Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lynx426 Quote
Okay, how about this, I bought mine here in Japan. S/N 3916XXX and had the sensor problem right in the middle of the frame. I called the service center here and they told me to ship it to them in Tokyo. It took one week from the time it left my hands until the door bell rang to get my K5 back, completely fixed and ready to rock. Same camera S/N 3916XXX. I am now a very happy camper with a very nice camera.
wow you got your own camera back. That is not the case in Europe at the time. You get a defferent new body back with a new serialnumber. Also taking a lot more time at the moment, but that is maybe also traveling time included. Pentax Germany started to do the change themselves.

02-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lynx426 Quote
Okay, how about this, I bought mine here in Japan. S/N 3916XXX and had the sensor problem right in the middle of the frame. I called the service center here and they told me to ship it to them in Tokyo. It took one week from the time it left my hands until the door bell rang to get my K5 back, completely fixed and ready to rock. Same camera S/N 3916XXX. I am now a very happy camper with a very nice camera.

That's a happy story and I wish we saw more just like it. I guess the size of the problem prevents that on a worldwide basis, which is really quite understandable. Still, it is good to see that one person was made whole again in a timely manner!
Regards
02-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
If you check the exif, there are two serial numbers, one the body and one called "internal serial number". Not sure if the internal serial would ever change.
Are the external and internal serial numbers the same?
02-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, they are different:

$ exiftool K5A_3629.PEF | grep Serial

Internal Serial Number : 2072
Serial Number : 3823965