Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-5 sales job

I have a friend coming to Michigan who wants to go back to UK with new store bought canon 7D or a nikon 7000.
They are about $1600-$1700 body only
It is for his son who is just starting a photography career in UK with a scholarship.
I already explained the possible warranty issues.
What are the basic pros and cons of a k-5 compared to these?

01-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
What are the basic pros and cons of a k-5 compared to...?
Seems like a question that should be directed to the son. It's his career and life so his answer should prevail... eh?

Cheers... M
01-09-2011, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

For the basic pros and cons, you can read the manufacturer's specs and go from there. Figure out which are important to the son, and which really make a difference.

Of course, you should also compare the lenses you want, as that might be the bigger difference.
01-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Forum Member

Unfortunately the most important factor will be how much the young man needs approval by his peer group, and/or needs something that makes him "feel" like a pro when it is seen by other people. The young are especially susceptible to this. If he follows the usual human behaviour pattern, the specs will be largely irrelevant. Generally people buy emotionally and then justify logically. By the time they have looked at the specs, they have already made a decision in their hearts, and all they are seeking is a justification. On that basis the K5 will not be a factor, however good it is. He would only like the K5 if he is one of those sturdy souls who prefers not to run with the pack (often the case with Pentax users).

The majority of people have a need for approval by their peer group, so most people still want Nikon or Canon even when - feature for feature - there isn't any advantage to it.

01-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Have to agree with Delgado - unless he is a strong minded individual then he will actually want to conform with his peers. In addition my daughter did a BSc in a UK university that included photography as a module - they used Canons & Nikons.

He should go with the 7D - great camera.
01-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
Delgado is 100% correct with his/her observation. On the other hand greatness often (or even only) is achieved by those who do not run with the pack and think differently. Also, if he has the same equipment as anybody else, the spirit of competition is almost impossible to awaken in him. But only you will know if his character is strong enough to be different.

Greetings
01-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
It is for his son who is just starting a photography career in UK with a scholarship.
If the son is really interested in a photography 'career' I cannot imagine that he would not have a camera brand that he already likes by now. I am sure he has talked about his 'dream camera'. It's best to ask the son or if it is to be a surprise ask his mother or girlfriend

01-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all.
When I was 19 I just had to buy an expensive new fast car.
It was a great lesson.
Now I drive 6 year old cars and all my pentax stuff was either bought 2nd hand or superseded.

Anyway I read that his camera choices are top line.
01-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Although I disagree with some of the comments regarding the desire to conform, it does seem to me that the young man wants a Nikon or a Canon, meaning that he will be disappointed with anything else, unless he personally takes the time to investigate the Pentax lineup and decides that it is right for him.

Rob
01-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
If the son is really interested in a photography 'career' I cannot imagine that he would not have a camera brand that he already likes by now. I am sure he has talked about his 'dream camera'. It's best to ask the son or if it is to be a surprise ask his mother or girlfriend
+1
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If son has no preference, then buy him any of the other brands.
Pentax is for people with a preference.