Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In-camera lens correction speed of K5 over K7

I'm hoping somebody can comment, based on personal experience, about the K5's speed in correction for lens distortion and CA versus the K7.

A common question on PF discusses why any given DSLR, usually a K7 or K-x, is rather sluggish to respond after taking a photo. The typical response from forum members is to ask if the photographer has the distortion and/or aberration correction settings turned on, as these settings will affect camera responsiveness.

As a rule I have left the automatic corrections off on my K7, although I do wonder about the effectiveness of the CA corrections. Can anybody state, one way or another, if the processing times have improved on the K5 over the K7?

02-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Banned

Well the K-5 is a slower camera then the K-7, making the extra waiting time not so painfull.

I only use these settings on my DA14mm where I shoot RAW+, otherwise I'm shooting RAW only.
02-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well the K-5 is a slower camera then the K-7, making the extra waiting time not so painfull.
Am I understanding that correctly? The K-5 is actually slower to respond?

Something I considered as a factor is that the K-5 shoots 14bit RAW instead of 12bit, and by extension the file size is larger.
02-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Banned

well that and the fact that it is handling more megapixels makes the K-5 slower then the K-7, having the same processor.

02-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just read a short review of the K-5 in a magazine where they commented on how the lens correction really slowed down the camera and had to be turned off. Strange though that they loved the D7000 and never noticed its weedy buffer that slows the camera to a crawl much too soon for a £1k camera.
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Strange though that they loved the D7000 and never noticed its weedy buffer that slows the camera to a crawl much too soon for a £1k camera.
I wonder if the Nikon raw files are significantly smaller than the K5's? I read somewhere that the D7000 uses lossy raw files (which seems very strange for me -- if I want lossy compression, surely that's what jpeg is for... ? Does Nikon do this to compensate for slow processing?) and -- well, does the K5 use lossless raw? I had assumed so. In any event, I find myself wondering whether my computer will be able to handle Lightroom processing of such large files; it's sluggish enough when working with K7 raw files.