Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #1

Sell refurbished camera as new?

If Pentax replaces a stained sensor from returning stock, do they have to reveal that it is refurbished or can they sell it as new? Does anyone know the legalities on this?

02-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

That is so going to vary from country to country that you won't be able to get a single definitive answer.
02-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But it is a pretty interesting question nonetheless...

Those interested in a refurb K5 will probably keep an eye on Prodigital in the months to come as he does seem to get batches of "Refurb" cameras now and then (Which are advertized as "Refurb" of course).

Pat
02-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There's nothing stopping them from reclaiming the parts from the returned cameras and putting them back on the production line. No one would be any the wiser.

02-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
There's nothing stopping them from reclaiming the parts from the returned cameras and putting them back on the production line. No one would be any the wiser.
And as long as they replace the defective part(s) I don't see why it would be a problem.
02-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wouldn't the serial numbers on the camera's body give it away as being refurbished???
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Wouldn't the serial numbers on the camera's body give it away as being refurbished???
Only if they left the original serial number on it

02-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thinking back a few years now, I remember buying a pair of speakers. Of course one failed after the warranty expired so i took it apart to see if a wire had come loose. Written inside the cabinet in a felt pen was "repaired".So I guess you can sell a refurbished item as new,at least in Canada. I also remember I wasn't overly thrilled with the retailer who sold it to me.
02-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zugzwang Quote
Thinking back a few years now, I remember buying a pair of speakers. Of course one failed after the warranty expired so i took it apart to see if a wire had come loose. Written inside the cabinet in a felt pen was "repaired".So I guess you can sell a refurbished item as new,at least in Canada. I also remember I wasn't overly thrilled with the retailer who sold it to me.

Actually you aren't supposed to represent refurbs as new in Canada. I never did in 25 years in retail

Who sold you the speakers?

I would think the k5's will go out as refurbs myself over a couple of different markets that can move them quickly
There is no value in sending them out as anything else and it would cost more to break them down and recycle through the line than to just take the hit for refurb and get it into the past

if it's hot enough i may even be tempted, my k10 was a refurb
02-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Actually you aren't supposed to represent refurbs as new in Canada. I never did in 25 years in retail

Who sold you the speakers?
Really? It was a place called Future Shop. Do yo have them back east?
My personal boycott from them continues.........
02-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you check the exif, there are two serial numbers, one the body and one called "internal serial number". Not sure if the internal serial would ever change.
02-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Really? It was a place called Future Shop. Do yo have them back east?
My personal boycott from them continues.........
We have them, they have changed though since then (owned by Best Buy now) I actually worked for them and I can tell you that now things are marked refurb or open box up front, and people have been fired for misrepresenting stuff. I came on board when they were making serious changes, I have lots of issues with them on a personal level (they are hell to work for as a manager) but i would be very surprised to see that kind of thing happen now (the old guard who pulled crap like this are pretty much all gone now, or they learned and adapted)
Still wouldn't buy my audio there though (more about the selection than the store) I tend to deal with independents when i can, better service and better product (at least if they aren't targeting the down and dirty low end of the market then Best buy and future shop would be the better place to go for a price match. I would imagine London Drugs out west is probably as bad as Future shop if not worse at this point
02-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
If you check the exif, there are two serial numbers, one the body and one called "internal serial number". Not sure if the internal serial would ever change.
I'm guessing it could be changed but the trouble of doing it would probably not be worth the time investment, hence why i say they'll go out as refurbs
BTW if it helps any Pentax labels their refurb boxes pretty plainly so it would be tough for someone to represent it as new
02-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #14

This doesn't always mean it was sold- could have happened on the production line too- fails the final check and gets kicked back. Happens all the time. Usually a manuf. would use some less permanent method of marking though. . .
02-05-2011, 03:01 AM   #15

Okay, how about this, I bought mine here in Japan. S/N 3916XXX and had the sensor problem right in the middle of the frame. I called the service center here and they told me to ship it to them in Tokyo. It took one week from the time it left my hands until the door bell rang to get my K5 back, completely fixed and ready to rock. Same camera S/N 3916XXX. I am now a very happy camper with a very nice camera.