Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #1

Issues of K-5's viewfinder

I 've just brought my lovely K-5 with me in the holiday to New Zealand. And the clean blue sky there has reveal two problems regarding the viewfinder.

First is that I've notice my k-5 viewfinder is not as bright as the one on my previous K100 or maybe I should say the viewfinder on my k-5 looks a bit more yellowish than the K100.
Second is that other than the circle lines design to aid focus on my k-5 viewfinder there are also some really fine tiny black particles spreading evenly all over the whole viewfinder. I don't think they are dust, cause they are alot smaller, but they've made the whole screen like matt finish and not very clear.Seeing through the viewfinder feels like seeing through some sort of fog.

Other than these two things, the K-5 is really a good camera. And I hope someone can solve my problem before I go to the service, thanks!

01-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to ask, but have you adjusted the diopter to your eye?
01-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, I did. The viewfinder is clear enough for me to focus using manuel lens. It's just it seems like there are something on the surfaceof the screen. I don't know whether I can or I should try to clean the screen inside the camera myself or should let the professional to do it? I've tried the air blower and it doesn't work.
01-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
it is a matt focus screen... i suggest looking through a 2nd K-5 to see if its normal or if you have some issue.

also the faster the glass the brighter the viewfinder. (to f2.8 i think.)

01-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

On both my K-5 and K-x, it has what the OP describes in the viewfinder: graininess all over the screen. It is very clearly visible against a uniformly bright surface, stopped down to f/8 or more (use optical preview), but generally hard to see wide open. You can also see a sort of "fingerprint" type pattern in the corners.

As it is on both of my cameras and look more or less the same (clearly not random), I assume that the focusing screens are supposed to look like that.

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-08-2011 at 02:25 AM.
01-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
On both my K-5 and K-x, it has what the OP describes in the viewfinder: graininess all over the screen. It is very clearly visible against a uniformly bright surface, stopped down to f/8 or more (use optical preview), but generally hard to see wide open. You can also see a sort of "fingerprint" type pattern in the corners.

As it is on both of my cameras and look more or less the same (clearly not random), I assume that the focusing screens are supposed to look like that.
Yes, the graininess and the "fingerprint " on the screen are the issues I am talking about. Since I am not the only one have these problems, I guess I have to cope with this annoying feature. It gets really obvious when you point to a bright sky. And I end up having one dust stuck on the screen after trying to blow it off.
01-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This grain makes it easier to focus manually.

01-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seigui Quote
Yes, the graininess and the "fingerprint " on the screen are the issues I am talking about. Since I am not the only one have these problems, I guess I have to cope with this annoying feature. It gets really obvious when you point to a bright sky. And I end up having one dust stuck on the screen after trying to blow it off.
Yes well, consider that if your viewfinder didn't have that "annoying feature", it wouldn't work. It's part of shat makes and SLR and SLR.
01-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Kamera kannattaa pitää muovi hupussa väliajat jos on pölyongelmia. Vähenee ongelmat huomattavasti.
01-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Kamera kannattaa pitää muovi hupussa väliajat jos on pölyongelmia. Vähenee ongelmat huomattavasti.
That did not come out too well in the translation.
I agree that keeping a camera in a plastic bag will reduce the chance of dust getting in it. But then, what is the point of having a weather and dust "proof "camera.

Like everyone else said, the lines are normal.