that is rather significant--not just a minor frill. To get IQ that is competitive with a FF D700 in a much more compact and light weight body is something that a lot of FF users are going to start thinking about. Add to that in-body SR and smaller lenses, and some heads will be turning. I'm not saying that most will be switching, but some will, especially once Pentax gets the sensor "stain" business fixed.

Rob
12-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FunkyMonk Quote
I think Nikon is in the crisis mode over the K5.
It puts the D300 to shame and takes a solid stab at the D700 while making the D7000 seem like a mute point for a choice.
I think Nikon knows that the K5 is a pretty serious threat.
None of the above statements are actually true . And I am a Pentax user.

Nikon's market share is close to 30%. Pentax's market share is close to 5%. I work with a strategy consulting firm and believe me, as a market entry strategy for a new product, a company of Nikon's size does not care for a company with close to 0 retail presence, and a 5% market share.

The difference between a D7000 and K-5 (and I am with you that k-5 is better) is overblown by your statement. An average consumer (that D7000 is aimed at) is not going to pixel peep. He is going to go by what he sees in store. In real terms, k-5 is not a threat, or even a competitor of D7000. People who are buying k-5 are semi-pro photogs, or at least very good photogs. Nikon has not released its semi-pro offerings yet. As a mid-range APS-C DLSR from Nikon, D7000 stacks up more than nicely against the top APS-C offering from Pentax.

Don't mean to snub your statements. Understand your passion.

cheers,

Abhi
12-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
The difference between a D7000 and K-5 (and I am with you that k-5 is better) is overblown by your statement. An average consumer (that D7000 is aimed at) is not going to pixel peep. He is going to go by what he sees in store.
Aren't people who intend to spend $1000 + on a dslr body generally going by the reviews they consult?
12-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Or not. Here at our local camera shop in Fredericton, N.B., you can play with a demo Kx, Kr, K7 or K5, and they have all of them in stock. And for each you can choose one of three lenses (18-55WR, DAL 35 and DA 18-135) as your kit, plus they have a fair supply of other Pentax and Sigma lenses (Pentax mount) on the shelves to make your wallet lighter. Exceptional for a town of 50, 000 in Atlantic Canada, but they say they sell a lot of Pentaxes, so they make sure they have them in stock. If you stock 'em and show 'em, people will buy 'em, seems to be their philosophy. If anyone is passing through, it's Harvey's (Foto Source) downtown.
Or so! Just because it gets better when you travel east from the center of the universe doesn't mean it can't get better going the other way as well.
12-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
If the major advantage that Pentax has over Nikon is size, I would say that is rather significant--not just a minor frill. To get IQ that is competitive with a FF D700 in a much more compact and light weight body is something that a lot of FF users are going to start thinking about. Add to that in-body SR and smaller lenses, and some heads will be turning. I'm not saying that most will be switching, but some will, especially once Pentax gets the sensor "stain" business fixed.

Rob
I can't stop laughing at this. IQ competitive with a D700? Sorry, but the K5 is still a good stop and a bit behind the D700 (with its 3 year old sensor) as far as high ISO is concerned. At base ISO all DSLR's are pretty much indistinguishable to the naked eye in a normal sized print. I think you are confusing the D700 with the D7000. The K5 is competitive with the K7000, but still lags slightly behind the old outdated D700.

I do agree though, if a user likes a smaller camera body then Pentax is where it's at. If a user wants a larger body then that is what they want and will shop elsewhere. Camera body size is a moot point though as ergonomics are different for everyone and has no effect on IQ. Also the D7000 is a lot smaller and lighter than a D700 so if a Nikon user wants that IQ in a lighter smaller body they would go that route not trade their entire systems to go to Pentax.

Some will always switch as they see the grass being greener, but more Pentaxians are switching to Nikon than Nikonians are switching to Pentax. The number of those who do switch to Pentax will be insignificant and will not already be heavily invested in the Nikon system.
12-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
I can't stop laughing at this. IQ competitive with a D700? Sorry, but the K5 is still a good stop and a bit behind the D700 (with its 3 year old sensor) as far as high ISO is concerned. At base ISO all DSLR's are pretty much indistinguishable to the naked eye in a normal sized print. I think you are confusing the D700 with the D7000. The K5 is competitive with the K7000, but still lags slightly behind the old outdated D700.

I do agree though, if a user likes a smaller camera body then Pentax is where it's at. If a user wants a larger body then that is what they want and will shop elsewhere. Camera body size is a moot point though as ergonomics are different for everyone and has no effect on IQ. Also the D7000 is a lot smaller and lighter than a D700 so if a Nikon user wants that IQ in a lighter smaller body they would go that route not trade their entire systems to go to Pentax.

Some will always switch as they see the grass being greener, but more Pentaxians are switching to Nikon than Nikonians are switching to Pentax. The number of those who do switch to Pentax will be insignificant and will not already be heavily invested in the Nikon system.

Is that your assumption or based on actual data
12-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
MSD

Remember that a huge portion of Nikon's DSLR market are P-and-S users upgrading to what they can find on the shop's shelf. The comparison between this and current users jumping ship to Pentax, a company of relatively small competition (not to say by any means Pentax is low quality, I love Pentax, but it has a smaller share of the market than, say, Canon) shows how the K-5 will, perhaps, cause Nikon to think about their next models with Pentax in mind, but not go crazy thinking their company has collapsed. Anyway, Nikon has always watched Pentax with its lens competitiveness, but really battled with Canon, its larger 'counterpart'. The K-5 is a big market helper for Pentax, and a good upgrade in Pentax DSLR quality, but I don't see Nikon executives dropping everything and crying about it.

The K-5 is a cause for the other brands to look and think, but in the scheme of the entire DSLR/lens market, won't cause enough damage to hurt Canikon very badly. Although it is a good hit!