Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #31
Pentaxian

If the lens is not nailing the focus point, check out fine adjustment of AF AND focusing screen. AF fine adjustment is build in, screen adjustment requires shim kits... available from Pentax.

The distance for testing should be similar to the distance you use most often with a given lens. Avoid extreme close up situations if you typically work at infinity. Even a tele lens should require not more than 10 m distance to determine focus adjustment. Be careful with wide angle lenses - close up perfomance at 1-2 m can be quite different from the infinity setting - another reason to distrust some studio only lens tests!
My 100mm lens is off about +14 out of 10 possible steps and the 300 is off 10 as are all my other lenses... camera is on the way to the service center not the lenses. I will fix the AF performance first and then put in the Katzeye screen. As soon as I am done there will probably be a new Pentax body available.

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks guys,

That's what I thought. I'm not at all satisfied manually focusing with the K5. I find I can get in the ballpark but seldom seem to really nail focus with my longer (100 macro, 200mm, 300mm, 400mm) lenses.

I guess it's time to get a KatzEye screen for the K5 then. It worked beautifully with the K 10. I didn't need any shims with that one.

Hope I'm as lucky with the K5.

Tom G

Last edited by zapp; 12-28-2011 at 01:40 PM.