Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

Shutter Life v.s. Half-Press AF Life?

hi, Guys,

As in the title, a quick question: the k-5's(or k-7, k20d, etc.) shutter life is designed to be more than 100k. So what about the Half-Press AF life?

My experience is that in some certain cases, when I take a picture, I half-press 3--5 times to auto-focus... So is there a longevity for the half-press? I am worrying that someday, the half-press refuses to work, or in less severe cases, it becomes very sensitive or very insensitive, which will of course impact the shutter.

01-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Manufacturers specify shutter life because the shutter is a mechanical part that is stressed under use.

The "half-press" for AF doesn't stress any part. I don't think you'll kill the button in your lifetime and focusing is distributed over all lenses you use. Apart from a few SDM models, there are no lenses that are prone to fail because of too much AF.

In summary, you don't need to worry about overusing the half-press functionality.
01-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The shutter life rating is for the shutter inside the body, that is the actual shutter curtain that blocks the sensor and opens for exposure. The shutter release button is just a button and not rated for life span.

That is not to say that it won't wear out or start sticking, but that's more likely from external physical damage (I dropped my K-x a few times, and now the button sometimes sticks). The shutter wears out because it undergoes a lot of stress to open and close at such high speeds. If you don't take a picture, there is no effect on the shutter because it never opens. Half pressing causes effectively no stress (it's just an electrical contact), and unless damaged from external factors, it should last far longer than the actual shutter itself. I've not heard of anyone causing the in-body AF screwdrive to fail from normal wear and tear either.

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-30-2011 at 04:37 PM.
01-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think that the shutter/half-press switch is the first to let go. This is just my opinion, not based on any fact. It should be an "easy" fix, if that happens.
The next in line for failure could be the screw-drive motor.

01-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yes but your shutter would break before either of these
01-31-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Eiköhän nämä mekanismit kestä monta kameran ikää. Jos lasketaan, että joka kahden vuoden välein tulee uusi versio kamerasta. Ja silloinhan vaihdetaan kamera uuteen parannettuun malliin
01-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shang Quote
hi, Guys,

As in the title, a quick question: the k-5's(or k-7, k20d, etc.) shutter life is designed to be more than 100k. So what about the Half-Press AF life?

My experience is that in some certain cases, when I take a picture, I half-press 3--5 times to auto-focus... So is there a longevity for the half-press? I am worrying that someday, the half-press refuses to work, or in less severe cases, it becomes very sensitive or very insensitive, which will of course impact the shutter.
As long as these issues are in the back of your mind when shooting you are subconsciously less relaxed when deciding upon whether to take that shot

IOW don't worry about it and take pics

I've had my K-5 2 weeks and I've taken roughly 6600 pics with it. You can alwasy buy a new/repair a camera, you cannot ever recreate a moment.

01-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
You can always buy a new/repair a camera, you cannot ever recreate a moment.
Well said!

I baby my equipment and try to not waste shutter lifetime but at the end of the day one should not lose moments/quality just to go easy on the equipment.
02-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Forum Member

Enjoy the camera and take lots of pictures. I suspect before your shutter wears out, you will be struck down by a Camera Buying Adiction - and you will buy the newest and greatest camera. You will not wear out your K-5, it will become obsolete in your eyes. Enjoy the K-5 before the adiction strikes.

By the way have you experienced the more common LBA yet. You should read about the Pentax Limited Primes.
02-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #10

you should worry about taking good pics instead of this...
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I limit myself to a maximum of 10000 photos per day in order to preserve my shutter half-press life. So far I've never had a failure of this part.
02-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, in about every 10 days or so you reach the shutter design life limit. What is your total shot count so far?.
Your mountain shots are very nice BTW.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-03-2011 at 06:18 PM.
02-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Personally I limit myself to a maximum of 10000 photos per day in order to preserve my shutter half-press life. So far I've never had a failure of this part.
hee hee
02-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
So, in about every 10 days or so you reach the shutter design life limit. What is your total shot count so far?.
Your mountain shots are very nice BTW.
I'm just teasing
02-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kinda thought so. 10000 frames does not give you a very long stop-motion video.

"half-press 3--5 times to auto-focus", so is the shutter button rated for half a million actuation's?.
Or does anyone really care.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-05-2011 at 06:09 PM.