Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilan Quote
I never have the need to switch SR off. When shooting handheld SR is on. When shooting with a tripod I use the 2 second timer. This will turn SR automatically off.
This is what I do.

02-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
Thanks for explanation, but I am just interested - is there any difference between SR ON in settings and shot made without highlighted hand icon at viewfinder (let's say autofocused by AF button), and shot made with SR OFF in settings. Or is that what you mean by saying about 2 shots?

I am sorry for bit offtopic - that's more general question, but I couldn't find the answer.

A.
Probably someone like Falk would be more qualified to give you an answer.

My thoughts on this are - I believe until the SR icon comes on the camera is calibrating the SR.

In which case, my suspicion would be the calibration movement could cause sensor motion blur under certain conditions.

I would prefer to have SR off by turning the function off prior to shooting rather than try and shoot before the SR mechanism has been calibrated (if I understand your post correctly).

In any case, on my camera the SR icon lights up almost the same time as achieving focus.
02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

During the "wait"-time the SR-system is gathering data about your normal shake pattern such as amplitude, frequency and phase so that it can tune in and compensate. If you shoot before this data is collected it will not compensate at all, the mechanical bit is very fast and takes no time at all (relatively) to get ready so it's either on or off and it's the CPU which decides if it's ready or not when you shoot. There shouldn't be any half-ready-failures.

One can however fool it in such a way that it will fail and make things worse. For instance by carefully aiming at something and then suddenly twist and shoot. So when trying to shoot fast and unpredictably moving things it's probably better to turn it off.
02-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What I am trying to say, is that using for autofocus AF button, SR icon doesn't light on (at least on K-x). You can lock focus, recompose as long as you need, but SR icon won't highlight. Only when you half press shutter and wait a moment (one or two seconds on K-x), SR icon highlights. If you lock focus with AF button, and then fully press shutter, you get shot without SR. It is a kind of third SR option and bypass of SR without turning it off at menu settings. And maybe fastest way to avoid it without additional manipulations in menu .
On the other hand, this is correct considering SR icon, but how really sensor behaves I do not know (and couldn't find answer on google or even at Falk's blog).

A.

02-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understood what you were trying to say, arv, just that it's not a very useful option when I'm shooting fast moving objects (eg. birds) and panning the camera at the same time - which are the conditions I want SR turned off.

In situations like that, SR just makes the image looks worse than no SR.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 02-14-2011 at 08:23 PM.
02-20-2011, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

First pushing info button and then moving either roll wheel will turn SR on or off, quite quick and handy but not like a physical lever.
02-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
First pushing info button and then moving either roll wheel will turn SR on or off, quite quick and handy but not like a physical lever.
Thanks! This works, and is the best way so far (3 button presses, and 1 roll of the wheel) - much better than creating two user settings, which were problematic.

I've given you a reputation point.

02-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #23

Well for me its just 1Button 1 Scroll

Info-Button --> Scroll --> Trigger/AF/Shoot
02-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I seem to require two presses of Info before I can use the rotating wheel to toggle the setting.

I'm assuming there is a setting I need to change to only require one press of the Info button?
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Thanks! This works, and is the best way so far (3 button presses, and 1 roll of the wheel) - much better than creating two user settings, which were problematic.

I've given you a reputation point.
Somehow I thought you were already aware of this

02-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Somehow I thought you were already aware of this

no - i was doing INFO INFO OK Right OK INFO which was rather cumbersome - I didn't notice the rotary dial icon
02-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Well for me its just 1Button 1 Scroll

Info-Button --> Scroll --> Trigger/AF/Shoot
+1. Info screen comes up with last used function. If it was SR, then that is what it pops up with.
02-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
What I am trying to say, is that using for autofocus AF button, SR icon doesn't light on (at least on K-x).
I just tried on the K-5, and the AF button does light the SR icon.
02-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
I just tried on the K-5, and the AF button does light the SR icon.
Only if you are not using the AF button for AF.
02-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Minun SR on jalusta ja nopeat valotukset.