Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K5 is awesome, and non citrus fruit like

Yet another pointless thread...but I felt the need for some Ying, to all the Yang.

K5, without doubt the best Camera I've ever owned..sure its had teething issues...what doesnt...

High ISO is awesome
DR is fantastic
Build is in another world
Design is something to behold
Image quality is WOW
It does 1080 movies TOO.!!!!!
etc
etc
etc.

01-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Yet another pointless thread...but I felt the need for some Ying, to all the Yang.

K5, without doubt the best Camera I've ever owned..sure its had teething issues...what doesnt...

High ISO is awesome
DR is fantastic
Image quality is WOW
etc
etc
etc.
Hi Tom.
Glad to see that you like your K5.
Pointless thread ... ? No. Actually, it is rather a pleasing one to read after all of the negative feedback of the past few weeks.

Just got my K5 (third one actually) and this time: all is well!! Mind you, I have taken only 100 pics for "testing" and so far I agree with you on all of your points and that:
1. the AF is GREAT! (AF.S and AF.C)
2. great performance at high ISO with the AF as well (took some bird shots - sparrows - to check for that)
3. the shutter .... even quieter than that of my K7.
4. inside shots: great too! I haven't really checked for the dreaded AF under low-light Tungsten light thing.

I used TAv without worrying much about what the camera would pick for ISO ... no disappointment.
No stain issue either. (I read that this will sometimes "flare up" after a few hundred pics? but we shall see.)

I will eventually post some pics in my Albums, but for now I am too busy trying it out and reading the manual/recommendations here.

Cheers! and enjoy the K5.

JP
01-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We need a lemon to zing up this thread...

01-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm busy making lemonade with mine

01-30-2011, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #5

I had to agreed with Tom. I have a K5 as well... And the pictures from this camera is just fantastic~! Luckily mine does not have the stain issue or maybe I dunno how to test it out. So far no problem from the camera yet... Just that sometimes I had some problem with the white balance (could be my problem)...
01-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I read this somewhere...and again scratch my head in wonderment why anyone would send back such a wonderful tool for another? It is like saying I have a wonderful wife, but will trade her for a new one at my earliest opportunity?

"if its discovered that the new batch of K5.s are all clear from FF, then Ill be returning mine too, but at the moment Ill wait for a firmware fix..

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/130810-some-perspective-...#ixzz1CZgSXkiz

If you are as satisfied as you claim everyone else should be, just stick with what you have and stop looking contradictory to your own words.
Best Regards
01-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
..sure its had teething issues...what doesnt
Rupert Please read the above statement...and sure Id send mine back in a heartbeat if its found that FF is hardware based , and its been fixed in new batches..

I still say its the best camera I've ever owned...regardless of a minor FF problem {THAT MINE HAS}

stop scratching that head Buddy, as your hair might not last..

you need to splash the cash on one .. you'll know what I and others are talking about then

oh and Ive never said I was 100% satisfied?...just 95%

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I read this somewhere...and again scratch my head in wonderment why anyone would send back such a wonderful tool for another? It is like saying I have a wonderful wife, but will trade her for a new one at my earliest opportunity?

"if its discovered that the new batch of K5.s are all clear from FF, then Ill be returning mine too, but at the moment Ill wait for a firmware fix..

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/130810-some-perspective-...#ixzz1CZgSXkiz

If you are as satisfied as you claim everyone else should be, just stick with what you have and stop looking contradictory to your own words.
Best Regards

01-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL creampuff..classic
01-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

Photos: Albums

I still say its the best camera I've ever owned...regardless of a minor FF problem {THAT MINE HAS}
I agree 100%

Peter
01-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Rupert Please read the above statement...and sure Id send mine back in a heartbeat if its found that FF is hardware based , and its been fixed in new batches..

stop scratching that head Buddy, as your hair might not last..

you need to splash the cash on one .. you'll know what I and others are talking about then

oh and Ive never said I was 100% satisfied?...just 95%

That's fair enough, as long as you qualify your statements they are not contradictory. Mrs Rupert is perfect....except......LOL!
BTW- I do not doubt the ability of the K5 to dazzle, I have not heard any complaints on the IQ or other functions that are worthy of notice. If they can get the focus right, you can bet I will own one at my earliest opportunity. It will then meet all my needs I am certain. Heck, it will exceed my needs!

Best Regards!
01-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That's fair enough, as long as you qualify your statements they are not contradictory. Mrs Rupert is perfect....except......LOL!
BTW- I do not doubt the ability of the K5 to dazzle, I have not heard any complaints on the IQ or other functions that are worthy of notice. If they can get the focus right, you can bet I will own one at my earliest opportunity. It will then meet all my needs I am certain. Heck, it will exceed my needs!

Best Regards!
no worries mate..hopefully you wont have to wait to long for that to happen...
01-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'll just quickly chime in with my two cents:

The K-5 is a fantastic camera. I don't think it's a lemon, but I do look forward to both the sensor stain and FF issues being fully resolved. I bought one of the first K-5 bodies back in September and got a replacement a couple months later. Both bodies had sensor stains and some minor FF issues in low light. I recently returned the second body and am currently waiting a few weeks/months before trying again. In the meantime I bought a K-x to use since I sold my original K-x to fund the K-5.
02-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm on my second body now, both have been affected by the spots but I will use this one for a couple of months as I am on a long trip and didn't have time to send it in before I left. I haven't been able to spot the spots [!] in every day photos so it doesn't really bother me.

It's a good camera for sure, but far from my ideal camera. Many things can be improved, starting with getting the sensor size right
02-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
High ISO is awesome
DR is fantastic
Image quality is WOW
etc
etc
etc.
I am waiting for my new copy K-5 due to stain issue, hope new copy will not FF problem as well... after short lemony introduction, I agree with most of thing above...

Only one thing.. and nobody likes to mention as far as I see...

It doesn't feel deeper in the body and pending your hand size the buttons can become a bit of a reach...

yes I know K-5 has a very sound build quality with some superior sealings. yes it is compact, nice tecture... but some extra grip would be much much better... and I don't believe this would effect its compact status even... for me after testing D7000 and 7D or even D90 it is a bit disappointment and in some ascpects quite important point.

not related maybe, so with apology but with a short impression from the threats I read here, I see some Pentaxian in forum hates to hear anything negative about pentax, and they are not open to hear anything other than what they are used to with their own experiences...
i have to mention this because i believe some ready to write me you don't know how to hold... )) so funny...
02-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry, but you are all wrong: The k5 is a horrible, horrible camera.

For your own sakes, get rid of it immediately!

Out of pure altruism, I offer my help in this: I will buy a used one, just to help you move on and get a real camera. Obviously, this is a selfless action, so I expect to get it cheap.

(Also saves me from waiting for the price to drop below my budget limit )