Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In addition to the many advantages of fast primes noted above might I add they are always brighter in the viewfinder. This advantage is present at all times and makes it easier to compose an image. If you have never looked through a viewfinder with a f 1.4 or 1.2 lens you are missing a treat. Looking through the finder with a slow zoom is like staring down a dark tunnel by comparison. The added speed is just a bonus if you need it.

Tom G

02-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
In addition to the many advantages of fast primes noted above might I add they are always brighter in the viewfinder. This advantage is present at all times and makes it easier to compose an image. If you have never looked through a viewfinder with a f 1.4 or 1.2 lens you are missing a treat. Looking through the finder with a slow zoom is like staring down a dark tunnel by comparison. The added speed is just a bonus if you need it.

Tom G
I don't hate fast lenses. I have some which I cherish, and we always have to compromise. Weight, bulk, and cost all increase rapidly and lenses get faster. If you get one you have to manage those problems whether you use the speed or not.