Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
A new one for me...

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

I am a bird photographer and it is my hobby and passion. Anyway I shoot with about 95% canon users and the rest Nikon. Canon with the 7d nikon with d300 or ds3 or something. Some mark 4's and 2's and 3's.. don't really know all.

I am located in S.E. Asia. I am the only one with Pentax cameras. And many time was asked why????? did i buy Pentax. My hobby my choice. Now every one just accepts it and we all get along.

Got my new K-5 last week and took it to a hot spot here in Thailand. And all of the usuals were there. One of the guys came up to greet me and looked down and saw my camera... And guess what???? First thing was. Is that the new k-5. I said yes. Then to my utter amazement he said. Yea we all have been reading about it. They asked me a few questions and shot a few shots with it and my 500mm sigma.
Then one of the canon 7d guys said. Well my 7d is very bad above ISO800. And all agreed that had the 7d. Then we did our usual shooting and talking about birds...

First time in my birding days has that happened. Made me feel pretty g.d. good actually..

01-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, my comrade who has a 7D looks at my K5 with some amount of envy. It's more what he wants in a camera than the 7D is in many respects.
01-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's more what he wants in a camera than the 7D is in many respects.
What are those things your comrade is looking for in a camera that the K-5 has and the 7D hasn't?

I'm genuinely interested in his thoughts.
01-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Mostly size and weight. He shoots a lot of HDR, and he likes the way the Pentax does autobracketing more than how his 7D does it, but as I've never handled his 7D to make use of that feature I don't know how the Pentax is better.
He likes the in body shake reduction as well, and is very impressed with the high ISO performance of the sensor.

01-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #5

Yeah, my comrade who has a 7D looks at my K5 with some amount of envy. It's more what he wants in a camera than the 7D is in many respects.
Did you tell him about the "brutal" amounts of mirror slap on the K-5? Or is it just as bad on the 7D?
Why would you encourage your comrades envy if you believe the K-5 has "brutal" amounts of mirror slap?

Last edited by betaPhoto; 01-26-2011 at 10:46 AM.
01-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@BetaPhoto - Until I see some photos demonstrating mirror slap from you, I can only assume you are some canikon user in here to do some astroturfing. Put up or shut up, please.
01-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@BetaPhoto - Until I see some photos demonstrating mirror slap from you, I can only assume you are some canikon user in here to do some astroturfing. Put up or shut up, please.
Sorry I didn't include the original quote from Wheatfield. I too believe it is put up or shut up and that's what I'm asking Wheatfield to do. I also don't believe it's good enough to just show a little blur from mirror slap without showing the competitive class of cameras is better and has noticeably less.

...what is for me going to be a more pressing problem, which is the rather brutal amount of mirror slap that my K5 has.
(from post 300, page 20) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/128562-relevant-news-re-...ml#post1358557

01-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Mostly size and weight. He shoots a lot of HDR...
Thanks!
01-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #9

Wheatfield removed his accusation that mirror slap is a problem on the K-5 in this thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/130746-k-5-mirror-slap-causing-blur.html

It seems the blur was caused in bracketing for HDR. Go ahead 7D users and continue with some envy.
01-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
Wheatfield removed his accusation that mirror slap is a problem on the K-5 in this thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/130746-k-5-mirror-slap-causing-blur.html

It seems the blur was caused in bracketing for HDR. Go ahead 7D users and continue with some envy.
Actually, I don't know what caused that problem that day, and neither do you.
What I do know is that with the particular conditions I was shooting under that day, I was getting mirror induced blur in the 1/50-1/8 second range, peaking at ~1/15 second.
I also know that I wasn't able to reproduce the effect using the same equipment today in my living room.
The major difference between the two locations was about 25ºC of temperature.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 01-26-2011 at 02:01 PM.
01-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #11

QuoteQuote:
Actually, I don't know what caused that problem that day, and neither do you.
What I do know is that with the particular conditions I was shooting under that day, I was getting mirror induced blur in the 1/50-1/8 second range, peaking at ~1/15 second.
I also know that I wasn't able to reproduce the effect using the same equipment today in my living room.
The major difference between the two locations was about 25ºC of temperature.

Interestingly, I noticed mirror slap on several series' of pictures that I shot a few weeks ago.
I was shooting 5 exposure brackets with the intention of doing HDR. Everything I shot that day was pretty much ruined by shake.
However, today I tried to emulate the problem in my house and everything was sharp.
No explanation for that other than perhaps something I was doing that day (on an ongoing basis) was causing some grief.
I'll file this in the life's little mystery column and keep an eye out for it happening again and see if I can pin it down.
One thing that is a little odd, definitely a quirk in how Pentax decided to program the camera operation, it doesn't seem possible to combine mirror lock with auto bracketing.
I would love for someone to correct me on this.
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I don't have a K-5 yet, but do have the K-7. In autobracketing or HDR I found that even with using a remote I would have some movement. It seems to be the first photo in the series. I have been using Liveview to get the mirror locked up before bracketing or in-camera HDR and it seems to solve the little bit of shake with the first photo in a braket series.

Still it would really be great to have a true mirror lockup or at least be able to use the 2-sec timer with bracketing.
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Why not using LiveView on this?
LiveView would hold the mirror up and presumably solve the problem.
Others have also thought auto-bracketing was causing the mirror slap problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but I am sticking with this theory until shown otherwise!

I only want to clean this tread up in regards to this, and don't want a crazy hysteria to develop about mirror slap on the K-5.

Last edited by betaPhoto; 01-27-2011 at 02:19 AM.
01-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
...., that auto-bracketing was causing the mirror slap problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but I am sticking with this theory .....

I only want to clean this tread up in regards to this, and don't want a crazy hysteria to develop about mirror slap on the K-5.
Unfortunately, if auto bracketing is the problem, it won't be autobracketing, per se, it will be shooting in drive mode causing a resonance in the camera.
I think 3 people so far have had this pop up as something they've noticed, always around the same shutter speed.
I'm with you in hoping it doesn't become more than it is, which is what has happened with the low light AF hysteria.
For me, it's going to be something to be aware of, with the hopes that if I get a repeat, I'll be able to put a finger on exactly what set of circumstances is the culprit.
Hopefully, I won't get a repeat.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 01-26-2011 at 07:25 PM.