Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

Heat : Live View vs HDMI

The K-5 manual mentions heat build-up when using Live View but doesn't mention any such problems when using HDMI.

Is the Live View heat generated by the LCD screen? If so, why isn't there heat build-up during normal operation when the LCD is on constantly for one purpose or another?

If the heat is from the processor (my assumption), I would think that HDMI mode would be the same since the processor (in HDMI mode) is in continuos operation the same as Live View.

I am planning some studio sessions and wondering if HDMI would eliminate heat problems during long sessions?

Thanks,

ajoe

01-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good question! Like you, I think any heat generated would be by the processor and not the screen itself. Kind of like computers in general - my flat panel gives off nearly no heat, while the processor gets very warm.

BTW: Welcome to the site!
01-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tom.

Perhaps they don't mention HDMI heat build-up because they didn't think it would used that way:

"You can connect the camera to a TV or other device with a video input terminal or HDMI terminal and play back images." -- from the K-5 manual.

Apparently they assumed people would use this feature for showing slide shows of recorded images.

But I have tested it and does work identically to Live View for image capture as well.

Unless someone has some hands-on experience, I may have to just try it and see.
01-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Apologies for answering myself, but I think I have found the answer:

I think the "Live View Warning" still applies, because you are using Live View to display to capture image. You are only changing the output device from LCD to HDMI.

Sorry for posting before researching this completely!

01-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Haven't looked at it, but my K-7 did get warm when I was using HDMI to look at pictures/movie on my TV. This must be from processor.
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(seems like I've answered this before) The purpose of the live view warning and subsequent shut-down of live view, is to protect the Sensor from overheating. The source of the heat is probably a combination of everything.