Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #16

I had the same problem with my K5 and had to send it in for a repair. I found it useless, because you never knew when it worked or not.

Luckily, the local Pentax service had the part (front dial) in stock, so it only took me one day to get it fixed.

03-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Huolto on keksitty.
03-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had this problem occur with My pentax K-7, I had it sent to be serviced and I haven't had a problem with it since.
03-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My rear e-dial has the same problem from day one. Just that it was weird at first, but now it's useless. And today the other dial screwed up too! It only sets manual, video or Aperture priority. If there's no known and easy solution I'll have to mail it to the USA.

08-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
Forum Member

I've got the same problem with my K-5. It used to work fine, but then it suddenly started doing that. Really annoying, but I just got a job and have been not really using the camera... better send it back before the warranty is up though, bleh.
08-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #21

Add me to the club. Pre-ordered my K-5 via Amazon back in September & haven't had a problem until last week when my front e-Dial started jumping values. Really don't want to lose the time sending it in to CRIS for the warranty repair but I'm going to have to.
08-23-2011, 04:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
I am still experiencing problems with the front e-dial on my K5. In M mode which I shoot in 95% of the time it requires a lot of swearing and rolling back and forth of the front e-dial to get shutter speed where I need it. Are others having this problem? I am thinking of contacting Pentax Service to send it in but I'm reluctant to be without the camera for who-knows-how-many-weeks.
With my K20D and over two years and 47,000 shutter activations latter my rear edial started the same behavior. It was not too bad. You could get to where you wanted but after about every 4 turns to the left (left only) it would jump up or not move the number. I tried turning the heck out if it and this did not help. I must say It did help with my battery grip. I don't use those dials much at all and sometimes they don't respond. Turning them has always brought them back.

Because I literally turn that dial almost daily I don't see it as a negative. Its a mechanical part. The part is two round pieces, grease, spring and ball bearing and one (or two?) orings for weather sealing mounted to a shaft and box mounted to a flexible PCB board. In my case they had to replace (at my request) the whole (small flexible) PCB board. I did not want any quick fixes. It was under warranty as I had the 3 year warranty. Being weather sealed don't try to spray anything into it to clean it as some have suggested before (not now).

Now that I know they do wear down I am going to use the rear exposure +/- button and top green button to zoom into and out of pics. Those buttons will also zoom the pic in K20Ds I don't know if it will on the K-7 or K-5. Or maybe not worry. After 50,000 more clicks it will probably be time for some service again or not even in use but as a backup.

BTW anytime CRIS gets a Pentax dSLR for service they clean and bring it back to manufactors specs. In my case they also cleaned the aperture system/parts and adjusted AF. I did not know AF needed adjusting but they sure adjusted it as I could set all my lens back to autofine tune 0 but for one which needed +5. The kit lens also performed much better, go figure... Before all but one needed some adustments with AF fine tuning.

CRIS is good and I would not hesitate to send it to them. In the end its worth it. I know the wait is hard they had it 15 business days not including shipping, send it in!

Last edited by jamesm007; 08-23-2011 at 04:51 AM.