Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I've been a respected member of this forum for several years now, build a business using Pentax gear, and now stay in contact with friends on this forum on the "Off Camera Brand" section. I'm sorry to hear that my Nikon presence ruffles your feathers, but it won't be changing.

This specific post was about Pentax vrs Nikon. My thoughts are more than applicable.

Don't like my comments, then feel free to ignore them, or better yet - discuss them. Slinging mud just makes you look silly.

c[_]
Im sorry I've caused offence , but I think you'll find mine is not the only ruffled feather post in this thread regarding Nikonites posting in a pentax forum.

Im new here, so perhaps my opinion doesn't carry any of the weight that a seasoned member such as yourself carries...but from a new users perspective, your comments and SIG, take the essence of a thinly veiled Nikon Troll....

perhaps its time to re-evaluate your presence here, and determine if your here to help new or future Pentax users with their choices or questions { surely the purpose of a Pentax Forum} , or the turn them to Nikon and follow that path with you .

If I were to enter a Nikon forum and reply that he K5 is the better choice over a D7000, and displaying a sig of Pentax only gear....Id imagine a very warm welcome Id endure !!!

to be Honest it matters little the amount of time/post count. that any member has at this forum. what does matter Id presume, is the context of their posts, and if they are still supporting a Pentax forum/system...

by all means stay and support the site /members, but if you find that your posting continue a theme on how great Nikon is, Id say your tenure here is at a end ?

01-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
Thanks for the civil input gents.

I do understand that I would not be upgrading lenses but right now I am not exactly setting the world on fire with my glass collection (except for the 10-20).
I just picked up the 18-55WR which seems to review equally against the 18-105.
I have the 55-300 which I love but the 70-300 seems to stack up well.
I really want the better high ISO output of the k-5 that I have seen here as well as the huge increase in the DR.

The real catch is the sensor stain and FF issue which have not yet been fixed because I have asked that retailers inspect for stains before shipment and they will not and the FF is still an open issue.

The other difference that interests me is the focus accuracy and speed between the D7k and the k-5. Has anyone tried both with action such as skiers or snowboarders or football?

I also see on some reviews that the Nikon is WR but other review sites state that it is not.

I really am looking for help in making the right choice moving forward.....look on the bright side, if I change systems there will be less competition for legacy glass as well as a few more lenses going into the marketplace.
Im not too sure if a D7000 is as water proofed at he K5, ive yet to see a video of one under a running tap, as I have a K5

have you handled one yet?...if so how does it feel to you?, if not, its the first thing you should do.

Nikon is a great system. I doubt anyone here would disagree with that , and the D7000 is a great tool....just make sure you like the ergonomics of it, the usability etc..if you do...grab one...it will serve you well ...

.the K5 for me, fits all of the above better IMHO than the Nikon...you also need to move on from the stains issue as a reason not to consider a K5...its been sorted.....as for FF.....wait a while, see if the next Firmware corrects the K5, or reports that new batches of the K5 are FF free.....if it wasnt for these two concerns, I doubt you'd even have posted here, cause you'd already own a K5??
01-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Im not too sure if a D7000 is as water proofed at he K5, ive yet to see a video of one under a running tap, as I have a K5

have you handled one yet?...if so how does it feel to you?, if not, its the first thing you should do.

Nikon is a great system. I doubt anyone here would disagree with that , and the D7000 is a great tool....just make sure you like the ergonomics of it, the usability etc..if you do...grab one...it will serve you well ...

.the K5 for me, fits all of the above better IMHO than the Nikon...you also need to move on from the stains issue as a reason not to consider a K5...its been sorted.....as for FF.....wait a while, see if the next Firmware corrects the K5, or reports that new batches of the K5 are FF free.....if it wasnt for these two concerns, I doubt you'd even have posted here, cause you'd already own a K5??
I actually owned a k-5 for about 4 hours and it suffered from both stains and FF although the FF was not in very low light and was evident with the kit 18-55 although was only off by 8-10mm (about 3/8"). I just wish that I held it for a couple extra days to run it through its paces on AF but unfortunately I did not.

I am going to look at the d7k tomorrow..... hopefully. I really like the fact that we have some Nikonians and cannonites around as we are all first and foremost photographers and consumers and as such should be working together to find the best fit for each of us so that we can maximize our enjoyment and of this passion and contribution of our art to society.
01-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I think you'll find that the Nikon/Canon users opinions here, are as Jaded as mine { pentax user}
after all its human Nature to justify our choices/purchases if asked...

I feel youll get a better opinion at the a forum that is non brand specific, such as DPR...I asked there if the D7000 had any issues { it does}

...if a Pentax versus Nikon question emerges on a pentax site...what answer does anyone really expect !! ..it will be jaded in Pentax favour...if not Im at the wrong site ....

01-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a nikon D3s and a D200, I also shoot with a Canon 1DsMkIII and a Canon 1D MKIIn and in addition to this I have my leica digital rangefinder and my pentax DSLR cameras.

When I'm going out in the city, I like to have a small - compact but very capable camera in my hands, and nearly always it is the K-7 I put in my bag. I reserve the leica for those times when I know i'm going to run into some really-really low light, or need their stealth shutter mechanism.

But the pentax cameras are small, have ergonomics that are similar to Nikon, though unlike Nikon pentax has had far more experience making small cameras. In the film days if you had ever compared a Nikon F4 Vs the Pentax LX your choice would have been much simpler.

choose Nikon or Pentax they both do very well, Pentax does not have a large lens selection like Nikon does but I never understood why beginners were turned on by that. Pentax does have one advantage over Nikon as far as I see, Unique lenses: the SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL limited has no superiors when it comes to image quality. There are also some very interesting lenses from the film era that can be used, Nikon has this same ability but as i understand it on entry level models using older lenses is next to impossible.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-29-2011 at 10:58 PM.
01-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #51

Photos: Albums
Hi,
my first DSLR was Nikon D40, which I loved and enjoyed using it. I am still keeping it..
Last month I wanted to upgrade my Camera, and as a old Nikon user I was in between D7000, D300s and D700.
Since D7000 IQ and low ISO performance is better than D300s, I spent too much time to decide between D7000 and D700.
I decided D7000 finally by considering D700 is going to be replaced with newer version and very expensive and weighty Nikkor full frame lenses made me afraid after D40..

I have used D7000 for one week (incl, 18-205 kit lens; which is quite sharp all around xoom range).
Overall it was quite nice. My friend has D90 which is a great camera.
Viewfinder was great, ergonimocs was good, size was ideal..
However I experienced AF was not very effective in low light. And it ws tend to overesposure all the time.
If you ask me it was not big upgrade over D90 or even to my D40 in terms of IQ. However low ISO was good, where as color retention was not that good.
I couldn't find what was looking for with D7000.
Anyway I returned... and was planning to go full frame D700... (D700 makes sense)

Anyways that time, I found review of K-5 and I decided why not trying a new brand!... ))
(all my friends shocked!!
because I felt that with Nikon and Canon either full frame or not!
better to buy D3100 instead of D7000...
anyway,

now I have K-5 since 2 weeks.

my imporessions:

1) Pentax has QC problems (there is sensor stain in my copy and I will retun it now, so be carefull!)
2) Pentax is smaller than D7000. Since D7000 wider at holing unit, it is no doubt more ergonomic, even D90 is more ergonomic, yes maybe K-5 is more stable and like a tank with full metal body but its holdung unit is smaller. Especially your little finger is almost on air since and shutter speed wheel stands behind your forefinger..
i dont' have huge hand, just average, even smaller, so I can't believe how come Pentax fans keep calling K-5 is more ergonimic or even it is not ergonomic itself...!!!! i am 100% sure about it..
3) Pentax kit lens 18-55 is much behind D7000's kit lens as a zoom range, so try to buy body only (yes still I am in favour of K-5 ) also overall shapness of Nikoor is better...
However K-5 kit lens gives always stars with 6 edges with almost in all f values, which is not there at all with Nikkor, also wheather seal lens Pentax body and lens gives you freedom!! at heawy rains...
3) low iso color retention with K-5 is better...
at iso1600 f5.6 in decent light, K-5 gives wonderfull printable images (better than D90 with 50mm f1.8 lens which is a great lens)
4) K-5 has better auto WB managment!
5) Pentax files sizes are much bigger (unnecessarily big in my opinion), bette to get a faster SD card.
6) Pentax menus and usage is more flexible
7) Pentax has its own effective image stabilization unit attached to body, so big advantage..
8) Once you move to Pentax, you will see camera racism from your Nikon adn Canon friends... they are tend to downgrade Pentax images... but it is not true.

I am still ttesting camera, overall you wil need a good lesn from Pentax, if you can get it, I think it is a good camrea,
But Nikon is a great brand.. D700 rules I think...

kind regards,
01-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Nomad ... Pentax have themselves stated that the only affected batch (stains) was the first one. Serial numbers are easily checked and I'm sure you could find a seller who would either give you the number or accept returns (a la Amazon) or exchanges. The stain issue has been resolved it seems.

01-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Its not, Nikon themselves does not rate it for more than "85% humidity, and no condensation"!

says as much on the specs on the official Nikon JP website.
01-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
choose Nikon or Pentax they both do very well, Pentax does not have a large lens selection like Nikon does but I never understood why beginners were turned on by that.
+1..and actually there are good lenses from Pentax to choose from.

and talk about size. my photo bag contains a K200d with the da12-24, K-5 with da55-300 and two primes: FA50 1.4, da35 2.4. plus hoods pump etc. For my short walks I never take the bag with me just the two cameras one around the neck and one on a shoulder. This is the most flexible combo I can imagine-shooting mainly wide but the k-5 is always at hand when a bird arrives..and this is only possible thanks to the size of Pentax gear. My K-x with the cheap but very good F35-105 is now always in my pilot-case as it replaced my regular P&S camera.

Some time ago I was looking at the D90-really liked the bright VF and liked the fact that there are nice affordable Tokinas around (like the 11-16 2.8) but when I first saw the 70-300 VR..I told myself noo it's too big.

now with the K-5 (or even from a K10d if you are a landscape shooter where AF is not that important) switching to another APS-C sensor camera doesn't really look like an upgrade )..for me upgrading means buying into a D700 (sevenhundred) and enjoying some of the advantages the FF sensor offers. (and enjoying it's price and size (again)).

and the bag with a 0.5 Litre bottle for size comparison:

Andras
01-30-2011, 02:07 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by muratm Quote
2) Pentax is smaller than D7000. Since D7000 wider at holing unit, it is no doubt more ergonomic, even D90 is more ergonomic
the d7000 more ergonomic? no its not, it has not enough depth in its grip and its buttons are placed in utterly useless places.
01-30-2011, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
the d7000 more ergonomic? no its not, it has not enough depth in its grip and its buttons are placed in utterly useless places.
for me ergonomy is not directly related its button placement... (in this aspect K-5 is much better I agree)
for me holding the camera and the comfortable feeling that you get, comes first when you speak about ergonomy...
D7000 and similarly D90 has more depth for sure... compare to K-5
numbers can't lie:
D7000
132 x 105 x 77 mm / 780 g
K-5
131 x 97 x 73 mm / 740 g

there 105 vs 97 means when you can grasp the camera your palm is open 1 cm more.. if you open your hand wider than it means your palm touches the side of camera and your fingers has more flexibility to move... as much as you close your hand like the case with K-5, your fingers are stay longer for the aperture and shutter wheels anymore.. and you need to make bigger movements with your index/fore finger...

much more ergonomic models had more depth like:
7D --> 148 x 111 x 74 mm
D300s --> 147 x 114 x 74 mm (one of the best)

this is no doubt, whoever tells K-5 is more ergonimic than D7000 does not value to me at all... unless he or she has below average tiny hands...

hope i am clear..

kind regards,
01-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #57
Inactive Account

The K-7 (and I'm assuming K-5 because they have the same chassis) has the best ergos of any camera I've ever used (I have average to small hands). On it's own the chassis can feel a little short and your pinky is left out, however add a BG4 grip to it and it feels wonderful.

I haven't felt a D7K, however the Nikon's that I have used definitely feel deeper in the body and pending your hand size the buttons can become a bit of a reach. Previously I used the AF-ON button on Pentax to focus, but have needed to switch to using the shutter half-press on Nikon bodies.

c[_]
01-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ergonomics are a hard thing to argue about, because a lot of what you like depends on what you have used in the past. I like the K5 body style, but I like it a lot better with a grip. It just feels comfortable. However, put a DA limited on a K5 (without the grip) and you have a camera that will slip into a corner to go anywhere.
01-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #59
Inactive Account

Im sorry I've caused offence , but I think you'll find mine is not the only ruffled feather post in this thread regarding Nikonites posting in a pentax forum.

Im new here, so perhaps my opinion doesn't carry any of the weight that a seasoned member such as yourself carries...but from a new users perspective, your comments and SIG, take the essence of a thinly veiled Nikon Troll....

snip...
Tommot, if you'd like to discuss this further feel free to drop me a PM so that we can keep this thread on topic.

Cheers!

c[_]
01-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Tommot, if you'd like to discuss this further feel free to drop me a PM so that we can keep this thread on topic.

Cheers!

c[_]
Im good
Ive said my two bobs worth, and probably to much

...If Ive unjustly accused you of trolling, please accept my genuine apology..