I do not believe this is a good review . The photo are not the best

He bring nothing new
01-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

He bring nothing new
What review are you reading? I see a lot of nice images in a variety of situations.

Sure, they're not studio shots under controlled lighting, but that can't always be expected. And besides, a reviewer can't sit around waiting for the perfect photo opportunity. I'm sure Huff has more equipment to test and write up.
01-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote

He bring nothing new
I do beg to differ. I believe that it is a very positive review and provided by an influential photographer. What more can a person say about the K5 that hasn't already been said? After a couple of dozen reviews the large majority of which have been very positive, Steve Huff has essentially come to the same conclusion as the other reviewers.

01-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He bring nothing new
The K-5/FA 43 Ltd Images look OK to me. Perhaps your monitor needs to be calibrated.

As to "nothing new"... like many other reviewers, he considers the K-5 the best Pentax and best APS-C sensor based DSLR produced to date, so I guess you are right... in a back-handed complimentary way.

Cheers... M
01-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I thought it was a good review, just not a technical one (not a bad thing IMHO as 90% + of the population glasses over when you mention technical aspects)
Actually It's the only review I've seen where the reviewer said no pros/cpns because he just couldn't come up with a con. You'd be hard pressed to see another revies on his site where he says that
Even the M9 which seems to be his favourite camera had a number of cons. as did the S2
Given he has admitted to preferring Leica it's surprising to see the only camera he couldn't find fault with was the k5.
I like his reviews as they take the camera into the real world rather than focus entirely on the technical, which aside from being dry to read tells me nothing about subjective like how a camera is to shoot with. (as he is a leica fan and i aspire to winning the lottery and owning one myself one day his preferences hold sway with me)
01-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

He bring nothing new
I can see what you're saying here. He doesn't necessarily back up a lot of his opinions, and I think he could have taken even more time to try out the camera in different situations.

However, I think there are two styles of camera reviews -- one is quantitative and based in testing, and the other is qualitative and based in real world use and subjective feel. I think a qualitative review like this from Huff is a good balance to the more data driven reviews of say a Dpreview. It's like an Amazon.com review with a little more gravitas.

As an interesting side note, while Pentax cameras have traditionally done better in qualitative reviews than quantitative ones, the K-5, K-r and the K-x are seemingly the first cameras that have done well in both categories. I hope they keep it up.

01-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve Huff is great at conveying, and inspiring, enthusiasm for photography. The review of the K-5 is no exception. It's obviously a good review in the sense of being favorable, but also, I think, in the sense of being informative and illuminating. Of course a lot of what he has to say about what it's like to use a K-5 is back in his K 7 review, which was a big part of what led me to buying my K-7.
01-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I liked the review. I feel like technical aspects of a given camera tend to be covered ad nauseum by sites like DP Review, to the point where tiny differences in specs are the difference between a decent score and a low score. On the other hand, the subjective aspects of a given camera, how it shoots, how enjoyable it is to take a long, whether or not you would take it along with you, due to size, etc are seldom covered, precisely because they are subjective.

This is a photographer's review. It doesn't spend a lot of time comparing iso 6400s, but rather shows photos in a variety of real life situations. Over all, he liked the camera, so it is a positive review, whether or not you appreciate his approach.
01-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #10

Even though i am completely partial to Pentax, this review did not please me. It sounded more of a guy with a new toy he fancies and consequently overly excited about it... Besides i agree with posters before that said the pictures were not that great.

I would rather see good reviews from more sober experts or at least enthusiastic reviewers that add a bit more substance to his opinions other than "GREAT!" and stuff like that. Otherwise it looks only as a fanboy wannabe page.
01-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My screen is calibrated. I saw a lot better photo in the post here that in his review

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/123731-no-more-tests-just-pictures.html

PS I have a K-5 and I am very happy but this review bring nothing
01-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
Banned

I like his style so this is a nice read to me.

Well he makes pictures in singleshot and said that most of the pics where taken as Jpg strait out of the K-5. So that is why he probably didn't find any cons.

To me the big con is the slow PRIME II processor, but then again when making single shots it isn't a problem.
01-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I usually like Huff's stuff, and am a big fan of real world reviews, but this one sounded a bit rushed, a bit forced, a bit too cloying. Sounded like Ken Rockwell...
01-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not a good review?

He bring nothing new
Have you read the review? He could hardly have been more positive if he said that he was so in love with the K-5 that he was going to sleep with it.
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Have you read the review? He could hardly have been more positive if he said that he was so in love with the K-5 that he was going to sleep with it.
I have nothing againt the review and I am happy about what is said about the K-5 but is review is weak