Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is this a stain on my k-5?

Hi,

I noticed this on my k-5 and tried cleaning it but no luck--attached is a crop. Does it look like a stain or dust? It's small and not a "string" but I couldn't remove it with the Pentax sensor cleaning kit.
Thanks!

Brad

Attached Images

02-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd venture that it is a stain.
02-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be- but it might also be dust. Try cleaning the sensor, and then take another test shot at F16. If more dots show up, it's a stain.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
looks like the stain... kinda. What f stop is this? Look like the stain at a lower f number than is ideal for identifying it.

02-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It was f 22.
02-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It definitely does resemble a stain (with a smaller one right above it). It has the dark center and halo.
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. I guess I'll send it in; doesn't really bother me in most photos but might as well get it fixed.

02-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'd venture that it is a stain.
hi, please check this link from dpreview:
Pentax releases service notice for K-5 DSLR: Digital Photography Review
02-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I had six or seven on my sensor, not the typical string of pearls other users are getting. I tried cleaning several time, and sent it in to Pentax Canada, and they sent me a new camera.
02-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I also figured out a stain on my sensor but remain in dilemma whether to return the camera or continue using as it is. Here are a sample shot I made with 1/180 shutter speed @ F/8

When you look at the whoel frame, IT's hard to explore the stain beside the minarets on the left side of Hagia Sophia. Then I made 100% crop where the stain is clearly visible but such things can easyly be retouched with PS healing brush. Do you really think it is worth to return the camera for such a thing. Some people says second hand selling price will drop. Why... If the person whom will buy also knows how to use PS healing brush, why it should drop because of this. In my case I live in IStanbul but I bought the camera from Germany. Now do you guys really recommend me to return this camera?
Attached Images

02-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Ei kaikki tahrat ole kuolemaksi. iPentax K-5 tahrat oli samanlaisia, kun usein forums kuvatut. minun K-5 oli alle viikon huollossa puhdistivat kennon ja taas on kun uusi. Kotikonstein en saanut tahroja poistettua. Eli iPentax K-5 on paras ei vikoja ollenkaan. En vaihda ikinä canon tai nikon, olen Pentax man.
02-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by cem.kumuk Quote
I also figured out a stain on my sensor but remain in dilemma whether to return the camera or continue using as it is. Here are a sample shot I made with 1/180 shutter speed @ F/8

When you look at the whoel frame, IT's hard to explore the stain beside the minarets on the left side of Hagia Sophia. Then I made 100% crop where the stain is clearly visible but such things can easyly be retouched with PS healing brush. Do you really think it is worth to return the camera for such a thing. Some people says second hand selling price will drop. Why... If the person whom will buy also knows how to use PS healing brush, why it should drop because of this. In my case I live in IStanbul but I bought the camera from Germany. Now do you guys really recommend me to return this camera?
Have you tried dust removal? In-camera and/or blower? Does dust-mapping recognize it? Obvious first steps to take before considering warranty return.
It's hard to tell from the posted images, but that does not look like the typical stain - no halo effect in the spot. So, my first guess is dirt. It needs a simple cleaning, not replacement.

(then again, if you look real hard - there could be a halo there. But - try cleaning first)
02-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #13

I wish It was dust only but I could not clean with typical inhouse cleaning methods. Perhaps a professional touch may be different but I don't think so. Here another shot I'd made with 1/350 shutter speed @ F/19. What do you think, stain or dust? If this is a stain would you live with it and use PS healing brush or would you return the camera?

02-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #14

I wish It was dust only but I could not clean with typical inhouse cleaning methods. Perhaps a professional touch may be different but I don't think so. Here another shot I'd made with 1/350 shutter speed @ F/19. What do you think, stain or dust? If this is a stain would you live with it and use PS healing brush or would you return the camera?
That's fairly conclusive - the sensor has stains. So now it's a choice as to how long you put up with it before getting it looked at by Pentax. With the flurry of exchanges going on right now, it might be best to wait until the dust has settled (ahem) before you send it away.
02-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't think than a pro touch will change anything, i'm afraid than you have to replace your camera.