Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If you have owned a K-5, please choose the options that apply:
I own a K-5 and am completely satisfied with its performance. No problems. 3941.94%
I purchased a K-5 but returned it to the dealer after discovering problems. 55.38%
I purchased a K-5 but exchanged it with the dealer for a new K-5. 1819.35%
I own a K-5 that has been returned to Pentax and repaired to my satisfaction. 22.15%
I own a K-5 that has been returned to Pentax but has not been returned to me. 88.60%
I own a K-5 that has been returned to Pentax and was returned with problems not fixed. 44.30%
I own a K-5 that has problems but have not yet returned it for service. 1718.28%
My K-5 had a serial number starting with 38 and exhibited sensor stains. 3335.48%
My K-5 had a serial number starting with 39 or greater and exhibited sensor stains. 88.60%
My K-5 has/had problems with front or back focus. 1920.43%
My K-5 has/had problems with focus in tungsten/incandescent light. 2526.88%
My K-5 has/had problems with freezing during rapid shooting. 55.38%
My K-5 has/had problems with exposure when using external flash. 1313.98%
My K-5 has/had problems other than mentioned above. 55.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #16

I have had a K-5 for since January 25 and have taken close to 700 shots (about 1/2 on walkabouts and 1/2 testing for stains, comparing lenses and dialing in microadjustments). I love the camera and have not experienced any issues, but have not tested everything in the poll (low light tungsten/external flash/rapid shooting). I answered poll with option 1 - completely satisfied, thought since I haven't tested all poll options, I feel I must qualify my answer.

02-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Oh look, the non owner Pentax troll is here ruining another thread..
Grow up.
.....uhhh, I think you just proved his point. Thank you!
Regards!
02-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
.....uhhh, I think you just proved his point. Thank you!
Regards!
You also need to grow up. This is a poll for actual owners of the K-5, not yet another place for your endless pontificating and diarrea of the mouth.. What was the point of Don's baiting, or your repeated postings here? Let the poll speak. You seriously need to get a life..
02-04-2011, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #19

Oh look, the non owner Pentax troll is here ruining another thread..
Grow up.
+1 Don, what is your deal? You have no vested interest in this camera, and show up to bash it at every opportunity. I might even say revel in bashing it. It makes you look like a tool. Or someone with an agenda.

As for the poll, what a joke. 14 choices, 13 of which involve something negative, and you can choose all of them with each vote? What do you think the results are going to be?

Here's my poll: who thinks we're seeing a real live guerrilla FUD campaign here?

02-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'd like to see a similar Poll side by side with the K20D, one of the most trusted and respected cameras out there, Pentax or otherwise. If you compared the two, you would almost have to conclude that at least from the customer satisfaction standpoint, Pentax is going backwards. Progress in technology is only progress if it works and delivers happy customers....not just for Pentax but for any company that wants to stay in the game. The Marketplace is brutal, most companies understand this, and those that don't learn quickly......or fold.

Pentax has a lot of loyal followers, most are still around waiting and watching. The ball is in Hoya's court. Don't SDM us this time.
FWIW I've owned the K20D, and while it was a very good camera in its time, if I had to choose between a flawless K20D and a flawed K-5 today, I'd take the flawed K-5 in a heartbeat.
02-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #21
Inactive Account

You also need to grow up. This is a poll for actual owners of the K-5, not yet another place for your endless pontificating and diarrea of the mouth.. What was the point of Don's baiting, or your repeated postings here? Let the poll speak. You seriously need to get a life..
Unless they've actually participated in the poll, the results are not affected by them. However, One does not have to own the camera to discuss the results of the poll. If there's any 'baiting' going on, you've taken it, Hook Line and Sinker. And yes, I do own a K5. It arrived in Chandler Az yesterday (2/4).

02-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Unless they've actually participated in the poll, the results are not affected by them. However, One does not have to own the camera to discuss the results of the poll. If there's any 'baiting' going on, you've taken it, Hook Line and Sinker. And yes, I do own a K5. It arrived in Chandler Az yesterday (2/4).

You are right. I did take the bait. Just fed up with the direction this forum has taken lately..was hoping others felt the same way. Oh well, I'm going to go back to enjoying MY Flawless K-5.

02-05-2011, 03:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

My first body had the bounce flash overexposure problem (noticed this very early on) and later developed the stains. At first they weren't too bad and I thought I could just ignore them, but then they actually got darker and more noticeable over time, so I sent it in.

My second body has no stains (so far, and I don't expect any), but it still has the exact same flash problem, so I reluctantly have to vote that I "sent it in and it came back still with a problem", even though it's not really a big deal, as dialing down a few stops of flash EV compensation makes it usable the majority of the time. I can wait for a firmware fix. The reason I sent in the camera was fixed.

Neither body exhibits any FF issue in low light. Actually, the majority of my lenses have/had slight backfocus, but they had similar behavior on my K-x, so that is a problem with the lenses, not the body.
02-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I received my K-5 last week. The first thing I did was to test the sesnor and it was clean. I then turned the lights down and shot a yard-stick. The focus was perfect. I then shot bounced flash shots and the expsure was perfect. I am still in the honeymoon stage of camera ownership so I am extremely happy with th camera. It is an improvement over my K-7.
02-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #25
Banned

Ooops, number now happy with their K-5 for the $1,500 they exchanged for it is now at a little better than 41%. Now, that's performance. Let me close my eyes. What do I see in my future? Ahhh, it's a D7000; not, it's a D7.

And, no, I am far from a troll. Read my history on this site. I own some of the very best Pentax glass out there, as well as a couple of the best pieces Sigma makes for this brand (i.e., Sigma EX DG 180mm Macro and Sigma EX DG 100-300mm, F4). So, please don't call me a malcontent and shite disturber. So, why do I continue to post on this thread? It just irks the hell out of me that a large corporate electronics manufacturer can demand an unreasonable price for this camera body when the quality of the unit appears to be utter crap for far too many buyers. It irks me even more that I really, really want to buy this unit and soon, but am so pissed with the brand that I just might move on. There have to be others out there of the same persuasion. Have a great day, ya'll. Go, Heels, Go.
02-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ donallison
Well from where I sit you ARE a troll. You've made your point already, and then you made it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. The horse is dead already, anyone you reads the K-5 forum gets it that you don't like the camera. We truly do understand your position. Why do you have to try to force it on us yet again?
BTW I know quite a bit about polling and this poll is not exactly neutral. And it also doesn't even begin to reach a significant # of K-5 owners. It only reaches the K-5 owners who have read this forum AND decided to respond to the poll. A very small subset of K-5 owners.
In addition the poll is loaded with negative questions, so I don't expect it accurately reflect ANYTHING except the very very small subset of people who decided to respond to it.

NaCl(give it a rest will ya? maybe you should figure out what to do now that larry drew has left UNC)H2O
02-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd like to see a similar Poll side by side with the K20D, one of the most trusted and respected cameras out there, Pentax or otherwise. If you compared the two, you would almost have to conclude that at least from the customer satisfaction standpoint, Pentax is going backwards. Progress in technology is only progress if it works and delivers happy customers....not just for Pentax but for any company that wants to stay in the game. The Marketplace is brutal, most companies understand this, and those that don't learn quickly......or fold.

Pentax has a lot of loyal followers, most are still around waiting and watching. The ball is in Hoya's court. Don't SDM us this time.
From my prospective, that is not true. Having owned both a K20D and a K5, I am more pleased with the K5. The K20D is a great camera, but it has issues and the K5 is better - period. I am one of the early buyers who received one with stains on the sensor, but Pentax stepped up to the plate, not by fixing the camera, but by replacing it - no questions asked. That, IMHO is great customer service. I worked in manufacturing for almost 40 years, and every manufacture produces a faulty product. The true test is what they do to make it right. As for a comparison poll between the two, I would suggest you wait until the K5 has been out as long as the K20D has if you really want meaningful data.
02-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
@ donallison
Well from where I sit you ARE a troll. You've made your point already, and then you made it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. The horse is dead already, anyone you reads the K-5 forum gets it that you don't like the camera. We truly do understand your position. Why do you have to try to force it on us yet again?
BTW I know quite a bit about polling and this poll is not exactly neutral. And it also doesn't even begin to reach a significant # of K-5 owners. It only reaches the K-5 owners who have read this forum AND decided to respond to the poll. A very small subset of K-5 owners.
In addition the poll is loaded with negative questions, so I don't expect it accurately reflect ANYTHING except the very very small subset of people who decided to respond to it.

NaCl(give it a rest will ya? maybe you should figure out what to do now that larry drew has left UNC)H2O
Hi, ya'll. Let's start with your finish: Larry Drew leaving the Heels is a damn Godsend. We couldn't be happier with this deadbeat with the execution skills of Dumbo going his merry way. As to your first point: Life is like a good play; you got to tell the audience again and again if you want your message understood by all. Also, you may want to read the entire thread. Of course the poll is a flawed instrument. In fact, it couldn't be more slanted in one direction. That being said, any company that has 50% plus of its product coming back to them is hardly concerned with building long-lasting and trusting relationships with its clientele. Thanks for your input. Don
02-05-2011, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
.... That being said, any company that has 50% plus of its product coming back to them is hardly concerned with building long-lasting and trusting relationships with its clientele..... Don
Ah, you don't know that. You are making things up. You can't infer that from the data. And I suspect Pentax is not sharing any information just with you (just a guess).

Perhaps you are following the political practices used nowadays. Keep repeating distortions until they are believed. At one time I would just ignore it, but I think we need to call people on their distortions. This is one of those cases.
02-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #30

Don is now blatantly lying.
any company that has 50% plus of its product coming back to them is hardly concerned with building long-lasting and trusting relationships with its clientele
Sorry Don, you've just pulled this out of your nether regions. There's no way a slanted poll (your words) can give any sort of indication of how many units out of the total produced are affected. I suspect you know this.

As for your being a troll, that seems well established. You're flying around from thread to thread, dropping the same stupid stink bomb and then running away. For the first time I HAVE gone and read your posting history, which seems to mostly revolve around the marketplace. You buy and sell Pentax gear for the most part. So once again, I ask you, what is your agenda here?
so pissed with the brand that I just might move on. There have to be others out there of the same persuasion
Let me guess, you'll buy their gear?
Closed Thread