Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We've got quite a few serials in the database, so it think that it will shortly be possible to create a chart that links serial numbers with dates.

Pentax K-5 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Make sure you add your number!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
no ..im practising my germany ... ..
your text is good...very good... just kind little bit long to understand, i just make it simple ... a little bit
The original translation was much better. You introduced quite a bit of confusion.

Esp., I should highlight the detail that the German text says cameras up to and including week 49 are affected. Photome displays the production date.

German business week 50 started 2010, December 13. So, any K-5 produced Dec 12 or earlier may be affected.

Moreover, if the explaination given is correct, what we see is condensed material on the inner side of the cover glass. Material which did not entirely evapourate before the sensor package was sealed. Therefore, I would recommend to run a heat stress test (video) and let cool down before declaring the sensor clean.
01-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well I am on camera number 5 which is OK out of the box. Manufactured Dec 3rd 2010. So I guess I need to do a whole load of video over the next 30 days when my return will run out.

I will stress this camera heat wise and see what happens. At present zero stains.
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Well I am on camera number 5 which is OK out of the box. Manufactured Dec 3rd 2010. So I guess I need to do a whole load of video over the next 30 days when my return will run out.

I will stress this camera heat wise and see what happens. At present zero stains.
I think a single heat/condense cycle should be more than enough to look at this.

01-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The original post in German DFN was appended to explain that according to Pentax in Hamburg, the pause on Amazon.de sales of K-5 is not related to technical problems with the product.
01-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The original translation was much better. You introduced quite a bit of confusion.

Esp., I should highlight the detail that the German text says cameras up to and including week 49 are affected. Photome displays the production date.

German business week 50 started 2010, December 13. So, any K-5 produced Dec 12 or earlier may be affected.

Moreover, if the explaination given is correct, what we see is condensed material on the inner side of the cover glass. Material which did not entirely evapourate before the sensor package was sealed. Therefore, I would recommend to run a heat stress test (video) and let cool down before declaring the sensor clean.
aha ..sorry ..

ich bin auslaender falk , im not germany like you ...

all im say is, at the original translate in the first thread there is a flaw , and im just try to make it simple ... in the eye of understanding from a stranger ...

the explanation is correct ... and it will needs further konkret move from Pentax,
and i think they will deal with it... nicely....

frohes Neujahr...
01-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Oh my! I just re-tested my camera, as I have used the video mode in late December for about 15 minutes of recording. My k-5 has developed new stains.

Old stains top right, new ones bottom left

I don't know if it has any effect, but I have also used the camera in cold weather. I think the lowest recorded internal temperature was 6°C.

01-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

@PhilippeG: That volatile stuff (solvent?) apparently evaporates when the sensor gets warm and leaves a residue = stain(s). It seems that as long as this is in liquid form (drops?) it is practically invisible. The evaporation would occur eventually anyway, so I suppose discovering these is the next best thing to not having the problem.
01-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Your's is first conculsive proof stains appear over time

Your's is first conculsive proof stains can/may/will appear over time

I suppose Pentax in Germany is publically responding to Amazon in Germany pulling Pentax K-5 off their sales site ?

Maybe if Amazon in USA pulled Pentax K-5 off their sales site we'd get to read something official from Pentax USA too ?

This is very bad news

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
Oh my! I just re-tested my camera, as I have used the video mode in late December for about 15 minutes of recording. My k-5 has developed new stains.

Old stains top right, new ones bottom left

I don't know if it has any effect, but I have also used the camera in cold weather. I think the lowest recorded internal temperature was 6°C.
01-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #25
Pentaxian

"Customers have informed us that the article is different from the description on the website."
A missing/incorrect item? A French manual (instead of a German one)? I'm quite sure the stains are not the reason.
01-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I think a single heat/condense cycle should be more than enough to look at this.
Thanks Falk.

I did a 16 minute video then let the camera cool down. No spots in view at all. So do you think I will be ok with camera no5?
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #27

Original Poster
The original post in German DFN was appended to explain that according to Pentax in Hamburg, the pause on Amazon.de sales of K-5 is not related to technical problems with the product.
I did not include this statement, because I was (and still am) not sure if this was still an information from Pentax, Germany or if user 'tzcobretti' got this information from another source.

In addition, user "Arkos" from the german DSLR forum got information that Amazonīs sale pause is related to technical problems.
01-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

I suppose Pentax in Germany is publically responding to Amazon in Germany pulling Pentax K-5 off their sales site ?

Pentax Germany did not publish any official statements related to the sensor stains problem, nor to any other problems.

We are just fed with insider information and hope that they are true :-)
01-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The more I think about it the more certain I am that Pentax will never publish anything "officially" like a recall campaign. If they do the rush will be immense. Up to 100.000 cameras may be affected. Let sleeping dogs lie. Those that come forward will get a replacement but that's about it.
01-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I do not believe the production of100,000 K-5, serial# is not related to the K-5 but to all DSLR cameras Pentax is making including , K-7,K-R, K-X and 645D.