Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mac Users Warning on Firmware Update 1.02

I just updated to firmware 1.02 on my K-5 and had some trouble.

I followed the directions but kept getting a memory card error when I tried to start up the camera with the .bin file on the memory card.

I was about to post here looking for help when I noticed the file name.

FWDC209B.BIN
It matched the name in the instructions but my Mac unzipped the file in all caps.

So I decided to try changing it to as it appears in the instructions.
fwdc209b.bin

Then it worked fine.

Hope this helps someone else.

be well,
joe

01-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I ran the upgrade with the bin file in caps on my Mac and didn't have any issues. Did you format the card in the camera before copying the file?
01-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes the card was freshly formatted.

I guess I could have somehow done it wrong 5 or 6 times and then got lucky but it didn't seam that way.
01-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgraded mine with all CAPS and there wasn't a problem.

01-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Olen päivittänyt firmware 1.02 minun K-5 , pelasi ihan oikein minun Mac.
01-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Closed Account

Interesting. I downloaded 1.02 and I since have no motor movement on my DA*16-50 - dead. I do have focus indication via the red AF indicator(s) only when I focus manually or via quick focus - only.
I was going to clean all contacts and reset all and reload before I decided to check this forum.
Any thoughts?
01-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
Interesting. I downloaded 1.02 and I since have no motor movement on my DA*16-50 - dead. I do have focus indication via the red AF indicator(s) only when I focus manually or via quick focus - only.
I was going to clean all contacts and reset all and reload before I decided to check this forum.
Any thoughts?
my DA* 16-50 after firmware update is performing the same as before update. SCM motor may have gone (I had to have mine repaired/replaced). I think this is coincidence with update.

Last edited by jrforman; 01-08-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: error
01-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the vfat filesystem (used on your memory card, and, sadly, on most memory cards) is case insensitive for filenames, if i'm not mistaken (actually, it's the systems that use it that are usually case insensitive, not the fs itself). that is, all caps or not makes no difference. i expect this was just a coincidence.
01-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Updates mine via Mac now issues
01-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I received my K5 earlier this week and after I charged the battery the first thing I did was upgrade the firmware. I use a mac and the upgrade went fine. I haven't had any issues thus far.
01-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #11

No issues here either after updating via the mac.
01-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
FWDC209B.BIN
It matched the name in the instructions but my Mac unzipped the file in all caps.

So I decided to try changing it to as it appears in the instructions.
fwdc209b.bin

Then it worked fine.
Filename's case is not affecting because FAT32 is case insensitive file system.
What it might have effected - MFT. Some index was updated and corrected previous error which occured while coping
01-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Minun MAC ja K-5 pelaa hienosti ei pienintäkään häiriöö eikä vikaa.
01-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

No problem with the download on my Mac, now or in the past with all my Pentax cameras.

OP rather than being all alarmist with such a thread title, perhaps you should consider the software that you used to unzip the downloaded file, or your computer or SD card could be the cause of your issue. Your thread title gives the impression that the software download for Mac is problematic when it isn't so at all.
01-16-2011, 04:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not problematic here, either.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
No problem with the download on my Mac, now or in the past with all my Pentax cameras.

OP rather than being all alarmist with such a thread title, perhaps you should consider the software that you used to unzip the downloaded file, or your computer or SD card could be the cause of your issue. Your thread title gives the impression that the software download for Mac is problematic when it isn't so at all.
Yes, I agree - the thread title was alarmist, but we do get similarly ill-chosen words on this forum from time to time, and some deliberately provocative (though I doubt this was the case here). Some Windows users would probably have thought "Typical! You can't trust Macs" and moved on, ignorant of the reality and ready to spread the bad word - the same thing as when people on this forum are hyper-critical of Pentax products, and it gets noticed by others.

My upgrade on a Mac went smoothly, even though I didn't bother formatting the card beforehand (and I've never bothered on the *istD or K20D, either).