Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #16
Forum Member

same here. happened twice so far.

01-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #17
Inactive Account

My K-5 froze yesterday-HI cont. shooting AF-C..battery almost full..very cold winds and temperatures around.

..well didn't really worry about it..full power down and power up (by removing the battery)..actually that is exactly the same what we do on modern airliners too..that is the first thing we do during trouble-shooting and before calling for the maintanence...well we don't remove the battery but de-energize the whole with a complete power down and up...so I'm not surprised at all that a camera with all those bells and whistles (which I never really use) does the same and needs the same

Andras
01-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
so I'm not surprised at all that a camera with all those bells and whistles (which I never really use) does the same and needs the same
Are you saying that all high end cameras have this problem? How often would be too often? I have used the AF-C 3 weeks in a row for sports and it has frozen everytime. 4 times over a single basketball game is too much. Well this last week it only froze twice...Maybe it is improving!! This weekend I will try again with the new firmware and a faster card.
01-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, I've just read that with 1.02 still freezes.
He was in a session using Live View with long exposure time.

01-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Are you saying that all high end cameras have this problem? How often would be too often? I have used the AF-C 3 weeks in a row for sports and it has frozen everytime. 4 times over a single basketball game is too much. Well this last week it only froze twice...Maybe it is improving!! This weekend I will try again with the new firmware and a faster card.

well this is it...nowadays all these gadgets are over-complicated..who needs HD video in a DSLR camera when there are numerous HD cameras available in the market much better suited for that task..(just for instance)

...so I agree with You!

Andras
01-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

well this is it...nowadays all these gadgets are over-complicated..who needs HD video in a DSLR camera when there are numerous HD cameras available in the market much better suited for that task..(just for instance)

...so I agree with You!

Andras
there are lot's of HD video cams on the market, but ones with interchangeable lenses and larger sensors are another story. This is why SLR's are taking off as film-making tools. It really started with the canon 5d (the first one used to shoot an entire HD tv episode - house i think)
Really for a Doc film maker it's a killer option, though the Pentax is currently the weakest I imagine the k5 replacement will address the frame rate issues and manual controls to stay competitive. Personally I could take or leave the video, but I haven't had the k7 that long either. I may end up using it for that a fair bit you never know ( I have shot stills for some docs, but the only SLR vid I've shot was some live music for coverage last year at NXNE with a Kx)

I don't think the higher end market is big enough to isolate the market segment, and I'm pretty certain including the video option is pretty low cost in the scheme of things so it's wouldn't affect the price much
01-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.well we don't remove the battery but de-energize the whole with a complete power down and up..
So it is not turbulence or micro burst`s that cause those severe losses in altitude. It`s the damn pilot cycling power. Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.
01-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jv.pentax Quote
Ok, I've been searching in the user manual and found this (page 354):

"Troubleshooting:

In rare cases the camera may not operate correctly due to static
electricity. This can be remedied by taking the battery out and
putting it back again [...]
"
Well, do you think this might be the cause?
I don't think so.
What they really mean is "sometimes the camera will crash and will need a cold reboot"

01-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frattofoto Quote
I had mine only lockup once so far. I was continuous shooting and the AA batteries in my grip were low.
Me too!!! Just the other day. K-5 froze with grip and AA's. Removed grip and all was well. AA's were pretty well used up, so it's probably a power issue.
01-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #25

This sounds to me like the sensor is getting hot. The camera is programmed to shut down if it gets too hot to save damage. Perhaps 16.2Mp is a bridge too far? In a smallish body, there is less air to absorb the heat. I don't know how big, if at all, is the heat sink for the sensor???
01-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I doubt it has anything to do with a hot sensor as all of my crashes/freezes happened at totally random times, not always when shooting pics either (sometimes after turning the camera on and navigating thru menus)

My personal opinion (and of course it's only an opinion!) is that it's nothing more than sloppy programming simply randomly crashing on us (blue screen of death anyone?).

The funny thing is that I've had a K110d, a K100d and a K20d for years and not one of them has EVER frozen or crashed on me.

Pat
01-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Monobod Quote
This sounds to me like the sensor is getting hot. The camera is programmed to shut down if it gets too hot to save damage. Perhaps 16.2Mp is a bridge too far? In a smallish body, there is less air to absorb the heat. I don't know how big, if at all, is the heat sink for the sensor???
If this is the case then it is a manufacturing flaw? But then we should be getting more reports. On the other hand very few people shoot fast/mutliple pictures on AF-C. I never did until I got the k5 and I have used it for basketball games with this problem.

Again if the camera is shutting down when the sensor is getting hot and I keep 'rebooting' the camera by removing the battery and putting it back in, this would defeat the purpose and damage the sensor? I would think that if this were the issue, one would see this with using the video rather than fast shooting? Hmm...Guess what? I have never even bothered to take a video with the k5. Guess I better try that too!
01-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Similar issues were mentioned before in a couple of threads. Here is one of them

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/120763-k-5-battery-probl...r-problem.html
01-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I doubt it has anything to do with a hot sensor as all of my crashes/freezes happened at totally random times, not always when shooting pics either (sometimes after turning the camera on and navigating thru menus)

My personal opinion (and of course it's only an opinion!) is that it's nothing more than sloppy programming simply randomly crashing on us (blue screen of death anyone?).

The funny thing is that I've had a K110d, a K100d and a K20d for years and not one of them has EVER frozen or crashed on me.

Pat

I agree-my camera froze just after taking let's say 20 pics in AF-C HI cont shooting-and it was freezing cold outside.

Andras
01-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hardware of Software issue?

I have seen this behavior only with AF-C Hi cont shooting. Has anyone had this issue with regular shooting. [But then I have not tried AF-C Lo].

Can someone clarify if this is a hardware or software issue? This makes a big deal because if it is hardware the camera needs to be sent for repair...