Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #31
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
My A50/1.2 needs something like a -14. I can use the over all adjustment to give it the additional -4 though but it's a kludge
your manual focus A series lens needs −14 of AF adjustment? ok now im just completely confused.

02-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #32
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"My A50/1.2 needs something like a -14. I can use the over all adjustment to give it the additional -4 though but it's a kludge"

I don't think that will work. According to the manual the overall adjustment appears to supplant the individual one; they are not additive.
Attached Images

02-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Thanks Jeff,
The E-5 with it's smaller and noisier sensor is not an option. I have considered the D7K, but I am reading about it's focus issues too. So now I am down to the Canon 7D and Nikon D300. I like the 16mp resolution for cropping purposes, so the D300 is out. Now I am left with the larger 7D that has slightly inferior sensor than K5. In the end, I would definitely prefer to keep my K5 that focuses properly at low light levels and then the camera will be really great for me.
No doubt the 7D is a fine camera, but a big strike against it, IMO, is size and weight. That monster is almost as big as some of Canon's FF cameras. Also, it does not have in-camera image stabilization, meaning you have to shell out for stabilized lenses. Definitely not worth it, especially if you want to use high quality prime lenses.

Rob
02-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
"My A50/1.2 needs something like a -14. I can use the over all adjustment to give it the additional -4 though but it's a kludge"

I don't think that will work. According to the manual the overall adjustment appears to supplant the individual one; they are not additive.
why would a manual focus lens need auto-focus adjustment?!

02-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Focus confirmation???
02-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Let's give them credit where due, they did respond to the sensor stains and took proper actions in a timely manner. It was unavoidable, but they did move to resolve it.
yup.

-raph
02-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Dammit, your right!

I just tried it. -10 isn't enough. and sadly there isn't a an individual control. Shame I couldn't give the lens an ID by installing a chip from another lens

02-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Yup, and 'accurate' focus confirmation @ f/1.2 would be very very useful indeed. it's acutally very hard to manually focus @ 1.2 as the focus screen sees a smaller aperture and wider DOF. it's taken me ages to learn ghow tofocus the 1.2 by rocking the focus ring back and forth and guess where the middle is. I normally bracket the shots by taking two more shots slightly in front and behind where I think the focal point is.

Anyone with a 1.2 lens will know what I'm talking about

Worth the hassle though!
02-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Indeed, therefore my current workaround this FF issue is to stop down to f/2.4 or f2.8 with -10 AF fine adjustment whenever I work in dim lighting. With noise reduction software I can reduce the increased noise (due to the higher ISO) effectively most of the time.
02-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #40
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course, a possible fix to this whole FF thing might be to expand the range of focus adjustment from +10 to -10 to something like -25 to +25. That, I think, would be possible in firmware and would require only a simple menu adjustment when one knew the light was low. Not a perfect solution, but a workable one. Unless it's a sliding scale as the light gets lower.
02-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better yet, allow lens adjustments +/- 30 to be selectable via USER mode rather than a global value. Then you would have an easy way to adjust for low light focus. This should be easy to do with a firmware fix.
02-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #42
Veteran Member

This is not just a number you put for adjustment , something have to move inside. Could be that is not feasible +-30
02-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #43
Pentaxian

You know why Pentax did not enable AF confirmation for the other positions other than center?
Well, precisely because of unrealistic expectations like these
Putting the function on the datasheet would mean that they need to 'comply' within certain AF accuracies. Not to mention the incessant whining it would produce when such ppl found that it did not work under certain "ding-dong" conditions.

Darn.. how I wish they would have added in the extra focus points anyway and left a conditional footnote Eg. "Not guaranteed/supported function - use at own risk"

Anyway, I trust my eyes for MF more than any focus confirmation. Frees me from focus on center and recompose as well.
02-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #44
Veteran Member

pinholecam, agree with you on this.

BTW here's an available light shot taken handheld with my K-5 with the A50mm f/1.2 outdoors at night. It was so dark outdoors it was hard to make out the subject's face.
Relied on the camera's AF confirmation light and focused on the eye on the left. No AF Fine Adjustment set at all. Looks sharp enough to my eyes.

1/50 sec at f/1.2 ISO 6400

Last edited by creampuff; 02-12-2011 at 01:05 AM.
02-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #45
Veteran Member

What does it cost to repair an SDM lens?

My son had dropped one of his Canon lenses and now the autofocus doesn't work. He was quoted various prices, from £60 to about £200, plus parts.

I was suprised at the £60 because I used to pay several times that to have my old 1970s Olympus lenses cleaned after a sandstorm in Arizona and that was 20+ years ago.