Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

Pentax 280AF and K5

Hi

I am new here and hav searched through existing posts but still have a query.

I have bought a K5, first DSLR, traded in my old LX and a few other bits. I have a Pentax 280 AF flashgun which worked with my old film cameras, will this work with the K5. Local camera shop says no, however Pentax support say it will, going back to shop he still advises not to use it.
Can anybody help please is it safe to use or not?

01-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi, it's should be safe to use (others have used this on a k20d and probably others as well) , it just won't meter automatically as it isn't a pttl flash (you'll have to use it manually, although I imagine you're used to that anyways).

Cheers.
01-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It Should Work Fine

The 280 flash should work just fine but you will not have any TTL/PTTL modes.

The 280 was one of the better older Pentax flash units, as it has bounce and swivel and is relatively compact and has reasonable power.

You might find that using it in the auto mode will work better than PTTL in many situations

This is a great page that has lots of information about Pentax flashes, but most important is the part about "Smart Auto" on Pentax bodies:

jr-worldwi.de: Photography: Technic

If you are concerned about the trigger voltage, you can measure that with a volt meter between the center pin and the ground connection when the flash is fully charged. I do not recall seeing an official statement from Pentax on the safe trigger voltage range for Pentax cameras, but I think that the consensus is to stay under 30 volts or so.

Ray
01-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a 280 on my k-7 as my main flash. It's great. The auto settings are as good as any TTL I've used.

The guy at the store just wants you to spend more money.

01-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes; it's safe. All the Pentax flashes have a definitely safe trigger voltage (it's the third party ones you have to check). You can use it in auto or manual mode. While I don't have the 280, on my old flash I use the auto modes and have had great success with them (the best part is that auto works perfectly with the older, non A-mode, lenses, unlike PTTL).
01-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plenty of threads about the AF280.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91846-k-x-af280t-how-use.html