Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 lens adjustments - How much for your lens?

I think my 16-45 is off a little and has been even on my K10 so going to try and make an adjustment in the K5.

Curious who has adjusted their K5 with a Pentax 16-45 and what your adjustment was.

While at it what other lens did you have to adjust and how much. I am guessing it really is different for every lens. Meaning my 16-45 may need this much but yours doesn't. But curious if any type of consistency.

Also what is the BEST way to make sure your adjusted correctly. Is there a vid or how to adjust you lens w/ K5 for dummies? First attempt at this and hate to screw it up.

12-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't dialed in the lens in question, but I'll tell you how I dial in a lens.
I'm pretty casual about it but I get good AF adjustments. I put the camera in AV mode and adjust the aperture and ISO until I get a happy shutter speed.
I find an object that I can comfortably photograph that is a reasonable distance from my camera.
I take a picture and then adjust the focus bias on that lens to +5, and take a picture.
I then take a picture at -4.
Each time I let the camera refocus by focusing on something nearby and then letting the camera focus on my target object.
I then compare the three images to see which is sharpest, or at least which direction is softer.
Now I know if my lens is a plus or minus, and I zero in on the best offset # by by doing 2 exposure comparisons until I've found the best bias.
12-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have to say I've been very satisfied with my K-5's AF.
The DA 50-135mm needed -2, but that's because I was quite particular about the accuracy at f/2.8. I could easily have left it without adjustment.

None of my other DA and FA lenses have needed lens AF adjustment, and that's a real first for a Pentax body.
12-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am just waiting on delivery of the Spyder Lenscal... saw another user here referring to it.

Its not cheap but I hope it is useful

Cheers

Neil

12-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Curious who has adjusted their K5 with a Pentax 16-45 and what your adjustment was.
My 16-45mm is the only lens (of 8) that did not require an adjustment in the K-5 although it requires -7 in the K20D.
12-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So far I've only adjusted focus on the DA 35 macro to a -2. It was off enough to bother me. The DA*50-135 seems to be right on, though it back focused a bit on the K7. My initial test-shots with the 12-24 looked pretty good - it front focused with both the K20 and K7. I can't figure out the 77 - focus charts looked good but outside it's inconsistent.

I saw a reference to the Spyder product and thought it was really interesting. I hate shooting focus charts, if the chart has lines too near the center, the camera can focus on the wrong spot. If you don't have the chart perfectly straight to the camera you can get strange results. The chart would deal with both problems - you are focusing on a flat surface so you don't have to worry about where the camera is focusing, and the chart that's at an angle is only one one side, so you won't be confused if the chart isn't square to the camera. I'd love to know what you think of it.

I usually shoot a focus chart, look at the pictures to see if I was square etc. Then perhaps shoot them a second time if it looks strange for some reason. If there's something obvious I'll adjust it a bit or a lot, depending on the situation, shoot more charts until I'm satisfied. Then I'll go outside and shoot pictures at different distances to see if its right - that's what really matters anyway. I find that the chart pictures are sometimes either inconclusive, inconsistent or not right for some reason and the whole thing can be frustrating. On the other hand, it's a delight to shoot with a lens that focuses correctly, especially when it's been a problem before.
12-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adjustement varies from -2 to +10 for my lenses; but here I speak of lenses in the range 15-600 mm; the one needing most adjustment being the DA*200.
For tele lenses and normal lenses, I use the tim Jackson focus chart; you can download it here
http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf
beware for some lenses the focus shifts when stopped down so (example : FA*600) so I adjust the focus test with the lens stopped down at f5.6 (this is an uncommon lens though, but this may happen also on fast tele lenses like FA 50)
for wide angle lenses (from FA 31 to DA 15) I focus on tree branches at 15 meters with various adjustments
Regards

12-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just test all mine. Most of them are dead on including the Tamron and Sigma. Only one need more adjustment but at-5.
12-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
So far I've only adjusted focus on the DA 35 macro to a -2...
The DA*50-135 seems to be right on, though it back focused a bit on the K7...
the 12-24 looked pretty good - it front focused with both the K20 and K7.
I can't figure out the 77 - focus charts looked good but outside it's inconsistent.
Using Tim Jackson's chart version 2.00 with the K-5, I got -6 for the DA 35 Ltd, -1 for the DA 55-300 at 260mm, and like you, found the 12-24 right on the button at 19mm. My Tamron 90 macro was -5.

I was very pleased how quickly all four lenses locked into focus, much faster than the K-7, and no hunting. Just a note: I have the focus set to center spot.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I hate shooting focus charts, if the chart has lines too near the center, the camera can focus on the wrong spot. If you don't have the chart perfectly straight to the camera you can get strange results.
So true, you do need to be precise unless you enjoy wasting a whole lot of time. Suggestion: set the aperture to the widest the lens will allow, thus making the depth of field as short as possible and making out-of-focus areas stand out.
01-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I just got a LensAlign MkII to help with my focus adjustments. My K-5 needed a global +2 correction to get all my lenses calibrated with this chart. This was done at both natural and artificial light. The LensAlign has a bullseye (the red thing near the center) that is only visible when the camera is properly parallel with the main target.

- Jason

Last edited by inferno10; 01-03-2011 at 09:49 PM.
01-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Does lens calibrations get saved into the user mode? Could be used for the FF issue in low light.
01-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Lens calibration are save for each lens in the K-5. You do not need to use User mode
01-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You can download a chart in pdf form for free here:

Focus Chart
01-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Inferno, how well does the LensAlign work?

I've always been a little suspicious of charts (they are usually a little "busy" and I find shooting on an angle kind of odd).

Pat
01-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Inferno, how well does the LensAlign work?

I've always been a little suspicious of charts (they are usually a little "busy" and I find shooting on an angle kind of odd).

Pat
I just use one of these ....