Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 turnaround

Hey guys,
I am a happy K-5 owner and it has helped me produce some amazing photos so far. For a couple of examples check out my stuff in the post below.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/123731-no-more-tests-jus...ml#post1323234

That being said, I have just realized that I have a pretty big single stain spot in the middle of my sensor (there is dust everywhere, which comes and goes with cleaning and is true for every sensor, but the dark spot in the center with a halo will not clean and is quite visible in many shots even down to f8). It's really not the end of the world, as, when it is noticeable, it is easily clone-able, but I still want a virgin sensor eventually.

blue sky, 300mm, f32, Bow highlights crop.

My question is, how long are people averaging on warranty repairs for stains? I just called pentax and essentially they will email me a shipping label and then I send it they fix/replace it and then I get it back. The ETA from them is 3-4 weeks. I need the camera to shoot a couple basketball games (low light, speed, focus that my K10 or D90 can't do) in the next few weeks, for paid gigs. Sooo, I want to take a survey of how long it's taking to get bodies back from pentax. I already sent a camera back to the pentax online store for a faulty flash, and they were so kind that they sent me a body and only had me return mine once I got the replacement. The problem is that it has exceeded the 2 week return policy to send it back to the online store, and in addition the people at pentax assure me that if I send it to them (warranty)I will get back a stain free body (if I exchange it, I may just get another stained sensor).

I live in Denver, so I'm pretty close to the repair facility in AZ, but let me know thoughts, and ideas.

The other thing to consider is that the 1 year warranty extends from the date of return. So I have no problem waiting for these issues to be sorted out over the next month or so, then returning it. That way my warranty would actually be extended from my date of purchase by the amount of time I wait, if that makes sense.

-Alex

01-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Rin
Forum Member

it really looks like dust though, i bet it is easily cleaned with a sensor swab like cleaning method.
01-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rin Quote
it really looks like dust though, i bet it is easily cleaned with a sensor swab like cleaning method.
No, that lower left one is definitely a stain, and a mature one at that (the center dark portion has expanded). That halo around it is very distinctive. The thing on the bottom of the frame is what dust should look like.

I just sent my K-5 in yesterday, shipping paid by Pentax (estimated to arrive there on Friday). They say the standard repair time is 15-20 business days upon receipt, but apparently what Pentax is doing is simply replacing them with new bodies as reassembling the sensor assembly is more than just a simple repair job. Hopefully this means that the return time is going to be much shorter, unless there's a huge queue for replacements (very possible). We'll see how long it really takes.
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
No, that lower left one is definitely a stain, and a mature one at that (the center dark portion has expanded). That halo around it is very distinctive. The thing on the bottom of the frame is what dust should look like.
Ya, I'm pretty sure that one is a stain too, tried everything to clean it. It is big, perfectly round and has it has a distinct halo.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I just sent my K-5 in yesterday, shipping paid by Pentax (estimated to arrive there on Friday). They say the standard repair time is 15-20 business days upon receipt, but apparently what Pentax is doing is simply replacing them with new bodies as reassembling the sensor assembly is more than just a simple repair job. Hopefully this means that the return time is going to be much shorter, unless there's a huge queue for replacements (very possible). We'll see how long it really takes

I'll definitely be sending it back at some point soon, but keep me updated, as I would be very curious about your experience and the time it taks for you to get a new body back.

01-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I had exactly the same sort of stain show up on my sensor about 3 weeks after discovering the more typical 'string of pearls'. Because it appeared only recently, my first guess was dust. But it would not budge even after using the blower. I have never had a problem blowing dust off my K10D or K20D. And this one has the distinctive halo of the stain issue. So, I am now concerned about the potential for my replacement (when it comes) to develop a stain eventually too. Wait and see, I guess. But I will give it a stress test: lots of live view and video.