Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LCD Screen and buttons not working after a shot..

Got my K5 before Christmas so I have used it quite a bit.
Today it started acting really strange.

I have the info panel (back LCD screen) on but after taking a picture it wont turn that one back on.
The only button that actually (visibly) works is the LiewView button. That will turn on the LV and once I switch that off the LCD screen is back and I can use any button as normal.. That is until after I take the next shot. Then the LCD screen stays black again. Not sure yet if the buttons actually work since I cant see their actions on the screen but I will continue to test this.

Update: I found out that when this happens the buttons doesnt work. I tried this by hitting the WB arrow twice ( that should move the whitebalance down 1 step, in my case from AWB to Sunny) but nothing changed.
I also found out that this only happens if I dont fully release the shutter button emediatly after taking the shot. I I hold it down whole or halfway after the shot and then release it a little later the screen wont turn on as it should. Only after a second shot with a fast & complete release of the shutter button will the screen come back and buttons start working again.

Or is this perhaps expected?
Has anyone else had this or a similar issue or is it some odd settings that can help?

Update 2:

This only happens with my manual lenses and not with my DAL 18-55. Not even if I set the K-5 to manual with the DAL lens.

Last Update I think.

I think I found the bug.
Before this happened I wanted to test my DAL kit lens with the Lens Correction so I mounted the lens and switched that on.
Now I resetted everything to default settings with no luck but when I turned off Lens Correction the problem is gone.

Can anyone confirm this?

Procedure to confirm would probably be:
Mount a lens that can be auto corrected by the K-5 and go into the menus to turn that on.
There are 2 different options and I turned both on. Not sure if its only one of the settings or both yet.

Now mount a lens that isnt supported by the auto correction. This will make that menu option light grey.
Now try take a picture but release the shutter a bit slow. Just hold it an extra second.

Please help me with this so that we can let Pentax know unless they already know.

Last edited by aliasant; 12-30-2010 at 06:12 AM.
02-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #2

Hi, I just had the same problem with my K-5 v1.02. It really seems connected to the lens correction. The problem started when I mounted my FA35 for the first time.
I did a user reset (which would also turn off lens correction) and the problems are gone.
02-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

You do know that with lens corrections turned on, you are waiting longer for the camera to process the images, don't you? Could it be that you're being impatient? Not trying to be combative here, just tossing out a suggestion. Try switching to RAW only and see if that changes anything.

02-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You do know that with lens corrections turned on, you are waiting longer for the camera to process the images, don't you? Could it be that you're being impatient? Not trying to be combative here, just tossing out a suggestion. Try switching to RAW only and see if that changes anything.

I shot RAW only and I Im pretty sure its the lens correction that has a bug.
Definetly not bacuse Im impatient

Try it yourself?

02-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
I shot RAW only and I Im pretty sure its the lens correction that has a bug.
Definetly not bacuse Im impatient

Try it yourself?
My K5 is in Arizona for replacement right now but I'll be happy to when I have it back. It very well could be a bug but I don't use the lens corrections or horizon corrections or any of the other in camera special processing. All I can say for certain at this exact point in time is that when I Did try the corrections, I was too impatient for it to work. It did not display the behavior you describe however but that was FW 1.01. I didn't try it at all with 1.02. Since I post process every image I use, in camera correction is not a feature I use.

02-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My K5 is in Arizona for replacement right now but I'll be happy to when I have it back. It very well could be a bug but I don't use the lens corrections or horizon corrections or any of the other in camera special processing. All I can say for certain at this exact point in time is that when I Did try the corrections, I was too impatient for it to work. It did not display the behavior you describe however but that was FW 1.01. I didn't try it at all with 1.02. Since I post process every image I use, in camera correction is not a feature I use.

When you get your new K5 try it.
Worth remembering here is that Lens Correction works perfectly fine for me if I use my Kit-lens. Doesnt take long at all for it to do its math. Its only when I use a manual lens (that cant be corrected/missing correction data) that the problems occur.
02-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
When you get your new K5 try it.
Worth remembering here is that Lens Correction works perfectly fine for me if I use my Kit-lens. Doesnt take long at all for it to do its math. Its only when I use a manual lens (that cant be corrected/missing correction data) that the problems occur.
Ok. So what you are saying is when there is no lens ID data (other than an SR Focal length) transmitted to the camera, it trips over trying to correct and gets hung up? When it should just be turning the corrections off?

02-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok. So what you are saying is when there is no lens ID data (other than an SR Focal length) transmitted to the camera, it trips over trying to correct and gets hung up? When it should just be turning the corrections off?

What I have been trying to say from the beginning yes.