Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't use flash on rear curtain?

Hi, I'm having a problem. I can't select either flash on rear curtain or wireless flash, not in any mode. I tried going through the menus to see if I find anything that would conflict with it but I didn't.

Am I missing something here? Firmware 1.02 in camera.

01-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

what flash are you using?
01-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just as important, What lens are you using? What Mode are you using on your camera? Pentax disables those features with M type lenses and in some of the Auto shooting modes as well (like Green Mode).

Trailing curtain Does work on the K5 (external flash)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/jeffjs-albums-12-days-christmas-p...them-toys.html

Last edited by JeffJS; 01-20-2011 at 01:53 PM.
01-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
what flash are you using?
The K-5s own flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Just as important, What lens are you using? What Mode are you using on your camera? Pentax disables those features with M type lenses and in some of the Auto shooting modes as well (like Green Mode).

Trailing curtain Does work on the K5 (external flash)

K5JS1960 mDA1224f4 12days Dec18 1small I don't know how many different ways I can preset my 2 foot tall Christmas tree but I'm sure I'll find another before the end of the game. In the meantime, another train shot from me. Done with a trailing curtai

Using K series manual lenses i M mode. I've checked the manual (page 184) where it said that trailing flash doesn't work in green mode, X and movie mode. All other should work.

01-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
The K-5s own flash.

Using K series manual lenses i M mode. I've checked the manual (page 184) where it said that trailing flash doesn't work in green mode, X and movie mode. All other should work.
As far as the camera is concerned, K series = M series.

01-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

without the electrical contacts in the lens to tell the camera about the aperture and focal length, the flash cannot use ttl data to automatically adjust the power. Therefore, with K or M lenses, the pop up flash just blasts at full power at front curtain. Not sure what you were expecting with respect to wireless if you are only using the pop up...
01-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
As far as the camera is concerned, K series = M series.

Ah sorry, I was in a hurry when I read your last post and didn't catch that "as well" part. Thought it was the the combination of manual lenses and those modes.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
without the electrical contacts in the lens to tell the camera about the aperture and focal length, the flash cannot use ttl data to automatically adjust the power. Therefore, with K or M lenses, the pop up flash just blasts at full power at front curtain. Not sure what you were expecting with respect to wireless if you are only using the pop up...
But adjusting the power of the flash automatically is in my opinion irrelevant to it firing at the rear curtain. The power can be set manually right? Or is the +/- just some adjustment of an automatic value? Anyway, if it cannot use ttl and thus fires at full power, why should it not be possible to fire at full power at the rear curtain? If it is only the lack of electrical connections then this is a firmware problem that can, but probably won't, be fixed in future firmware updates. It's just a matter of when the flash should fire, not if it fires at the right level.

Regarding the wireless mode, I am very aware that the pop-up flash is situated on top of the camera and that the two are actually physically connected. But I ask because I cannot select wireless mode, regardless of the flash I would be using.